PDA

View Full Version : PPL(A) CAA application waiting time

dagowly
25th Jul 2014, 18:59
Hi all,

More of a curiosity than anything else - I'm about to send off my application for PPL(A) on Monday to the CAA, how long have you had to wait to receive your license? The website says 10 days until they process it but I'd like to see if I can get a rough idea as I'd like to start taking advantage of the summer break and start my famil to the C172.

Regards

Genghis the Engineer
25th Jul 2014, 22:14
I got my CPL re-issued as the new EASA "shrunk in the wash" licence, and it took 1 day over what they were claiming on the CAA website. So, I think they're being honest.

G

C-dog
25th Jul 2014, 22:34
They've had my LAPL application for 15 working days now. Must chase them up next week.

Helicopterdriverguy
26th Jul 2014, 02:05
Mine took 4 Weeks back in September! :ugh:

Skeeve
26th Jul 2014, 09:21
10 working days for issue of the initial licence seems spot on, then another 1-2 days for the mail to arrive.

http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/543578-current-caa-processing-time-initial-licence-issue.html#post8573444

newaviator
26th Jul 2014, 09:37
21 days for me in late May/June , but we had a damned bank holiday in the equation :(

Mach Jump
26th Jul 2014, 10:52
...but I'd like to see if I can get a rough idea as I'd like to start taking advantage of the summer break and start my famil to the C172.

No need to wait for your Licence coming to do this. You can fly dual, and even solo under supervision, as a student.

MJ:ok:

kevkdg
26th Jul 2014, 12:34
Addition of Class Rating (so not a PPL application)

Submitted Application On-Line on Thursday 3rd July
Licence with additional class rating arrived by Fed Ex on Thursday 17th July.

Two weeks exactly....

Mach Jump
26th Jul 2014, 13:12
Can you log hours if you're not a student but haven't received your paper licence yet?

Yes. you can continue to log hours as a student under the same restrictions as before. ie. Any flights must be authorised and supervised by a Flight Instructor. No passengers may be carried.

MJ:ok:

Sir George Cayley
28th Jul 2014, 21:20
If you can get to Gatwick there is a turn up and wait counter service. I hear that the whole ground floor has been remodelled and boasts a Costa Coffee whilst you wait.

Just a thought.

SGC

dagowly
29th Jul 2014, 18:38
I live in the north end of Scotland... Unfortunately it's not an option.

Skeeve
30th Jul 2014, 18:01
Public counter service expressly states that the the same-day service is NOT for initial licence issued, only certain types of add-ons are supported (see the CAA website for details).

Public Counter Service Details | Personal Licences and Training (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=137&pagetype=90&pageid=10154)

dagowly
31st Jul 2014, 10:47
Well my application arrived on Tuesday morning. So i'll start the counter now and see how long it takes!
Thanks for all your input.

keenpilot
25th Aug 2014, 04:06
Submitted on-line did you say? How do you do that, scan and attach to email?

I was going to snail mail my sep(sea) application but this sounds better

Skeeve
25th Aug 2014, 05:28
keenpilot: No, the application is done via their website, see here: Initial Application for a Single Engine Aeroplane Type / Class Rating | Private Pilots | Personal Licences and Training (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=2685&pagetype=65&appid=54&mode=detail&appproc=28) under "Online application form".
You can attach additional files at the end of the online application.

dagowly
25th Aug 2014, 20:30
A bit of a late reply for me, but mine took 9 working days and now got 20 hours under my belt with it :)