PDA

View Full Version : Logging TMG hours for both PPL(A) and LAPL(S)

mgclements
20th Jun 2014, 19:55
Hi All,

Heres the scenario - I'm revalidating an expired PPL(A) AND learning to fly gliders.

I have 2 different log books, one BGA logbook for gliders and my old AFE logbook where I have my SEP hours logged.

I plan to get a TMG rating on my PPL(A) afterwhich flying a TMG will help keep my SEP current.

I will also work towards a LAPL(S) for gliders and know that you can count upto 7 hours in TMG's towards the hours requirement for the licence.

so........if TMG hours can benefit both licences (as TMG overlaps classes), is it allowable for me to log the TMG PU/T hours in both logbooks?

Thanks in advance for you thaughts!

Mach Jump
20th Jun 2014, 23:19
is it allowable for me to log the TMG PU/T hours in both logbooks?

Can't see why not, as long as you dont try to claim the hours twice. ;)

MJ:ok:

Prop swinger
21st Jun 2014, 06:19
For those 7 hours to count towards the min. 15 required for an EASA (S) licence they have to be flown with/authorised by an (S) instructor (with a TMG rating/privileges) & be part of an approved course of training. So, if the guy that is instructing you for the TMG rating on your PPL(A) is also an (S) instructor AND the ATO at which you are being trained has (S) training included in its approval AND the exercises are relevant to both syllabi then, yes, the hours can be used for both the TMG rating & (S) licence. (You can put whatever you like in your logbook(s).)

However:[from PART FCL & AMC] Applicants with prior experience as PIC may be credited towards the requirements . . . The amount of credit shall be decided by the ATO where the pilot undergoes the training course, on the basis of a pre-entry flight test . . . The pre-entry flight test referred to in FCL.110.S(c) should cover the total content of the syllabus of flight instruction for the issuance of the LAPL(S), in accordance with AMC1 FCL.110.S and FCL.210.S. so previous PIC time in SEP or TMG counts towards the 15 hours, but only if you do a pre-entry flight test.

All the above is moot since the BGA is not yet an ATO so you are currently training towards the BGA Bronze badge endorsement which requires fewer hours than an EASA licence:50 solo flights in a glider or 20 solo flights and 10 hours flight time (a mix of dual and solo flying) in a glider. Subject to specific agreement on an individual basis by the BGA, the 10 hours may be reduced by 50% for applicants with prior relevant experience.To turn that into an EASA licence you will also need the cross-country endorsement which requires at least 3 hours solo soaring. Once you have learned to soar & done that many solo flights, minimum hours won't be a problem.