PDA

View Full Version : Sightseeing PPL holder

chrisonair
7th Apr 2014, 22:39
Hello! I am a PPL holder and i was wondering if i can provide sightseeing "service" especially to tourists and get paid for the fuel and rental of the plane only.

Thanks in advance

Flying_Anorak
7th Apr 2014, 23:10
It's scary that as a PPL holder you had to ask that, sorry. Suggest that you understand the privileges of your licence better...

chrisonair
7th Apr 2014, 23:34
well i advice you not to be scared my friend because you might die young. i am asking because some "rumors" say that as a ppl holder you can fly and "charge" someone only for the rental of the plane including the fuel. i couldnt believe it as it wasnt written in any book but i was curious. that's why i am asking!

Tay Cough
8th Apr 2014, 07:23
Look up "valuable consideration". :ugh:

Whiskey Kilo Wanderer
8th Apr 2014, 08:56
Chris,

Your location may be a factor. You list the ‘Net’ as your location, as this is ubiquitous you could be the offspring of El Presidente for life of some banana republic. In that case you can do what you like, and have the Minister for Aviation removed if there is any objection. If you inhabit a more mainstream location, you will be required to abide by the rules of that country. Most follow the ICAO conventions, which regard the PPL as a non-commercial licence.

You might like to check up on cost sharing, which is about the only way you can offset some of your flying expenses as a PPL. Please do pay due regard to the term ‘holding out to…’ which is basically advertising your services and is frowned on.

There have been some recent changes in the EASA regime which allow a PPL holder to get some remuneration for specific types of flying (predominantly instruction) within a club or training organisation.

Congratulations on your attempt to end up with a small fortune in aviation. The usual advice is to start with a large one.

Safe Flying,
WKW

worldpilot
8th Apr 2014, 09:52
Well, there is no problem in thinking about monetization possibilities using PPL, as long as appropriate considerations are given to the respective policies and regulatory aspects. So conduct a good due diligence in this regard and if unsure, contact the authoritative body that issued you your license.

And, if you end up conducting such an activity (hopefully, with the appropriate authorization in place), make sure you have the required insurance.

Good luck

WP

Mach Jump
8th Apr 2014, 10:50
..."rumors" say that as a ppl holder you can fly and "charge" someone only for the rental of the plane including the fuel....

I have also heard such rumours, said to be based on upcomming EASA rule changes, so I understand your thinking, but, as yet, I have been unable to find any such proposals.

So, good try Chrisonair. ;)

For the moment, the basic rule is that, with a very few specific exceptions, if any valuable consideration is given, or promised with regard to any flight, then the Pilot must have a Professional Licence.

MJ:ok:

chrisonair
8th Apr 2014, 11:48
Thanks all of you for the rest posts. All of them are really helpful and as i can see its not only me that heard that and i was trying to find out if someone noticed this written by EASA because i couldnt find it..

thanks once again

Whiskey Kilo Wanderer
8th Apr 2014, 14:33
Hi Chris,

ORS4 No.1001: General Exemption: The giving of instruction for remuneration by the holder of a United Kingdom Private Pilot’s Licence (Aeroplanes) that includes a Class Rating Instructor Rating (Single Pilot Aeroplane) (CRI(SPA)) (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=6112)

This seems to be the most relevant item. Basically means that you can be paid for instructing on a Class Rating Instructor qualification but without the requirement to have a CPL.

I fear it's not a path to untold riches, but may be useful to some folks in a club environment. I think the LAA Coaches worked on a similar basis and this ruling may be a way of bringing that set up in line with EASA rules.

Safe Flying,
WKW

worrab
8th Apr 2014, 14:45
...and you can (join the queue to) fly the tug at your local glider club.