PDA

View Full Version : PPL (A) on a TMG?

chaykent
6th May 2014, 13:52
I am currently in a position whereby discounted lessons on a Touring Motor Glider (Scheibe Falke SF25c) are available due to the club moving locations at the end of August this year (2014).

I already have 12 hours flying experience on another TMG (Grob G 109) but I would like to extend this knowledge in order to gain either a EASA LAPL(A) or PPL(A).

My questions are:

What is recommended/preferred in terms of licensing (LAPL or PPL)?

Am I able to complete all of my training (practical wise) on a TMG as opposed to a more conventional aircraft, such as a Cessna or Piper?

Thank you in advance.

Whopity
6th May 2014, 19:23
LAPL versus PPL is very much your choice, what do you want to do at the end of the day. If your aspirations are to just fly TMGs a LAPL is fine but, if you want to move on then a PPL may be a cheaper option in the long term.

You can complete all of your training on a TMG however; there are several factors you need to be aware of. There are virtually no schools currently approved to train for the LAPL on either TMG or SEP and vey few schools can train for an EASA PPL on a TMG. By this time next year, hopefully there will be a few more.

kevkdg
6th May 2014, 20:06
If you can complete it all this year how about getting an nppl with slmg rating and then use the cap804 conversion criteria to convert this directly to an easa ppl early next year.... Or a lapl.

If you go down this route be sure to do a 150nm supervised x country and not the nppl min for slmg of 100. Also might need to cover radio nav aids if you want to convert to easa ppl with tmg class rating.