PDA

View Full Version : Where can I fly with an EASA license?

ccm91
18th Apr 2014, 12:22
I was wondering if anyone knew which countries inside and outside of Europe someone could fly in with an EASA license?
If not could someone direct me to where I could find the information?

thborchert
18th Apr 2014, 14:52
Which EASA license? The ones conforming to ICAO are valid world-wide, e.g. PPL, CPL, ATPL or competency based IR (I know, not a license). However, the LAPL and the enroute IR specifically are valid only in EASA member states (which are not the same as EU member states!).

AdamFrisch
18th Apr 2014, 16:30
Not entirely true. You can not fly N-reg in the US on your EASA license even though they are ICAO conforming.

Silvaire1
18th Apr 2014, 17:01
You can not fly N-reg in the US on your EASA license even though they are ICAO conforming. Outside of mutual recognition within EASA-land, the pilot's licence or pilot certificate is generally valid only for aircraft in the same State of registry regardless of where the operation occurs.

I understand the UK has traditionally been an exception, allowing pilots with foreign, non-EASA, ICAO-signatory qualification to fly G-registered aircraft, but that feature of UK law is being progressively removed under EASA direction. I also understand that some other small States outside of EASA-land do maintain the same policy of recognizing foreign pilot qualifications for flying aircraft on their registry. The FAA sits in the middle, making it a paper exercise to fly N-register aircraft instead of granting automatic recognition for holders of ICAO signatory pilot-qualifications

Assuming the pilot qualification and aircraft state of registry match, the location of the operation is irrelevant under ICAO treaty although European law is now moving out of ICAO compliance in that regard.

thborchert
18th Apr 2014, 20:14
Of course you can - after a simple validation :)

The OP didn't ask about the registration of the aircraft involved. To make it simple: With any EASA license, you can fly aircraft registered in any EASA state.

All else (mutual recognition and such) are special cases. One that might matter more than other: US-registered aircraft. You can fly them with nothing but your EASA license inside the country that issued said license, per 14 CFR 61.3 (IIRC). Provided you live in EASA land, you can fly them in all of the world except EASA states with a US certificate (which may be validated on the basis of your EASA license). From April 8th 2015 latest (in some EASA countries from last April 8th), you can only fly N-reg in EASA land (when living there) when you have both a US certificate and an EASA license - except for that one country that issued you license.

Confused yet?

Maoraigh1
19th Apr 2014, 08:09
Can I fly a UK registered permit-to-fly (Non-EASA) aircraft in Ireland and/or France on an EASA PPL? (Ireland and France will accept a UK registered P to F aircraft).

ifitaintboeing
19th Apr 2014, 08:42
Yes you can. An EASA licence is an ICAO-compliant licence. It is rendered valid for use on non-EASA aircraft by the ANO.

http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/2010/Pilot%20Coaching%20Scheme/Forms/CSL3%2012%20EASA%20Transition.pdf

ifitaint...

Hodja
19th Apr 2014, 09:49
How about flying an EASA reg on a different EASA PPL outside EASA?

Example: Can you fly a D-reg on a UK PPL in Egypt?

md 600 driver
20th Apr 2014, 06:49
Ifitaint
Only if it's a uk issued easa licence other states have different rules (they don't have the ano)
Some easa States issue 2 licences a easa for easa reg aircraft and a national for permit and annex11

OhNoCB
20th Apr 2014, 13:05
I don't know too much about it to be honest but I was always taught a 2 in 3 rule.

State of aircraft reg
State flying in
State of licence

If you could satisfy any 2 of these it was fine.

I don't know how true this was or is now.