PDA

View Full Version : Cockpit Adapter for Gopro Hero3 Black Edition

Bogey71
11th Jun 2014, 09:43
Hi,
I would like to record the radio communication from the Headset to my Gopro Hero3 Black edition.

I found this one: GoPro HERO 3 Aircraft Audio Adapter - Fixed Wing - MyPilotStore.com (http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/9311)

Anybody got experience with that as regards sound quality?
Does it affect the reception/audio in the headset in any way?

Regards
Chris

worldpilot
11th Jun 2014, 16:45
I'm using this adapter with Gopro Hero 3 and it is functioning perfectly.
Go for it if you need it.

WP

airpolice
11th Jun 2014, 20:38
I have used the standard one for years now and it suffers from the intercom audio feed swamping the digi video camera.

I'm hoping that with the increased picture quality, better mounting options and endurance, the switch to our new GoPro Hero 3+ will resolve this audio problem as well.

I've ordered the short cable for the GoPro and a Skeleton case to allow use of it.

The Hero 3+ is a stunning piece of kit. The best new feature is the ability to see, in real time, on my iPhone, what the camera is recording. This allows me to move the camera around during the flight and KNOW what the image will be like.

Next step after getting the audio capture sorted, will be to use a second GoPro and then merge two movies to create a composite movie, showing views from looking forward as well as back at the pax.

BackPacker
11th Jun 2014, 21:12
It works great. We've got four of those cables and four Hero 3+ cameras and we use them to shoot professional quality film.

One thing to watch out for. The whole weight of the cable will be hanging from the USB port. Which is OK if you don't accidentally bump into the cable, or yank it. But a USB port is not designed to handle sideways loads and I have already had to throw one cable away because the connector was damaged through this.

At the USB end of the cable, use a tie-wrap to create a loop in the cable. Then use a piece of velcro to tie this loop to the camera base, the suction cup mount or something else sturdy. This will take the load off the USB connector.

The other thing to consider is the squelch on the intercom. If nobody is speaking, and ATC is silent, then you are recording silence as well. Not the aircraft noise that feels "normal". You may want to mix in some aircraft noise or music, otherwise you'll get an unnatural audio track.

worldpilot
11th Jun 2014, 22:00
Here is a flight intercom exchange using this adapter and Gopro 3.

3mE0AzaWlg0

WP

Bogey71
12th Jun 2014, 06:19
Good tips and info! Thanks also for the video.
I just ordered it. Thank you guys! :ok: