PDA

View Full Version : FI(A) - pre-entry hours - TMG ok?

Okavango
23rd Jul 2014, 09:55
For the FI(A) course which requires 5hrs prior to the course pre-entry test, do these all have to be SEP or will TMG also suffice?

Level Attitude
23rd Jul 2014, 22:27
FI(A) course which requires 5hrs prior to the course pre-entry testNot heard this one before, but I would assume it means you must have five hours of experience in the same Class of aircraft in which you will do the FI course (How could you learn to teach in an aircraft with which you, yourself, were unfamiliar?)

Whopity
24th Jul 2014, 06:49
FCL.915.FI FI — Prerequisites
An applicant for an FI certificate shall:(3) have completed at least 30 hours on single-engine piston powered aeroplanes of which at least 5 hours shall have been completed during the 6 months preceding the pre-entry flight test set out in FCL.930.FI(a); Says it all!

Okavango
24th Jul 2014, 17:53
Thanks. Reason for asking is that there is obviously cross crediting between the 2 classes and if you have the FI(A) and a TMG rating you're on for TMG instruction. That said, Whopity's excerpt is pretty conclusive.

Whopity
25th Jul 2014, 12:48
But, is a TMG not a single engined piston powered aeroplane? There is no mention of either SEP or TMG "Class" in the requirement!

maximus610
25th Jul 2014, 14:27
Do these 5 hours should be flown in the same a/c model you'll use for FI course or just whatever SEP?

Tay Cough
25th Jul 2014, 16:57
Ring the CAA and ask (possibly via whoever is doing your instructor rating). They can be quite pragmatic when they need to be.

nick14
25th Jul 2014, 21:15
SEP Class, doesn't matter what however I would recommend you are current on the course aircraft variant as it will make it much easier.

maximus610
25th Jul 2014, 22:51
According to EASA definition TMG is a powered sailplane and not a powered aeroplane (different aircraft category).
‘Touring Motor Glider’ (TMG) means a specific class of powered sailplane having an integrally mounted, non-retractable engine and a non-retractable propeller. It shall be capable of taking off and climbing under its own power according to its flight manual.

Genghis the Engineer
25th Jul 2014, 23:46
SEP Class, doesn't matter what however I would recommend you are current on the course aircraft variant as it will make it much easier.

And ideally can fly it to CPL standards from the right hand seat.

I can't imagine that the FI(A) course is easier than my CRI course, and I had much more recency than 5 hours in 6 months, including a few hours right hand seat handling time, and still struggled to fly accurately enough from the right hand side.

G

Duchess_Driver
26th Jul 2014, 06:54
Don't be too hard on yourself GTE, you wern't THAT bad!:ok::ok:

As has been said, there are two sides here. As has been pointed out the regulations do not state SEP class, just single engine piston and as EASA is supposed to be permissive regulation.....

However, you really would do well to be in recent practice with the class of aeroplane and, if possible, the type. I does make things easier as the structure of (at least our) FI course leaves no room for 'famil' trips. On a couple of occasions I have recommended a student to 'self fly' from the right seat to gain confidence and practice some basic handling from a different perspective.

Remember, you are not being taught to fly here. You're being taught to teach which for many is a very strange thing to get to grips with.

Whopity
27th Jul 2014, 18:37
And ideally can fly it to CPL standards from the right hand seat. That is probably more relevant for a CRI course than a FI Course. After 30 hours of dual right hand seat flying the FI candidate can get used to operating from that seat, wheras the CRI candidate is meant to already be an "expert" on the aircraft and is only receiving 3 hours worth of airborne instruction on how to teach existing skills.

Genghis the Engineer
27th Jul 2014, 21:55
That's an interesting perspective Whopity.

Incidentally has anybody *ever* actually completed the CRI course in 3 hours? Or actually bothered trying. My logbook shows 4:25 course, 2:10 free ridealong to learn from my instructor's instructional style, and 1:50 skill test. And that seemed to be motoring somewhat.

G

Whopity
27th Jul 2014, 22:12
I've seen a number completed in 3 hours and some approaching 30!

nick14
28th Jul 2014, 03:33
I did mine in 3:10 although that was after 2500hrs and a great deal of teaching experience on the jets.

squawking 7700
28th Jul 2014, 07:58
Five hours for me over three days and 1:15 for the test (with someone who's name's been mentioned on here as a thorough FIE).
And only 325hrs at course entry (plus about 100hrs gliding).

Genghis the Engineer
28th Jul 2014, 11:03
Interesting.

Begs the question of how many hours would be needed for the FI course, if it was *only* about passing the skill test.

Not that I mind the hours my CRI took - I enjoyed them all, and learned loads.

G