PDA

View Full Version : A330 Fuel Pumps

A-3TWENTY
27th Apr 2014, 17:04
Hi Everyone ,

I lost a fuel pump (R1) the other day and the std by took over.No big deal.

The first surprise was when I went to the MEL to see if I could dispatch the airplane at the destination.
It says, I have a fuel penalty of 1% and I had to add 2000 Kgs more on my block fuel....

Not happy I went to abnormal , and saw when we lose a fuel pump , we stay with 2 tones unavailable on the onside inboard tank.

Even more surprised to notice that in the manual it says we have this 2000 kgs referred at the status page , but in the real airplane , no mention was done .

If I had not checked the MEL and the PRO -ABN I would never know about this , despite this a critical information to decide whether we continue the flight or not.

My question is:

Why 2000 kgs become unavailable and why we have a fuel penalty of 1% ??

Thanks in advance

spannersatcx
27th Apr 2014, 18:07
So, you lost a fuel pump, when you wrote in the tech log how was the a/c released, under the MEL or was it fixed?

Good job your a/c didn't have AIB MOD 56966, as that is no dispatch!

The fuel consumption is increased by 1% due to the inhibition of aft transfers. To cope with the failure of the remaining main pump in the affected tank, 2000 kg of additional fuel must be loaded in the aircraft.

In the event of failure of the remaining main pump in the affected tank, 2000 kg of fuel will not be available in the affected tank.

nitpicker330
27th Apr 2014, 22:23
In flight failure of 1 pump is not a problem you can continue.

NEXT dispatch will require 2000kg extra and 1% more burn as spannersatcx says above.

No need to divert and you can depart the next port.

According to my FCOM the Status page will show in flight:--

If the 2 main pumps of the same side are inoperative then L (R) INR TK: 2T unusable

and
INOP SYS
Fuel AFT TFR
L (R) Fuel pump 1 (2)

No biggy.

A-3TWENTY
28th Apr 2014, 00:41
Thanks for the answers,

So, you lost a fuel pump, when you wrote in the tech log how was the a/c released, under the MEL or was it fixed?

It didn`t work for half an hour , then came back on line and never failed again.

According to my FCOM the Status page will show in flight:--

Yes ,I know , also on mine , but the truth is it didn`t show.

In the event of failure of the remaining main pump in the affected tank, 2000 kg of fuel will not be available in the affected tank.

If the 2 main pumps of the same side are inoperative then L (R) INR TK: 2T unusable

It`s correct what nitpicker330 says.With 2 pumps faulty we have two tones unavail.
And then the fuel unavailable makes sense. It`s because the std by pump is out of the colector tank and in the aft part of the tank.

And now I also understand that it should show on status page only if I had two pumps faulty, not with only one.

Agree?

nitpicker330
28th Apr 2014, 06:02
Yes good question!! I think you are correct the note about 2T unusable will only show if 2 pumps are inoperative....that's the trouble with the Airbus FCOMS :ugh:

Either way