PDA

View Full Version : Anyone flown in the Austrian mountains?

Hornet863
1st May 2014, 08:34
Hi
I am off on holiday to Kaprun in Austria this summer and by chance where I am staying is close to Zell Am See airfield. Thought I may see if I can hire an aircraft ( with relevant local instructor ) to experience flying in the area while I am out there. Just wondered if anybody has done this or has knowledge of flying from there?
I am a 60 hour PPL holder so a relative newbie keen to expand my flying experience.

red rooster
1st May 2014, 11:59
Hi,
Flew there a number of years ago on holiday, fantastic scenery, Just went to the tower and asked and had a local flight in a motorglider up to the Dam and glacier. Hangars and aircraft were immaculate, most impressed. The airfield has an unusual let down and circuit pattern and is well worth the visit.
Have a good holiday.
RR

Flocki82
1st May 2014, 21:32
Hi,

some impressions from my last trip there:

Alpenflug 2012 | Luftbilder | www.mondania.de | www.mondania.de (http://www.mondania.de/gallery/luftbilder/alpenflug-2012/)

Take your time with the local instructor, as flying in the Alps can be extremely tricky. Also performance calculations are crucial, Zell am See can easily have density altitudes of 5000+ ft and only has a 660m strip.

My suggestion is to get in contact with this local club: Kontakt (http://www.flugring-zellamsee.at/navid.11/kontakt.htm)
But there are more local clubs and they are friendly guys as well.

Regards,
Florian

fin100
1st May 2014, 22:17
I've flown from Zell am See a few times, easy walk from the town and they have a nice Robin 160. Very quiet field. Good experience in mountain flying, worth doing and not as heavy duty as say the Rocky Mountains. Also an good café on the field for a beer afterwards. I'd recommend it. Go up to Kaprun and the other way over the lake to Zell am See.

squawking 7700
2nd May 2014, 15:03
I've tried flying at Zell am See a couple of times but the weather was against me - gliding and motorgliding available, with a Robin and a Remos ultralight also available.
Go along to the airfield and ask at the tower.

The bar's great too (even my wife didn't mind being at that airfield).