PDA

View Full Version : morse code help

weedman1990
11th Aug 2014, 19:29
Hi,

Could anybody help me with Morse Code? I have been trying to find a list which is layed out in such a manner such as:

Navaid Code

Lambourne (LAM) .-.. .- --

And so on.

If anybody has a link or something that would help me it would be great.

Thanks

Morris542
11th Aug 2014, 20:02
Jepp IFR charts usually have the morse identifier next to the navaid. That's the only example I can think of close to the format that you are looking for.

Can I ask why/what for? A knee-board with a list of morse code is usually sufficient.

late-joiner
11th Aug 2014, 20:33
Skydemon plogs have navaid plus morse code

Gertrude the Wombat
11th Aug 2014, 21:18
Skydemon plogs have navaid plus morse code
As do my hand written plogs.

Mariner9
11th Aug 2014, 22:08
There won't be that many to learn once NATS start the imminent VOR cull :sad:

g1000
11th Aug 2014, 22:16
Already started up north.. Do you know what their intentions are? Are we all going to be trundling about following our moving maps with GPS when they are all gone..?

Mach Jump
11th Aug 2014, 22:52
Already started up north..

Funny you should say that.

Ottringham has been off for ages now. Is that how they will do it? Take it out of service for extended 'maintainence' and then, if we seem to manage ok without it, we never get it back?

MJ:ok:

hegemon88
12th Aug 2014, 09:29
Are we all going to be trundling about following our moving maps with GPS when they are all gone..?

Perhaps? And then one day the US Taxpayer decides it's too expensive and let's shut the system down :E

/h88

Jan Olieslagers
12th Aug 2014, 09:49
Which is a good reason to use a dual mode GPS/Glonass receiver.
Though I must admit I prefer depending on uncle Sam over depending on the Eastern bear.

gemma10
12th Aug 2014, 11:05
Why not just learn it. You can probably get a random morse tutor from the RSGB, and set your own learning speed. Three sessions a day at 20 mins. each for a month, you will read at 15 wpm.

India Four Two
12th Aug 2014, 12:31
I learned by writing out an upper-case alphabet with a fine pen and then superimposed the dots and dashes on suitable places on the strokes of each letter with a marker pen.

It wasn't my idea, but it worked remarkably well.

Raiz
12th Aug 2014, 17:42
Weedman

I have an excel file with most of the en route nav aids in the UK, as of about 5 years ago, in the format you want. However, I soon gave up and learnt morse code, as others have suggested.

If you PM me your email address, I'll send it to you.

Raiz

Tinstaafl
12th Aug 2014, 21:49
If you decide to learn it, do it as an aural 'language' with its natural rhythm & inflection. For example, B is 'DAH di' di' dit', and not 'dash dot dot dot', L is 'di DAH di' dit' not 'dot dash dot dot' etc.

Make a voice recording, repeating each letter of the alphabet several times, then random letters, then in groups. Listen to it as you drive, catch the train or whatever.
----------
di DAH A
di DAH A
di DAH A

DAH di' di' dit B
DAH di' di' dit B
DAH di' di' dit B

dah di' DAH dit C
dah di' DAH dit C
dah di' DAH dit C

etc

Big Pistons Forever
12th Aug 2014, 23:44
I would suggest that there are many,many,many more useful things to spend time studying, than Morse code......

gemma10
13th Aug 2014, 07:37
You are probably correct, all I`m saying is that if you do know it, then its one piece of paper less in the cockpit to distract.

ChickenHouse
13th Aug 2014, 07:53
I have a simple way and it requires no additional paper - I simply look at the chart as on the ICAO charts the morse code is always printed on ...

gemma10
13th Aug 2014, 08:08
You are missing the point. If the poster is scribbling down dahs and dits as he`s listening, he then has to look it up. Here endeth the second lesson.

jayteeto
13th Aug 2014, 08:35
Why would you scribble down? Look, listen, confirm. No pen required

ITS WRITTEN ON THE CHARTS/PLATES, the second lesson wasn't very good

jayteeto
13th Aug 2014, 08:50
Capacity and situational awareness are very important in aviation. People have a habit of reducing both by carrying out tasks that are nice but not essential. It is essential to identify a beacon before use IFR, if you are navigating VFR your plan should be good, the beacon is a backup. Learning Morse for idents is nice, but not necessary, why make every identity a mini-test??
Try...... Tune, Chart, Ident. It takes 2 seconds to look at the chart.
My military instructional career was almost exclusively spent trying to help student pilots to reduce cockpit workload and allow them to do the important thing:

Lookout and fly accurately

ChickenHouse
13th Aug 2014, 09:18
I am suspicious where the original question came from?

If you have proper and sufficient charts on board, you already have all information you need, regardless of VFR or IFR. The morse codes you need are either on your paper charts, or in some cases such as SkyDemon a bit hidden in the electrical underground (SD shows them in the Pilot Log). Just in case you use for example no paper charts, but AirNavigationPro and download only the free openstreet maps, you won't qualify for the requirement to use proper and sufficient charting equipment, or?

Down to the question again. If you plan your route with Skydemon and then send the planning package, as part of it SD generates a CSV file, that contains all data - including morse codes of the navaids.

SawMan
13th Aug 2014, 10:45
I'm a Ham radio hobbyist so it's easy for me. For new learners it can seem overwhelming until you learn the trick. Don't look, listen- morse is about sounds, not symbols. Code learning tapes are cheap and there are several freebies on the web from Ham radio websites. You'll soon find the one that works best for you.

And stop thinking of morse code as old or outdated- it is the original digital communications mode :ok:

Jan Olieslagers
13th Aug 2014, 10:56
If the poster is scribbling down dahs and dits as he`s listening, he then has to look it up.

That is not how it is supposed to work. The official way is to write the navaid's ID when preparing the plog, including the dah-di-dits if needed, then confirm them in flight.

Morse code is no more an exam subject when going for the R/T license and there's a reason for that.

(yes, I did pass a separate R/T exam. EASA PPL'ers don't need to but a microlight pilot does, at least down here.)

gemma10
14th Aug 2014, 13:16
We all know how its supposed to work. Myself and Sawman were offering help if he wanted to learn morse. The Poster said Help with morse reguired. Just didnt want him/her to be distracted.
Incidentally I used to read at 25wpm thirty years ago, and now about 10. Was wondering where all the A class hams have gone.

CISTRS
14th Aug 2014, 14:35
In the Air Training Corps in the late 50's, I was reading Morse Code at 30 wpm.
Who else remembers...
"did it hurt you? - Freddie"
di di dah di - F

Mike744
18th Aug 2014, 10:40
I was a Radio/Electronics officer at sea for over twenty years. Initially I found learning morse code quite easy. Keeping it is harder, good way was to mentally convert text to morse when reading. Don't do it out loud or you'll have people moving away from you :)
There was a lot more to it as we had to also learn the morse for comma, fullstop, open & close brackets, hyphen, plus sign, end of work, all numbers plus a million and one Q codes.
Just the alphabet takes a few days to learn.. Simples

Mike744
18th Aug 2014, 14:38
CISTRS, Also 'Best Bent Wire'

gemma10
18th Aug 2014, 14:55
Dont forget ERROR ........ ! :ok:

fatmanmedia
18th Aug 2014, 15:02
-- --- .-. ... . / .. ... / . .- ... -.-- / - --- / .-.. . .- .-. -.

..-. .- - ...

kaitakbowler
18th Aug 2014, 15:45
Hi, anyone learn it the RAF way, Pattern Recognition Technique,
I can remember the first 2 groups of 4 we learnt, they were PWFY, then QULB,
Do them as sounds and you will see how they fit together.

For the life of me I can't put the rest together (it was 1963 after all).

I think the last MAY have been AITE.

Figures were learnt 1234 etc.

PM

Saab Dastard
18th Aug 2014, 19:58
I feel I should be moving this to AH&N!

SD