PDA

View Full Version : speed control on finals in hot weather

goldenwings14255
2nd May 2014, 13:20
In case hot weather with temp above 40 C , while coming in for landing on an ATR-72, the speed fluctuates a lot. Placing the TQ at appx 25 to 29 is of no help as IAS goes up and down at random, resulting in large changes in power levers.
Can any one advise on the best method of speed control in such conditions on final and short finals

Robaviate100
6th May 2014, 12:05
As far as my experience is concerned I would recommend coming in a little hotter perhaps 5-10 Kts more than your VREF speed. The reasons why I expect your airspeed instrument is performing random jumps from airspeed on approach is because of pocket thermals which are most likely changing the pitot direction thus pressure reading.

I can only speculate, though I have some flying experience in Arizona where the heat can cause various problems in flight.

I hope this is a positive suggestion.

Robaviate100
6th May 2014, 12:11
In terms of power setting, experiment with which is the most consistent for stability, airspeed and leave it there. Power changes will just increase instability when the aircraft is trimmed for a particular power setting and airspeed.

My flight experience is on a PA34 so I'm probably not the best to comment but try it out.

moonburn
8th May 2014, 18:00
PPRUNE ?

Ooooooh my Godfathers ! Please stop it.:}

Piper.Classique
8th May 2014, 18:14
Sounds like a case for flying the attitude.....

glendalegoon
22nd May 2014, 22:39
simple

if you are slow, add power

if you are fast, reduce power

if you get very, very slow, add all the power you can to the point where you bend the throttles forward.

if you get very very fast, its probably better to go around.

Its almost, but not quite, like your throttles are volume controls on a stereo system and you want to keep the VU (volume unit) meters in the right area, so back and forth you go.

There may be a tempo to it and you may get to the point where you can anticipate the need for power.

Be stable early on the approach, very early.

You may very well be in windshear. While "thermals" are a nice idea, there may actually be more to it than just the temperature. I've flown in very, very hot weather and didn't have a problem.

Ask yourself, what sort of boundry are you crossing? Water and land? Dark land, and light colored land? Etc. Some of this is covered in the most basic texts like the Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge.

I have to disagree with robaviate. While one power setting would be nice, it is a dynamic and changeable situation. Turboprops are a little easier to handle than a jet in this situation as response times can be pretty quick.

AGAIN, if it is TOO much to handle, GO AROUND with all the power you can!

Always be ready for windshear recovery if you were not smart enough to avoid windshear.

Parson
23rd May 2014, 08:30
Set power, set attitude and leave it at that - don't chase small fluctuations in the ASI. See how you get on - you may need to have a small increase in the power you adopt for approaches in those temps.

memories of px
4th Jun 2014, 13:33
fly the profile, dont chase the speed, allow the speed to fluctuate between whatever the manual says probably vref+10 can vary by -5 to +15, with a constant power setting, keep within whatever your company manual says that constitutes a stable approach....let me dig out my ATR manuals, its been a while.