PDA

View Full Version : Logging Microlight Hours

kevkdg
22nd Jul 2014, 13:42
Hi,

Looking to fly microlight within the privileges of my SEP rating after differences training.

I have an EASA PPL with TMG and SEP rating, whereby hours flown on each class count towards revalidation by experience of the other class etc.

How do those who fly M/Lights under a SEP rating log their hours... Do you keep it all in the same log book?

Cheers

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Jul 2014, 14:20
BMAA or Pooleys will sell you a dedicated microlight logbook, but most of us just relabel some existing columns. I have three columns for microlight flying in mine - dual, PiC 3 - axis, and PiC weightshift.

G

RTN11
22nd Jul 2014, 14:37
I used a whole separate logbook for microlight hours, just because it made it easier when applying for my ATPL as the microlight hours don't count towards that at all and it saved the confusion.

If you're only ever going to fly light aircraft, and as long as you can easily separate the SEP hours when you need to prove some time to an examiner, there's no reason not to stick it all in one logbook.

kevkdg
22nd Jul 2014, 16:00
Thanks for the replies.

I currently log TMG and SEP hours in the same log book. But this is fine as hours on either go towards revalidating the other. I'm not moving to CPL/ATPL etc.

But it would seem sensible to log Microfright hours separately.

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Jul 2014, 21:06
It's all part of your total flying experience, but different licences have different currency and qualification requirements - and the goalposts keep moving.

So I'd recommend that anybody keeps each aircraft class separate in their records - it's dead easy then to add the columns that matter for a particular case (for example for my FAA licence I add SEP and 3-axis-microlights, whilst for EASA only SEP), but use separate columns. Most logbooks have enough columns for most purposes - but a commercial logbook has more columns and makes it much easier.

G