PDA

View Full Version : RPT priority

aussie.pilot..
7th May 2014, 00:50
Is there a CASA reference that states that RPT aircraft have priority over other non RPT aircraft?

If so could somebody please "enlighten" me with the book reference.

Cheers

Blueskymine
7th May 2014, 01:00
No reference, but it is suggested in the aip that aircraft flying for commerce should be given priority.

esreverlluf
7th May 2014, 01:09
ENR 1.4-19 and ENR 1.4-20

Wally Mk2
7th May 2014, 01:13
As has been pointed to here with the above post.
The worlds aviation infrastructure is built mainly on commercial traffic (RPT) it exists for that mainly & they pay the most for that infrastructure hence they have the priority.

Wmk2

dayzel87
7th May 2014, 01:16
There is a reference in both the AIP and Jepps about ATC priority for types of traffic.

I don't have my jepps with me but from memory it is in early ATC-AU-108ish but in the AIP it is ENR 1.4-18-10.1 through to 10.4. (Regulation of Flight - Assessment of priorities) 10.1 is Emergency 10.2 is training 10.3 is Scheduled Air Services and 10.4 is The order of priority in processing aircraft at Sydney.

I think this is what your after?

Cheers

Blueskymine
7th May 2014, 01:26
I thought he was suggesting in a class g situation.

Yes regulation of flight assessment of priorities applies in a controlled environment.

aussie.pilot..
7th May 2014, 01:35
I was actually specifically interested in a class D environment.
I understand that the ATC has overall control. It seems that sometimes they get it wrong.

mcgrath50
7th May 2014, 02:24
When all charter becomes RPT does that mean the C210s will be getting equal priority with the 717s? :}

rowdy trousers
7th May 2014, 03:24
If you are referring to the diversions to YMAV yesterday, it may have something to do with the fuel state of those pesky RPT jets, which had diverted during closure of YMML. If your not referring to these events then please disregard.

Wally Mk2
7th May 2014, 03:45
'Ozzie P' I think you will find most of the answers here where ref to Airspace around the major centers, Class D wasn't mentioned in yr original Q.
But having said that the guy in the Twr at a Class D drome would be looking at the big picture stuff such as Sched's due slot times etc not only any priority the RPT might have.
These ATC'ers are usually local guys/gals in a much quieter environment so they kinda see the situation slightly diff than the major rat race dromes where dog eats dog & a certain Airline owns the sky above them:}

Wmk2

Capn Bloggs
7th May 2014, 11:20
I understand that the ATC has overall control. It seems that sometimes they get it wrong.
Do they? How about giving us the incident/scenario and we might be able to comment. Otherwise, we'll have to keep pulling teeth to work out what you're on about.

When all charter becomes RPT does that mean the C210s will be getting equal priority with the 717s?
Speed and weight will determine that! :}

Awol57
7th May 2014, 13:12
As a Class D controller usually first in best dressed. However, it is much easier for a light aircraft to see a 737 or 717 etc and follow than make a jet orbit on a 10 mile final because he couldn't see a baron. So sometime you may get a bit extended for that type of reason.

Is this the sort of scenario you mean? I can think of numerous other reasons where I may get the RPT jet away ahead of the slower light aircraft but without a specific example I may as well tell you my theory on MH370 :}

PS - The above is how I personally manage traffic, each controller may vary :ok:

mcgrath50
8th May 2014, 01:48
I was more taking a dig at the new rules coming in. At the two Class D aerodromes I've been based out of that mix RPT and GA traffic I think the controllers do a great job of balancing everyone. Sure I've done orbits or had to descend below CTA steps but I've also had jets conduct longer finals or slow their speed to get me in before them. Or jets requiring a backtrack holding at the holding point to get the long line of pistons (with sweating pilots and passengers) away first.

:ok: Good job boys and girls!

Nautilus Blue
8th May 2014, 06:21
If I read AIP and MATS correctly, outside civil capital city CTR, scheduled has no priority.

At SY they get priority over non-jet non-scheduled, GA and training, and at the others just GA and training.

So outside SY, scheduled and non-scheduled are the same priority anyway, and outside capital cities that priority is nil.

Hempy
8th May 2014, 09:43
"significant economic benefit'

kaz3g
8th May 2014, 10:00
Good airmanship covers it.

Kaz

Jabawocky
8th May 2014, 13:18
Bloggsie old mate, how do you plan to go faster and put on weight, at your age and all :}

:ok::ok:

89 steps to heaven
9th May 2014, 11:31
Flights such as medevac / polair do get priority in Class D as they do at other towers. After that, arriving aircraft generally have priority over departing aircraft, then it comes down to making the traffic flow as good as possible. It can be slowing down a RPT to fit in behind a C172 or delaying a non RPT to expedite a sequence of traffic.

Of course many things can affect this, weather, pilot and controller experience, local knowledge, unexpected traffic, equipment failures, etc.

Some examples from today. B738 extended downwind to following an Airvan. A320 held lined up for 3 minutes to facilitate a DHC8 on DME arrival. DHC8 slowed on approach and a E190 processed via an instrument approach to give priority arrival to flying doctor BE20.

Hope this helps.

sms777
9th May 2014, 11:50
G'day Jabba,
I think it could be velocity, the heavier you are the faster you get to your destination......i may be wrong.:}

swamp_1984
9th May 2014, 23:03
I would not state that we get it wrong. Getting it wrong would mean that life's would have be lost, we all don't want that :) I would state that we may not have chosen the best option at the time, I am guilty myself. But it really comes down to safety. After that, we will do our best to make it expeditious.

If the controller is not comfortable with it, it not going to happen. Putting one more aircraft in the air could be just that one too many to keep it all running smoothly, jeopardising safety, as well as putting too much workload on the controller itself.

It really does depend on what the big picture is. E.g there could be only 2 on frequency, but may be a lot that just about to be handed off from other sectors. Its hard to tell.

But what I would suggest is trying to make a visit to your local tower. Most are more then willing to talk to pilots, I know I am. It would help you see what we are up to as well. There can be a lot going on behind the scene that you don't see, as it is for us. We try to do cockpit visit as well to get a pilots point of view.

Hope this helps. :)