PDA

View Full Version : Become an Instructor in UK

Lunar Landing
20th May 2002, 11:39
Im 18 ( as you may know), and i am in the process of researching some information to get me my ATPL endorsed on a CPL. This is alot of money, and i have previously posted a message on Wannabes about loans...and now i have another thought which i meant to mention in the other but this is more a question.

Q) What is the minimum requirement to be an instructor at a flying school to train students to be PPL pilots. I am 18 in Oct, so i feel abit young, however, that is not a prob if i am qualified? However, i appreciate it if i was to be an instructor at 19 and train a 30 year old, with him abit uncomfortable being with me.

The reason i am posting this is because i remember my instructor when i was in this country doing my PPL (which i ended up getting 80 hours (26 solo) in canada last year when i was 16)...when i was here...he said he was building hours(or money, this is what i am confused about) to get his CPL. Does that mean, either way, he has not paid for it, so not got it, or not got it and is saving up hours for it. OR, he has it, and is paying after by earning through instrcution? I am aware of an Instructor rating...so information on the matter will be, as always, much appreciated as it is all in good stead toward the planing of my future which, if takes time, i will achieve.

Smooth skies,

Dan :)

WX Man
20th May 2002, 13:28
For what it's worth, I seem to remember that there was a girl at Halfpenny Green (errr, disregard... I meant Wolverhampton Business Airport) who was an instructor at 19(?).

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_gid08.pdf says that it's 18 for a CPL. It's 21 for an ATPL.