PDA

View Full Version : Feel the fear...and do it anyway?

Amber1
27th Jul 2014, 18:16
Ok, so I had my first proper flying lesson today which was intended to help me firm up my decision to go for it and get my PPL. I enjoyed it but I feel a bit torn afterward between still having the desire to achieve my licence and proving to myself I can do it but frankly I was not a natural at it and it all felt a bit new and scary ( from the flying itself to even feeling a bit awkward at the flying school surrounded by new faces and feeling like I know nothing). I was quite scared of controlling the plane and just can't ever imagine getting into one and flying it solo. I think I might be being a bit hard on myself as it is only a first lesson but I'm reading so much on here from people who say "if you Have to question your decision it's not worth the investment as you have to LOVE it". Guess what I'm asking for is whether any of you have felt the same after your first lessons? Is it normal and I should just have a few more to see how I go before investing 1000s on something I might not love? :confused:

On Track
27th Jul 2014, 23:14
You are definitely being too hard on yourself.

I was shaking like a leaf on my first real lesson, even though I was fulfilling a childhood ambition.

Later, when doing circuit training, I almost gave it all away because I was having so much trouble with landings. I remember going out to the airport one day thinking that if I did not make progress during that lesson then I would stop throwing good money after bad. Fortunately my landings improved and a few weeks later I did my first solo - a most satisfying achievement.

I know many good pilots who say they struggled in the eariy stages of flying. We thought we would be naturally gifted pilots but found that there is some skill involved and it takes time to learn those skills. However you don't have to be superhuman to be a pilot (contrary to what some young pilots might like you to believe). It essentially comes down to practice, practice and more practice, and that's the case right up to the day when your flying career ends. Any airline pilot will tell you the same thing.

Have fun!

IFMU
28th Jul 2014, 03:35
Scared me to death when I started. Turned out mostly OK, though.
Bryan

hegemon88
28th Jul 2014, 05:47
Is it normal and I should just have a few more to see how I go before investing 1000s on something I might not love?

1) Do not pay anything upfront in aviation. Never.

2) Your description matches my first lessons 100%. One PPL licence and IR(R) rating later I know I would have regretted deeply, had I turned back.

3) I know I'm not "normal" i.e. I will always be different from Mavericks and Gooses (Geese? :E) of tomorrow, who will be around, but guess what? I do what I like and I don't care...

Definitely worth going if part of you wants to go. If it proves too hard, there is always time to turn back, but at least you will have tried and had new experience.

All the best,

/h88

trinnydriver
28th Jul 2014, 06:50
Your feelings sound similar to mine when I first started flying (and when I first stepped into a racing car) - the immediate task looks daunting if not impossible. I carried on because I knew it was what I wanted. When I started my instrument rating the thought of being in cloud or between layers of cloud left me cold and during the training I wondered how I'd manage to crack it. I wanted to fly in the mountains so went on to get a mountain rating and during that training I wondered if I could really safely land on the altisurfaces that we went to - but eventually it comes.

If you want it then carry on because you could end up regretting not following your wishes later in life.

Genghis the Engineer
28th Jul 2014, 07:52
My first flying lesson, which was as an RAF Cadet Pilot, was with a staggeringly experienced instructor - reputedly at the time the oldest serving pilot in the RAF. I can still hear his words from the debrief..

"You aren't a natural pilot, but then I've only ever known two natural pilots and both of them are dead."

Virtually nobody takes to flying immediately and naturally - it's not basically a natural act, strapping a machine on and using it to go flying. Some people are good enough to do a licence in minimum hours, most aren't. I took quite a few hours to even cope in the environment, and that first instructor made it quite clear that I was completely useless; I refused to believe him, and as (amongst other things) I'm now an instructor, I believe that I've proved him wrong.

What really matters is whether, and how much, you enjoy it. If you enjoy it a lot, and are likely to keep enjoying it a lot, persevere.

But as others have said, don't pay up front!

G

Heston
28th Jul 2014, 08:00
What they all said...

Don't pay up front. Do a few more (say 3 minimum) and then see how you feel. You will know by then. The first lesson is always tough - mostly its simply sensory overload.

If you want to continue, then try to fly fairly often, every week if finances will allow. But still don't pay up front.

Make sure you work at enjoying the whole experience of learning to fly. Immerse yourself in the theory. Hang around the school/club before and after your lessons. Watch, listen, ask questions. Everybody else there started just like you.

If you don't wish to continue at any point, then don't. Its not compulsory. Move onto your next "thing".

manuaros
28th Jul 2014, 08:00
I think we have all experienced that kind of fear, despite if you've loved aviation since you were a kid.
Starting the PPL means, starting to deal with a small aircraft and realising how much stuff you have to do do, keep in mind and deal with at the same time.

Once you keep learning and getting your hands on your fear will just become a normal cockpit workload and if you keep training that workload will become "easy" to manage and finally it will be just pure joy!.

My suggestion is just, keep training, do not rush, you do not have to fly solo in the 12th hour, you will fly solo whenever you are ready, and by that time, you will already be enjoying flying.

Keep flying!

mary meagher
28th Jul 2014, 08:05
Hello Amber! I thought possibly from your name here you might be another woman, and just confirmed that guess!

I am a retired gliding instructor, now still flying (with a safety pilot) at Shenington Gliding Club. Definitely, there are two kinds of students. Men, who are usually overconfident. And women, who are usually underconfident.
We women are also not ashamed to admit to fear.

As others have advised, don't pay money up front! Flying schools often vanish from the scene, going broke and taking your money down the pan along with all their dodgy equipment....

My advice to you is to find a club or school NEAR WHERE YOU LIVE. Check out how long they have been in business. Ask questions about who does their maintenance. Older reliable types of training aircraft are best. Find an instructor you like, stick with that one!

I began flying in 1983, in gliders at High Wycombe, went on to get my PPL at Wycombe Air Centre, never stopped. Though the first week or two definitely suffered collywobbles, but kept on....after serious thought that I wasn't getting any younger and it was now or never. It has been such FUN!
Which is the best possible motive to go flying. Once you are in a paying job flying aeroplanes, its not so much fun and the pay and prestige are not what they used to be at Pan Am!

Do let us know how you get on, and PM or email me if you prefer.

Mary Meagher

Camargue
28th Jul 2014, 10:45
I think you should have a few more, as it becomes less alien you will relax, the fear that seems to freeze the brain will go, the work load will reduce and you can divert some brain power to the pleasure centre :)

If you think about it, the 1st time you do anything, especially something that is important to you, there is a degree of nervousness.

I was taught by the RAF, my instructor said there was no such thing as a natural pilot, some people pick it up quicker than others.

Don't rule out changing instructors if you need. Human nature being what it is some instructors will be better at dealing with those that are nervous than others.

And as for turning up feeling that don't know anything, you'll probably find most of the pilots there know are darn sight less than they should!

Amber1
28th Jul 2014, 12:34
Wow what a great bunch of positive advice. Thanks to everyone for the responses as they have genuinely helped me.

It's nice to know everyone feels the same at first and you're right...everything feels weird and alien before you get you get used to it. I've just booked up my next lesson and will def not pay in advance as you all recommend. My flight school do PAYG mainly but they do recommend a 5 hour trial package to get you started that is paid in advance - so do you suggest I don't even opt for this but do PAYG from the start?

Mary, yes you guessed right I'm a girl and under confident as you predicted. I'll definitely keep you posted and may take you up on the kind offer on email down the line as I seem to have questions coming our of my ears at the moment - so thank you!
A

rarelyathome
28th Jul 2014, 12:41
Amber.

I assume you drive a car. Try to remember what it was like the first time you did that. Chances are the whole thing felt just as alien as your first flying lesson. If you have the passion it will get you through.

Go for it, enjoy it and the very best of luck.

Amber1
28th Jul 2014, 12:50
Hi rarelyathome,

Yep I do drive and you're absolutely right, it feels second nature now but definitely didn't at first - I remember being terrified of motorways and now I'm daily on the M25 and not bothered at all.

Thanks, A

Jan Olieslagers
28th Jul 2014, 13:21
Amber1,

The day when you leave home in the best of spirits though perhaps still with a little mist in your head, arrive at the airfield with all clear and whistling a merry tune, get the plane out of the hangar while sweetly remembering how nice your lover was last night, do the pre-flight dreaming of the dinner you'll be having tonight, taxi and take off while still whistling that merry tune - in short, on the day that you do not feel the slightest anxiety, that day you will have become a dangerous pilot.

Anxiety, unrest, even downright fear are great life-savers, for ourselves and for our fellow pilots. These senses are to be valued, even cherished. It just takes a bit of time to come to terms with them, and of course YOU should be on top all the while.

BTW there was no need to "confess" to your sex, I am sure the same kind of feelings and doubts are known to all of us. Only, not everybody can speak of them as lightly.

and PS I am proud to serve as a counterexample to Mary's statement: I am male, and not overconfident at all! You can ask my instructors for confirmation!

piperboy84
28th Jul 2014, 14:53
I was receiving some recurring training from a well known and extremely accomplished instructor in Scone a few years back and the subject of being a natural pilot came up, he explained to me that as far as he was aware the only natural pilots he knew of were birds and even they crashed from time to time.

I personally think a little fear, doubt and wariness every time you drive into the airfield and especially when you taxi into position for departure is a good thing it keeps you extremely focused on the task at hand to the exclusion of any peripheral nonsense unrelated to flying that may be in your head.

As the saying goes, there are a lot of old pilots, there are also a lot of bold pilots, but there are very few old AND bold pilots.

Good luck with you training.

mixture
28th Jul 2014, 15:18
Amber1,

Try a few (just a few ... not £1000s worth !) more lessons and remember.....

Nothing is scary until that moment where you land, your instructor taps you on the shoulder, gives you a wave and promptly hops out whilst the engine is still running .....

a.k.a. first solo

That silence will never feel so loud... and your brain will be trying to convince you not to do it !

But up until the first solo... its all just boring repetitive practice until it gets into the students thick skull...:E

Are you possibly doubting the instructor or school ? Maybe try another one ? Or a different type of aircraft ? What did you fly ? If you flew something twitchy like a Traumahawk (Piper Tomahawk, PA-38), then perhaps try a more stable flying platform like a Warrior (PA-28).

Heebicka
28th Jul 2014, 15:28
Don't give it up now, simple don't. Try to make another decision after 5-6 hours in logbook. Right now you are probably scared about everything and not comfortable moving in real 3D. I can remember my first lession, intro flight, scared about every single unexpected (and insignificant) movement of plane, trying to compensate everything. Scared to bank over 10 degrees as it looks "too much and we have to fall", holding yoke like my whole life depends on the pressure on yoke, completely ignoring instructor saying in correct configuration only two fingers are enough, leads to my hand was sweating so hard, pants looked like i pissed myself. When I left plane after hour and half I feel myself like construction worker after 12hour shift.

I needed couple of hours to get rid of this, was changed somewhere around 4-5 hour where we did spins and stalls, next step is circuit training, so basically landing training = lot of landings within 5-7 minutes intervals. Lot of 3point landings or float away from flare. This will be another point where you will consider to quit as someone wrote before. Just simple NO again :) From something which will be "I need to move yokes by milimeter but not two and I don't have a time for this" will be "there is a plenty of time for any compensation I did wrong.." If you don't give up here, instructor will let you flight a whole circuit with instrument closed. This will be first point where you will have real reason to be scared but there isn't any, mostprobably it will be your best circuit in takeoff, climb, circuit height and pattern and landing ever.

First reward is about to come, first solo. I think feeling from first solo are a bit overrated or my was different, same circuit as with instructor, nothing changed, keep your speed and circuit shape, everything will be same as with instructor. My feeling was "OK I am flying alone, game breaker now, but hell where is that "First sex" feeling, everything is exactly same as with instructor" :)

real reward will come after end of circuits training (15 alone or so) you will be somewhere around 15-20 hours and your lessons will be somelike "we will do one circuit together to see you're in shape, you will fly alone, but not circuits, you will just fly away and don't return before 45 minutes"
Free to go where you want to go, almost, the rest is just a piece of cake :)

In a short this "toolongdidn'tread", the progress is really really quick, what are hours in land life are minutes in sky life, what are minutes in ... are seconds...

I was surprised my school let me fly alone away from ATZ and CTR after I had something like 15hours in dual and 1.5 alone when I was still scared in after 4-5hours....

Johnm
28th Jul 2014, 15:52
I have 1200 hours and an instrument rating and I still get butterflies in my stomach before every flight.......

mary meagher
28th Jul 2014, 16:10
Probably not a problem, but if there is a problem, find out before you spend the whole bankroll on the training.

There are 2 kinds of Medical Requirements, have a look at the Civil Aviation Authority Website for details. Your own doctor can certify that you meet the requirement for a "National Pilot's License"....for example, if you qualify to drive a truck, you are fine to go.

And there is the proper Aviation Medical, for the Private Pilot's License, which enjoys more privileges; this one needs an Aviation Medical Examiner to check you out. No dizzy spells? reasonably sane? wear corrective lenses? (varifocals not recommended!).

Your instructor/flying school could recommend a friendly AME. But the CAA information on the internet is very helpful and detailed.

Heston
28th Jul 2014, 16:32
Not sure why the topic of being a born pilot came up, but for what its worth Chuck Yeager is quoted in the book The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe as saying, "There's no such thing as a natural born pilot."

Chuck Yeager - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Yeager) for his bio - I think he's probably qualified to make the definitive statement on that question.

thing
28th Jul 2014, 20:24
Stick at it Amber, there aren't enough woman pilots (God knows why, I thought multitasking was a feminine speciality) so we need more!

I don't get nervous anymore but I still see it as a challenge and I still get a buzz out of it. What would be the point of doing it otherwise? Take it in very small steps. Straight and level, nail that and then turns, nail that and so on. It's not a competition, it doesn't matter if you are slow at some bits and good at others. My own bete noir was ATC. When I was a stude I found the flying bits fairly easy but I couldn't make head nor tail of what ATC were saying to me. Then one day it just clicked and I found I could do it.

As has been said earlier on, when you first drove a car you probably found it difficult, flying is just the same; except once you can fly you will find it immensely more interesting than driving. Flying is without a doubt the most rewarding thing I've ever done. It's not just about having the money to do it, it's about having the fire to want to fly. You will see and do things that very few other people see or do, it's an immense privilege to be a pilot. Good luck and stick at it!

Armchairflyer
28th Jul 2014, 21:52
Not sure whether any kind of quota fulfilment is a valid reason to continue ;) ("I enjoyed it" arguably more so), but otherwise I can merely endorse the previous encouraging posts. Go up at least several more times before questioning your decision to try it, be prepared for ups and downs during your lessons and afterwards, and most of all for an expensive yet legal drug (i.e., flying). No one expects you to be "fit to fly" after one lesson or a couple of lessons, so neither should you. FWIW, I remember neither my first flying lesson nor my first solo flight as particularly exhilarating, but somehow it added up so that now I suffer from considerable withdrawal symptoms if I haven't put my mitts on an airplane for more than a few weeks. As several people have put it: your wallet will never be the same. Blue skies and enjoy :)

wood73
29th Jul 2014, 05:56
On my trial lesson I thought I would never be able to do it, but as lessons progressed, taking little steps, it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.
In some lessons I was doing things that had me wondering why do this, slow flying etc., but when I started circuits it all seemed to make sense.
every uncontrolled movement and bump had me wondering what was happening, but you soon get used to it.
I'm now just over 11 hours into my training and completed my first solo last week, and from the moment I climb out of the aircraft after every lesson I cant wait to get back in.
Sometimes it is hard work, sometimes it easy.
I enjoy every second of it, but more so now than at the beginning.
I suppose its not for everyone, but what made you take the trial flight will make you carry on!

Amber1
29th Jul 2014, 16:54
Are you possibly doubting the instructor or school ? Maybe try another one ? Or a different type of aircraft ? What did you fly ?

I dont think i am. The instructor was quite confident which i guess is a good thing but perhaps i need a slightly gentler approach. e.g. i was given control as we we're heading in to land but i had no idea about rate of decent or what bits i was meant to be doing so we basically bounced on the runway and went back up again and swerved about a fair bit etc. It was safe and he obviously had control the whole time and we landed ok (albeit it surely looked ridiculous) but guess this freaked me out a bit as I didnt expect it on my first lesson. hey ho, guess being thrown in the deep end can work well.

I was in a cessna 152 which i quite liked so guess that's not the problem. Think as you all say it just boils down to trying it for a bit and continued practice.

Anyway, I'm all booked for my next lesson following all the great encouragement on here :)
A

Camargue
29th Jul 2014, 17:19
sounds a bit lax on the instructors part to say the least. I would think the instructor should fully brief you on every aspect of the flight he expects you to perform when you are on the ground so that you know what you exactly what you should be aiming for, ie he should have told you on the ground if he wanted you to bring her to land and have guided you on speed, power settings, rate of descent so you could have had a decent stab at it.

It may have been safe but you didn't enjoy it.... being thrown in at the deep end, that's the stuff of test pilots.

worldpilot
29th Jul 2014, 18:02
Think as you all say it just boils down to trying it for a bit and continued practice.As projected in the aforementioned narratives, most aspirant pilots experience some kind of uncertainties at the onset of aviation training.:{

However though, it all comes down to your mental readiness to address the challenges. I've seen aspirants defer pilot training due to terrifying circumstances. But with practical understanding of the controls and operations, you would be advancing your experience and confidence.

Landing an aircraft is the most difficult part of learning to fly. Learn to establish the appropriate approach to eliminate the variables, and you would be enjoying every bit of your flying.

Good luck.

WP

Crash one
29th Jul 2014, 19:11
Quote: e.g. i was given control as we we're heading in to land but i had no idea about rate of decent or what bits i was meant to be doing so we basically bounced on the runway and went back up again and swerved about a fair bit etc. It was safe and he obviously had control the whole time and we landed ok (albeit it surely looked ridiculous) but guess this freaked me out a bit as I didnt expect it on my first lesson. hey ho, guess being thrown in the deep end can work well.

Some instructors are very good at allowing passengers/trial flight people to fly the thing from the word go. Sometimes it gives confidence, "this can't be that difficult if he's letting me do it so soon"' other times it might make you feel "Jesus, how am I going to manage all this?".
He will know what he's doing & you will progress. In fact as long as you don't freak out too much it may be better than the "I have control!" Type of instructor who just wants to show a girl what a brilliant pilot he is. I've met one or two like that. As for the fear, it will become situational awareness, that expression will come up a lot and will replace abject terror.
Good luck, join the merry band of the impoverished flyers.

For the benefit of Mary, I've met only two over confident male pilots, one was a gliding instructor who scared the living daylights out of a newbie female who had to be very carefully coaxed back into the cockpit by an instructor with a brain! And yes I have been scared a few times myself. No fly for 5 months, deserted airfield, engine prone to backfire & set fire to grass underneath, after much thought & a couple of fags, take off and do three or four white knuckled dry mouth circuits with suboptimal landings for two of them. Go home, now legally current but certainly not confident, let alone over.

mary meagher
29th Jul 2014, 19:44
Way back when I was a complete beginner, I had a lot of problems learning to land. Thought it might help to have a session in a Cessna 152 at a small strip near Chesapeake Bay on a day with a nasty crosswind. Every time we got near the ground, the instructor took over....couldn't blame him, it was his airplane after all.

Sometimes it helps to go back to basics.

NorthernChappie
29th Jul 2014, 19:50
First time I met my instructor, he was hanging around the office and I thought he was a bit young to be having a flying lesson.

Anyway, when we got to first solo, he judged it just right and after landing from a dual circuit session, he said it was best to go straight back up having previously advised we were landing for a coffee break. He then said if I didn't mind, could he sit this one out. By the time I realised what he was up to, he was half way to the control tower, and yes, the engine was still running. They know what they are doing!

Oddly, after about the first three lessons, and although I flew commercially many times each month and loved it, sitting at the small pointy end was a bit confusing as things seemed to happen quite slowly. I almost thought it boring! I got over that fortunately!

So some time later, my first solo cross country plus first land away is scheduled for later this week, and all being well that CAA application will be on its way very shortly.

Give it a few more lessons, get some serious studying done so that you begin to really understand what is happening, get the medical sorted, and get on to those exams.

It is addictive.:ok:

Crash one
29th Jul 2014, 20:16
Mary.So what did you learn during that session?
I once turned up for a lesson in wind that I knew was unsatisfactory to say the least, expected a coffee and a chat would be the order of the day. However, instructor said, what do you think? Well, I wouldn't go solo but what do you think? He. If you like we'll go but it won't be comfortable. Fine, it will be different if nothing else. So we went, crosswind was out of club limits, I did several crosswind touch&gos till he said, " I'm going to stop the clock on you and do a couple myself if you don't mind, I need to keep current with crosswinds". I really enjoyed that day.

Jan Olieslagers
29th Jul 2014, 20:21
Stick at it Amber, there aren't enough woman pilots

No need to be sexist. It's as simple as

Stick at it Amber, there aren't enough pilots

Crash one
29th Jul 2014, 21:49
Stick at it Amber, there aren't enough woman pilots

Naa Correction: there aren't enough women!!

PPLvirgin
30th Jul 2014, 15:20
Hi Amber,

This is a great place to get continued support and great advice mostly.

I didn't feel like I got on with my instructor 100% because I thought he used toi Flap at the most simplest of things but he was the man with all the hours so took it all onboard.
On my first trial lesson, i enjoyed it but absolutely Bricked it coming into land, small plain, ground coming up very fast... lol.

I was fortunate enough to pass in 48hrs. But i put this down to sheer hard work. I did my medical first, then all my ground exams so all i needed to do was concentrate and enjoy the practicalities of Flying.
Before each lesson and after I would spend time going through the correct procedures of my lesson to next come up, practice them on flight Sim(not all of course) and read a lot. I found all of this Prep helped me greatly.

I echo what the above had said, all wise words, 1 lesson is not enough keep going and work hard, you will be fine!
Try other instructors out, i thought my first one would be upset but he encouraged it also for you to get a pure view of where you are at.
I also didn't think I could to a PPL and especially the ground exams, but did it in about 12 months.
My biggest advice would be to do at least one lesson a week minimum, this is the biggest help!

Regards

Tris

thing
30th Jul 2014, 18:39

Not being sexist at all. If you assume there is a roughly 50/50 split between male and female in the world then go down to your average flying club and tell me what the ratio of male to female pilots is then you will find that I am correct and merely stating a fact. Apologies if it doesn't fit into some agenda or other.

Armchairflyer
30th Jul 2014, 19:33
Sorry, beg to differ (and for being OT): it is arguably true that the percentage of pilots among women is considerably smaller than among men, but "not enough" is IMO a normative, not a factual statement.
(No agenda here except linguistic nitpicking ;))

thing
30th Jul 2014, 19:44
but "not enough" is IMO a normative, not a factual statement.
(No agenda here except linguistic nitpickinHow to placate a grammarian, 'There, their, they're.' :)

On Track
30th Jul 2014, 21:34
Thing, I found your contribution most amusing. Thanks for that.

thing
30th Jul 2014, 22:12
I am at your service sir.

Amber1
3rd Aug 2014, 21:09
Well after all the encouraging responses on here I went into my second lesson today with enthusiasm and didn't worry when it took me a while to grasp some of the concepts, as I now know is normal.

I'm pleased to say I enjoyed it much more, was more confident controlling the aircraft and although I have a very long way to go I feel like I'm going to give it my best shot.

Actually looking forward to getting back out there next week now! Thanks again everyone :)

Grob Queen
10th Aug 2014, 10:42
Amber,
I'm another female student. I have been training for four years and have 152 hours of which 5 are solo. I finally passed all my ground exams in March. I have had many ups and downs, many thoughts of giving up, but have stuck with it? Why, its a childhood ambition and deep down, despite everything, I love flying and have the resolve to carry on.

It is this resolve that is driving me on to conquer my solo flying nerves, so much so that I flew my first solo nav last week and plan to fly part of my QXC route dual, with flying the third leg solo....at the end of this week....

It took me 27 hours to go solo and is frankly taking me ages to grasp many techniques that others may have found simpler. So, my advice is, if you really want to do it, stick with it. it doesn't matter how long you take, its not a race. As long as you WANT to do it, ENJOY it and the exchequer allows...then go for it! :)

Pirke
10th Aug 2014, 11:33
First flight in a tiny aircraft: scary and fun

First solo: scary and fun

First solo away from airport: scary and fun

First solo away landing: scary and fun

Everything else: fun

Everything new is scary, just don't forget to keep enjoying, even if the workload seems too high at moments.

And I also had my fair amount of squeezing the yoke. It's a measure of stress levels :) being relaxed not only helps you enjoy it more, it also makes you learn faster.

But it all really comes down to: practice practice practice

KandiFloss
10th Aug 2014, 12:29
Hi Amber,

Don't put too much pressure on yourself! I went to Florida to get my PPL back in 2006. I remember being taken to the flying school for my first flight and thinking, 'I am not enjoying this at all', and the idea of going solo was scary! I was a bit surprised about my thoughts, as when i'd flown previously I felt quite confident and didn't have those worries. I started off flying the C-152 but I didn't like that a/c, I thought that it was too twitchy and I just couldn't get my landings right. I was getting upset with myself as I still hadn't gone solo by 16 hours. I was almost about to give up and go home and buy myself a horse! I told my instructor (1/7 that I had ... not great :mad: ) that I wanted to try flying a cadet (smaller Warrior) and within 4 hours i'd gone solo! I found that a/c a more stable a/c to fly and I felt more confident flying it. I said that i'd never fly a C-152 again ... I hated them! However, now I choose to fly the C-152, and am happy to do so.

With regards to feeling anxious, believe me, I know how you feel. My flying has been sporadic, due to various reasons, including having a baby and studying for my ATPLs. I've just had almost a 2 year break from flying, and i've recently got back into it. I have around 125 hours total time, and I still feel anxious at times. I flew solo for the first time in almost 2 years recently, and yes I was anxious!

I think that it can be hard to talk to people about your flying concerns. Try to get to know the people at your club and find out who the helpful and genuine people are (I'm sure that being a young female, people will bend over backwards to help/talk to you!). If people are genuine then they will support you. I appreciate talking to people who are open to their thoughts and even mistakes, as even though some people will never do this I think that doing this helps eveyone learn. There are people who won't admit to feeling anxious/concerned ... maybe they simply don't have worries, or maybe it's all about bravado and they just won't admit to feeling anxious, as they think that people will think less of them.

Good luck, and PM me if you want a chat :)

KNIEVEL77
10th Aug 2014, 17:52
Amber1,

I came across this a while ago that made very interesting reading.

http://www.hampshireplans.co.uk/AOPA/article.pdf

Hope all is going well.

KNIEVEL77
13th Aug 2014, 15:40
Quote "Scared to bank over 10 degrees"

I'm still struggling with this.............my hand wants to do it but my brain won't let it!

Pirke
13th Aug 2014, 16:34
When I do steep turns my mind wants to bank to 90 degrees... It's the training that prevents the hands from doing it :)

Have you ever driven a motorcycle?

QDMQDMQDM
15th Aug 2014, 09:22
Everybody is scared to a greater or lesser degree at different times, but if you're bitten by the bug you keep getting pulled back to it and there's not much you can do about it.

The more you do it the less scared you will become generally, but if you keep going there will still be times when you're utterly terrified and vow to give it up, though you never do.

Welcome to the club. By the way, did anyone tell you it will bankrupt you too? And put a huge strain on your relationships? It's a great hobby.

FANS
15th Aug 2014, 12:03
Be worried when you're not apprehensive......

KNIEVEL77
15th Aug 2014, 19:24
I often leave a lesson vowing to pack it in and spend my hard earned money on
something else when I haven't been able to relax but then two days later I'm all for continuing!!!!

Odd!

It certainly is a bug!

MadamBreakneck
16th Aug 2014, 17:42
I haven't been on here much for a while, but seeing Amber's thread I thought I'd just post this link How to Learn to Fly? | Leia Airborne (http://leiafee.wordpress.com/how-to-learn-to-fly/).

I find it helpful to give her PDF version to new student pilots.

Amber, if you wanna do it you can, unless you persuade yourself otherwise. We all were beginners once.

Enjoy!

MB

PS. you might like to talk to these people too British Women Pilots' Association (http://bwpa.co.uk/)

KNIEVEL77
21st Aug 2014, 17:12
Hi Amber,

How are you getting along?

K77.

TShan1
27th Aug 2014, 09:51
All,

Just wanted to say thanks for the positive messages that were sent to Amber, as I had a similar question/fear myself after my first lesson. It's heartening to know that people feel/felt the same as me!

Tom

Amber1
30th Aug 2014, 22:28
hi amber, how are you getting along?

Not been on here for a while so thanks for all the newer positive messages.

Hi K77
I'm getting on fairly well cheers. Still rather scared at certain points, mainly when I'm taking off and landing. I'm even taking a friend up on my lesson tomorrow -poor girl!

I went to Bournemouth airshow today and watching the aerobatics gave me a renewed push as I just love it!

Is it only me that struggles on the supposedly simple technique of trimming? No matter what, when I'm up there I always seem to trim the wrong way and my brain just won't compute it naturally so I'm always slow at trying to figure my trim up/down situ. I feel daft as surely meant to get this at the start but not going in for me.

A

9 lives
31st Aug 2014, 00:56
just won't compute it naturally so I'm always slow at trying to figure my trim up/down situ

Trim is either good, or less good, and as the pilot, it's really yours to decide. If you are in stable flight, and there is a control force you'd like to trim out, move the trim, until the force is trimmed out. It's only wrong, if you cannot maintain control of the aircraft.

A small factor in trimming historically was that some military types could build up immense control forces in a dive, and trimming yourself out was the only way - hence the vital need for elevator trim. GA aircraft have suitably light control forces by regulation. Just use the trim to neutralize the control forces to your liking. If you don't get it perfect the first time, you'll be just like the rest of us!

Fear not the aircraft - certified aircraft are all built to very similar standards, and they are benign. Conditions could be cause for fear (I'm certainly fearful of some conditions - so I don't fly in them). As you learn, you will be amazed at what the plane is actually capable of - look forward to learning new aspects of what the 152, or the Piper can do!

Big Pistons Forever
31st Aug 2014, 01:52
Re trimming in a Cessna

Hold the wheel in your left hand and ask yourself do I have to push or pull to maintain the pitch attitude. If you have to push on the control wheel then push on the top of the trim wheel. By that I mean the little knobs on the trim wheel are going into the into the instrument panel. If you have to pull on the control wheel, then pull on the trim wheel, that is the little knobs on wheel turns are coming out of the instrument panel.

Your problem is not that unusual. I find the best way to fix it is to devote a part of a lesson to just getting the sense of the trim wheel sorted. The best way to do that is, in straight and level flight have the instructor move the trim wheel so the aircraft is out of trim with you not looking. Then practice re-trimming to a stick neutral trim (ie you do not have to push or pull on the control wheel to maintain your attitude)

10 or so tries and you will have it sorted.

CISTRS
31st Aug 2014, 03:32
Looking straight down (sideways) from a turning aircraft I find scary. A sense of vertigo, I think. This does not occur with forward view or lateral views in level flight.

Piltdown Man
31st Aug 2014, 08:02
Don't think about trimming, just do it. Hold your attitude and move the trimmer. You have a 50/50 chance of getting the direction right. If the load increases, move it the opposite way. But if the load decreases you won the 50/50 bet. Now move the trimmer until the load is zero. Job done. The secret? Nail the attitude by looking outside, never inside.

PM

Big Pistons Forever
31st Aug 2014, 16:07
The secret? Nail the attitude by looking outside, never inside.

PM

A very important point. Pitch is controlled by the elevator and is set by observing the position of the natural horizon out the windshield. You should not be flying the aircraft with the trim wheel.

9 lives
1st Sep 2014, 16:52
Well managed fear is an important part of safe flying, and respect among your peers. In my opinion, fearless pilots should also be planeless It is an awareness of fear, and managing those circumstances well which is your best long term accident prevention strategy.

One fearless pilot who comes to my mind, has done a lot of stupid things, been violated countless times, bent a few aircraft, and caused a few of his friends to take a few steps back. I hope to never be like him.

I'm happiest with a pilot who has that twinge of fear from time to time, it'll keep them thinking about what they are doing!

Rowls
1st Sep 2014, 20:55
I too struggled with the trim wheel in a 152 and regularly trimmed the wrong way. My instructor sat me in a PA28 where the trim wheel is in a different position between the seats. We didn't fly it but something clicked and I was able to go back to the Cessna and got the direction right from then on. Not quite sure why it worked but it did. Worth a try!

KNIEVEL77
10th Sep 2014, 11:05
CISTRS,
I am suffering from the same problem and im struggling to overcome it.