PDA

View Full Version : Flight school,

haerra
12th Aug 2014, 19:08
I'm a bit confused. I'm taking theoretical course this autumn but what about the flight instruction? where i have to fly with a instructor. When do i start flying with a instructor?

Jan Olieslagers
13th Aug 2014, 06:32
I do not know neither the laws nor the traditions of flying in Iceland, but in most places the answer would be like "as soon as you can lay hands on a plane and an instructor". Usually, flying lessons are offered by the same "training organisations" that provide ground class.

But, frankly, why don't you ask the people that you will be taking ground class from?

Heston
13th Aug 2014, 06:36
..::Iceland Airclub::. (http://www.icelandairclub.com/index.php?option=com_weblinks&view=category&id=19%3Aaviation-schools-in-iceland&Itemid=48)

There seem to be three flight schools in Iceland. Ask them.

Pirke
13th Aug 2014, 06:59
I never took any theoretical course, started flying with instructor from day 1 and studied for the theoretical exams on my own from a book. No need to pay for something I can do myself.

Jan Olieslagers
13th Aug 2014, 07:22
Pirke, could one still do that today? Under EASA? I don't think so.

Pirke
13th Aug 2014, 07:29
That was 1 year ago, and it's an EASA PPL. I must admit that I needed a signed form from the school to be able to take the exams, but there was luckily no minimum amount of classroom hours required. Compared to the theory of my computer science master the PPL theory was a walk in the park. I took the exams in 2 sessions. First day 3 exams, second day 1 or 2 months later 4 exams.

There are many good books to learn it from. If Dutch I can recommend the Bas Vrijhof books. I even let my wife read some of them. So if something happens to me during flight she at least has some basic knowledge about what it is she's sitting in :)