PDA

View Full Version : Easyjet develops flying robots

angelorange
7th May 2014, 17:52
easyJet's Mr Davies said. "We are using the human almost like a robot."

BBC News - Easyjet develops flying robots to inspect aircraft (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27308232)

munster
7th May 2014, 18:00
If Ian Davies is involved it can only mean one thing. Job losses!

Tech_Log
7th May 2014, 18:10
I'll wait for the first time someone accidentally flies one into the fuselage trying to get a close up !

B737900er
11th May 2014, 21:40
Only eroding TC's even further. You could pay an engineer/mechanic to go up on the rig who has years of experience behind him or you could send an apprentice with a drone?

GQ2
11th May 2014, 22:31
It's just Bean-Counters doing what Bean-Counters do......:rolleyes:

ROSCO328
11th May 2014, 22:36
The new tough pads are fantastic!. Cradle is a bit of a pain in the backside but I'm sure we have a geek somewhere working on it. As for flying drones, well I really don't see the problem?. We are an airline who wants to stay ahead utilising technology and I personally applaud this.

Elephant and Castle
12th May 2014, 06:19
I think this must be a publicity stunt, much like the Amazon one. The technology development costs, staff training, maintenance of the drones and regulatory issues of flying them in an airport environment are very likely no match for the simplicity of sending a guy up on a cherry picker when needed (ie not that often). Specially given that easyjet's maintenance is subcontracted anyway.

As for the tough pads.... A computer pretending to be a piece of paper. Why?

DaveReidUK
12th May 2014, 06:35
and regulatory issues of flying them in an airport environmenthttp://static.electronicsweekly.com/news/wp-content/uploads/sites/16/2014/05/ANDERSON-EASYJET-08.jpg

Spot the large structure, with walls and a roof, around the aircraft. It's called a hangar.

Elephant and Castle
12th May 2014, 06:42
So, tell me. How many hangars does easyjet have for 220 aircraft?

737Jock
12th May 2014, 06:51
simplicity of sending a guy up on a cherry picker when needed (ie not that often). Specially given that easyjet's maintenance is subcontracted anyway.

I think you answered that yourself.

If needed renting some hanger space at other airports may not be that expensive on an ad-hoc basis when needed.

Anyway I think they are more enthusiastic about the glasses, think the want to add all AMM procedures to it. And have it identify the various elements of systems for easier recognition.

DaveReidUK
12th May 2014, 07:39
So, tell me. How many hangars does easyjet have for 220 aircraft?I have no idea. Presumably as many as are needed for SR's heavy maintenance checks where the inspection drones will be deployed.