PDA

View Full Version : EK BONUS!!

lowstandard
4th Apr 2014, 13:04
I just heard from a wery reliable source about the bonus..

EK is going to "Bone" us for the next year!!

Ha ha, lighten up bitches and get going on that extra mile.

Yes I am 17 years old

ekwhistleblower
4th Apr 2014, 13:14
Nah, we'll get a profit share this year and pay rise. Target 4.255B, made 2.2B in first half, traditionally second half better than first.

Used to be in the no expectations can't be hurt camp. Now in the don't ask, don't get and have you seen the Meydan villas, if they don't give a pay rise no one will come camp!

10 weeks and 3+5%

palm
4th Apr 2014, 14:06
Lowstandard...what have you been svsdfghsdtq:confused::confused::confused: lately :}:}:}

This year like all the next ones, NO BONUS and 0.5% pay rise ( eventually) cause we have been working very hard, have we....:eek::eek:

ekwhistleblower
5th Apr 2014, 17:26
Hairpin splitting hairs? I'll take a 10 week profit share or bonus!

CaptainChipotle
5th Apr 2014, 23:05
Call it a profit share, bonus, extra, whatever you want… …I just want to be paid accordingly..

troff
6th Apr 2014, 04:24
There will never, ever, ever be another bonus or profit share, call it what you will, for flight deck crew at EK. Get used to it.

Tight Seat
6th Apr 2014, 05:03
Don't forget certain 'people' get a bonus by making sure 'we' don't get a profit share.

fatbus
6th Apr 2014, 08:04
There is a big difference btetween profit share and bonus, just ask any VP.

pilotrob23
6th Apr 2014, 08:13
I flew with a SFS, who flew with a purser, who flew with a local Captain, who knows a secretary,...... Big Bonus this year.

aussiefarmer
6th Apr 2014, 08:28
Motivation nowadays is at an all-time low.

I believe there will be a bonus, because is the cheapest way to pretend that they care about us.

Pay rise is much more expensive in the long term.

Just imagine the "80 day runway closure hell" without bonus, pay rise and utilities allowance change. I don't think they want to explore that option.

Taylor01
6th Apr 2014, 10:27
I am told by a real source 5 times last year's bonus!

The Guru
9th Apr 2014, 01:54
Hairpin,
You are half right....it is not a bonus, but it is totally discretionary!!
Have a look on the portal under Employee Centre > Profit Share, and I think the same wording is used on page 2 of your contract.
Personally, I know it has been a good year, load factors have been unbelievable, and so I'm betting on 10 weeks but won't spend a cent until it appears in my account.....:suspect::suspect::suspect:

Group Profit Share Scheme

1. NAME AND INTRODUCTION

The scheme will be known as the ‘Emirates Group Profit Share Scheme’ and will be based upon the annual profit results of the Emirates Group for a financial year. The scheme rules will be determined at the sole discretion of the Chairman and Chief Executive of the Group, and may be amended, varied, or suspended from year to year as appropriate.

jack schidt
9th Apr 2014, 03:55
In the statement above, last words. "as appropriate". I would appreciate someone enlighten me as to what the conditions for appropriate are. It must be true that it is either a very big book of excuses or a fag packet document stating "because we dont care".

Mach_Krit
9th Apr 2014, 06:22
creative accounting are the words...:ugh::ugh:

jack schidt
9th Apr 2014, 07:33
M Crit,

We all know what creative accounting is, but that still does not answer the question of what is considered to be "appropriate"?

Now that EK are buying their own aircraft and not leasing them (several a380s now have "Owned by Emirates") this does mean that the money is being reduced into operating costs alot more than times of old. The continued sponsorships from Grand Prix, cricket, Arsenal, sailing to mention a few has a very high hit on the "profit" margin the company makes.

A few quotes to end the post......

How it is:

When morality comes up against profit, it is seldom that profit loses.

Does this sound familiar:

Greed's worst point is its ingratitude

And for those who can accept their fate:

It is not the man who has little, but he who desires more, that is poor.

Moosejaw54
10th Apr 2014, 15:57
IATA: Middle East forecast to reach record profits in 2014 | CAPA - Centre for Aviation (http://centreforaviation.com/news/iata-middle-east-forecast-to-reach-record-profits-in-2014-324242)

Record profits for the ME Carriers ........ And you think profit share will occur !!! LOL people - no one in EK complains

BeCareful
11th Apr 2014, 06:26
There is a reason why the Chinese pay so much... they can't get enough pilots. EK doesn't have that problem... so why should they pay any more than absolute minimum necessary to keep attrition at an acceptable level?

As long as there's a line of Europeans and OZ's trampling over each other to come here, there is absolutely no reason for anything to improve.

haveago
11th Apr 2014, 07:58
Thanks Alan!

Pointer
16th Apr 2014, 05:59
Our profit share has just been confirmed!!!

4 crew Turnarounds.... :mad::mad::mad:

(Edited for accurate emoticon)

Caboclo
16th Apr 2014, 07:08
Seems the glow has worn off. Do y'all still announce yourselves as "THE Mrats 123" on the radio?

lospilotos
16th Apr 2014, 07:46
Our profit share has just been confirmed!!!

4 crew Turnarounds.... :mad::mad::mad:

(Edited for accurate emoticon)

Well, it´s being done already and I think I prefer that to a layover in Kiev at the moment...

Pointer
16th Apr 2014, 12:00
Oh lospilotos; where is your sense of adventure ?

And be careful what you prefer, before you know it.. It will be common practice. That and the 1000 hrs a year (deadhead does not count).. Don't think we will have much time on the ground with family nd friends.

thefoxandfirkin
16th Apr 2014, 13:43
Well according to Sir Tim things are looking up this year:

Emirates looking at new sukuk - Emirates 24/7 (http://www.emirates247.com/news/emirates/emirates-looking-at-new-sukuk-2014-03-11-1.541248)

Any one's guess what this could mean but I reckon we will get a payout..:}

Mr Good Cat
16th Apr 2014, 18:01
“But not just limited to this, we will also look at other operating vessels such as renting out airplanes as you rent out a house.”

We're going to rent out an aeroplane like a Dubai house? Will we suddenly up the rent 20% at late notice and charge a 5% fuel surcharge only for overseas airplane renters.

I've gotta get a piece of this business.

Can I put a slightly embellished model version of my planes in a glass case in a shopping mall and employ supposedly qualified blonde bimbos to advise potential customers?

:E

thehonourablefong
16th Apr 2014, 18:45
Will he be giving a free Lambo (or was it an R8?) to the anyone renting an aeroplane during DSF/DSS?! Or will he just put photos of a different aeroplane up in the classifieds and tell people that it's basically the same thing?

Payscale
17th Apr 2014, 01:29
Vienna turnaround on the A380 is coming

emratty
17th Apr 2014, 05:35
Ten years ago Moscow was a turnaround on the 330 and it's one destination I wish still was! I have not heard the Vienna rumour but as far as I know we are not being allowed to operate the 380 into Vienna due to Lufthansa/Austrian objecting. A turn would be feasible in the summer with 4 crew however during the winter it would have to revert to a layover.

fliion
17th Apr 2014, 07:25
Do CC get rest on Kiev TA?

TheDarkHorse
17th Apr 2014, 17:34
Flii - they are meant to. According to an MCC I spoke to the other day apparently Mgmt think they do however it seems as if they do not and unless the F/D state they are due a rest upon briefing - Pursers really don't give it.

givemewings
18th Apr 2014, 05:47
I believe Vienna t/a is a crewmour that did the rounds after some bright spark spotted it in the timetable for end of April... that being a one off op out, deadhead back deal prior to the flight reductions. Someone ran with it to FB and it went from there... so I don't think it'll be a t/a just yet...

Kiev crew are knackered, and none that I know got any rest

(according to the Book crew should get 30mins on a LHR- YEAH. RIGHT)

jidder
18th Apr 2014, 06:25
Informed by a trader in Dragon mart. They have received an order for around 3500 blankets, blow up pillows and seat cushions. :ok: Seems we will be getting more than a note book this year for a bonus:E

Reminds me, I must got get my note book from under the wobbly table leg in Fibbers:p

GoreTex
18th Apr 2014, 09:05
just saw VIE turnaround in may, think it was the 25th or 26th

jack schidt
18th Apr 2014, 18:43
Nairobi and Athens were made turn arounds due to events at those destinations, they were never made lay-overs again (except the late NBO). I have fears that VIE will be lost as a layover except in the winter months with the possible delays (Perhaps/ Maybe)

CoinOfSilenceII
19th Apr 2014, 06:55
VIE A380 is a one day event to celebrate 10 years of Emirates VIE-DXB Service . No Panic

kingpost
19th Apr 2014, 07:38
I'm sure these turn arounds will only be applicable when there is a single runway operation in DXB, otherwise it doesn't make any commercial sense.

Why block off 4 seats (round trip) and lose that revenue, that's twice as costly as a night stop, especially to premium destinations like VIE!

kevinerasm
19th Apr 2014, 10:42
so the 'ulr' ta's are on the cards.

Anyone consider the real consequences. Besides being tired as hell operating back (because don't be fooled into thinking you won't be tired, especially when there is wx (enroute or other) or some other considerations, you wont be switching off on your 'rest') - the 'rest' crew on the return sector will no longer be on FDP, and so will have a seriously reduced home rest before the next duty.

as was mentioned, be careful about what you wish for.

If this is just left to be on a Kiev or other, we all know our friendly roster guys will make it the norm.

And to top it off, it will become a 'rest' in a 2 class (yes, no crc) - as recently happened in an augment CPT. serving 42 pax instead of 8 makes a huge diff in the noise level and the amount of time the bright cabin lighting is left on, besides the fact that the seat doesn't fully recline, and is too small to substitute as a bed (for me and many others). All in all absolutely no rest obtained.

safety above all else - oh no wait that is profit-(not to be)share(d)...

CaptainChipotle
19th Apr 2014, 15:43
Just in case anyone thinks we will actually get a profit "share" this year.

Emirates defends no staff bonus, despite huge profit - Transport - ArabianBusiness.com (http://www.arabianbusiness.com/emirates-defends-no-staff-bonus-despite-huge-profit-501206.html)

fatbus
19th Apr 2014, 16:29
For info that artical is a year old, but expecting the same thing this year.

The Turtle
19th Apr 2014, 16:30
the other airline received 4 weeks I heard

SOPS
19th Apr 2014, 16:48
Yes, the airline that can't be spoken about, got 4 weeks.

Outatowner
21st Apr 2014, 00:51
Didn't STC want all the UK flights operated as turnarounds on the Whale?

I believe some years ago he was quoted in F.I. as saying EK crew would live in harmony aboard the Whale and ply the skies for weeks at a time, eating crew meals and saving money on hotel rooms. A bit like a cruise ship...... or The Yellow Submarine.

BLOGGSON
21st Apr 2014, 03:24
That would definitely be the time to take up another profession.

fatbus
21st Apr 2014, 05:21
MO'L wanted standing room only on 73, it's all about getting your name in the press

MR8
21st Apr 2014, 06:35
The FCI for 4 crew TA flights is IMHO only an official plan for destinations where they CAN NOT layover (e.g. Kiev)

If you do the rough math on this one:

A skipper costs the company minimum about 70000 DHS per month, an FO 55000. That is cost to the company, not what you get in your salary ( salary + housing + medical + training + provident + ...)

If we look at the turn around where this might happen, they would have a minimum block time of around 11 hours, there and back. Roughly 330 extra crew hours required per month for this to happen, so minimum 4 extra crews required.This would cost the company (70K + 55K) x 4 = 500000 DHS per month.

For 500K per month, they can spend around 16500DHS per night on layover costs, or for a main fleet crew around 900DHS per person per night for the layover.
Looking at the hotel prices and allowances we get, I would say that in general EK doesn't spend that much per crew on a layover, so bottom-line it would be cheaper to layover compared to scheduling a 4 crew TA.

I realise this is some rough math with quite a few estimates in there, but you can't argue that there is no cost benefit, and isn't that exactly what drives this company nowadays?

TheDarkHorse
22nd Apr 2014, 10:15
MR8 - you think they are that intelligent?? I imagine they go "oh look if we take out the hotel stay it'll save x amount"

Having spoken to a senior cc manager the other day he said that Kiev is a turnaround because of insurance purposes and that apparently the insurance company will not cover pilots and cc to stay in Kiev. When I mentioned about the cc not having rest he said they are meant to have rest. So what management know about what happens and what actually happens seem to be 2 different things.

palm
22nd Apr 2014, 13:01
197 millions €.....here is our BONUS guys. It is all gone and forever. :}:}:}:}

The partial closure of the Dubai airport pushed the Emirates Airlines to reduce frequencies on routes 41 for 80 days , while maintaining service on its entire network.

In its press release of 17 April 2014, the UAE company states that the work begins on May 1 has led to "adjust its operations to accommodate reductions in traffic at Dubai International Airport ." This will have no impact on passengers who have already booked a flight in May or June since the changes were "integrated long in the flight program ," says Emirates Airlines whose CEO Tim Clark ensures that reductions in frequency were partially offset by the introduction of larger aircraft .

Side fleet , Emirates Airlines will nail the ground 20 aircraft in May , 22 June and 22 July ; she take the opportunity to perform heavy maintenance , including his first change of the landing gear on a Boeing 777- 300ER , the improvement of some cabins and entertainment system on board, or the update of its Global Communication Suite ( GCS ), which requires each aircraft 2,200 hours of work on mechanical and avionics.

Estimated by the company because of the work of the airport , where she is half the cost of traffic : 197 million euros in lost revenue. This does not preclude Emirates Airlines to "understand and support all these heart renovations that will increase the capacity of Dubai and ultimately participate in improving the travel experience ." It must therefore "look to long term while managing the short-term pain ," says the CEO.

Work at Dubai airport last from May 1 to July 20 , the time of a facelift to its facilities. The southern runway will be closed during the month of May to install new lights and additional taxiways and quick exits . The north runway will be completely resurfaced it , to receive 180,000 tonnes of asphalt due to premature wear apparently due to too many Airbus A380 using it. The airport manager is expected to move during this period about 26% of traffic to Dubai World Central- Al Maktoum, which opened its doors in October passenger traffic. It now receives flights of low cost Wizz Air and Jazeera Airways ( Kuwait City) , Qatar Airways, Gulf Air and Kyrgyzstan Air Company, as well as charter Condor from Germany or from Neos Air Italy . During construction, these companies will be joined among others by Flydubai , Jet Airways, Transaero , Malaysia Airlines, Royal Brunei Airlines, Philippine Airlines and Yemenia - while Air India , Air India Express , Cebu Pacific or Pakistan International Airlines will be like " exiled " in Sharjah.

Today, in its first operational sentence , Al -Maktoum airport is able to accommodate 7 million passengers per year. But with six runs 4500 meters (one specially adapted to the Airbus A380) and three terminals spread over an area of ​​140 km2 , Al- Maktoum is designed to accommodate term 120 million passengers per year (or even up 160 million ) , or 30% more than the capacity of Atlanta , the current first airport in the world . This airport is part of Dubai World Trade Center, a huge shopping complex at the scale of a small town.

fatbus
22nd Apr 2014, 16:00
With the hope of being proved wrong , anyone thinking of of profit share is the just plain daft. Gone forever people .

BANANASBANANAS
23rd Apr 2014, 08:45
Southwest Airlines' profit-sharing payout: What capitalism should be - The Term Sheet: Fortune's deals blogTerm Sheet (http://finance.fortune.cnn.com/2014/04/17/southwest-airlines-profit-sharing-payout-what-capitalism-should-be/)

jack schidt
23rd Apr 2014, 18:08
When is the no bonus statement?

Mach_Krit
23rd Apr 2014, 19:38
Last year it was first week of may

scandistralian
23rd Apr 2014, 19:55
Last year it was by email on the first Thursday of May, at approx. 1600 (basically after everyone had left the office).

"Hello Tomorrow"

Shaky Hands
24th Apr 2014, 03:14
Last 2 years it was the 10th of May.

cerbus
24th Apr 2014, 05:54
We will probably get a Bonus like Delta, Fed Ex and Southwest got just to keep all the Yanks from leaving.
Why would they stay when airlines are rolling out the riches in the states?
I really don't believe Emirates iis going to shaft its employees THREE (3) years in a row. That is not good business sense but then again the company did not get any blowback from what they did to,us last year so why not steal from us again.

Panther 88
24th Apr 2014, 19:39
Guys, let's get it straight the difference between a bonus and profit share. They're two different animals with regard to any company. One has to do with the performance of one's company, the other is a "reward" for going the extra mile and contributing to whatever bottom line there might be. One is manipulated the other is a "thank you". You figure which we will get or not get.

Rather Be Skiing
24th Apr 2014, 20:16
We will probably get a Bonus like Delta, Fed Ex and Southwest got just to keep all the Yanks from leaving. Why would they stay when airlines are rolling out the riches in the states? I really don't believe Emirates iis going to shaft its employees THREE (3) years in a row. That is not good business sense but then again the company did not get any blowback from what they did to,us last year so why not steal from us again.

Of course, since the company doesn't give a s@&t about its employees, I don't think what those companies do has any bearing whatsoever.

CaptainChipotle
24th Apr 2014, 20:50
NO BO-nus! Keep rowing, minions!

GA Button
25th Apr 2014, 04:56
It doesn't help our cause when people keep shouting on public forums that we're never going to get a bonus again....
All you're doing is making it easier for EK management to go down that road.
Of course we're going to get a bonus! :)

Wizofoz
25th Apr 2014, 06:05
Actually, it just kinda shows our ego-centricity.

We are 3500 employees of an organisation that employs over 50 000, yet seem convinced the bonus or otherwise is totally linked to whether the company wants US happy or not.

Sorry, we are not THAT important!!

lospilotos
25th Apr 2014, 07:21
Sorry, we are not THAT important!!

Well, actually we are... Being one accountant short won´t put a flight to a grid halt. Missing a pilot though...

Saltaire
25th Apr 2014, 08:10
I believe we will get a profit share this year - 2 weeks as we did exceed the target. Unfortunately, what we really need is a much deserved pay raise. Speaking of which, my prediction - 3% step plus 1%. ( effectively 1% as I don't consider the step as a pay raise and neither should you ) So are we happy now? :O:O

Rather Be Skiing
25th Apr 2014, 08:19
I believe we will get a profit share this year - 2 weeks as we did exceed the target. Unfortunately, what we really need is a much deserved pay raise. Speaking of which, my prediction - 3% step plus 1%. ( effectively 1% as I don't consider the step as a pay raise and neither should you ) So are we happy now? :O:O

How do you know we exceeded target?

My expectations have been for a repeat of last year: so close, but...

Wizofoz
25th Apr 2014, 10:22
Missing a pilot though...

And we'd only have 3499 left!!

My point being, we are part of the equation, not the whole enchilada.

fliion
25th Apr 2014, 10:54
Wiz,

I, and I suspect, many others take exception to that comment.

To suggest that the pilot group of any major airline is not important underscores the fact that many within our ranks will 'dumb down' our profession.

The other 50,000 do not have anything near the package that we have - reflecting the critical nature of the pilot's skill set.

I realize we are not managers - but it's one thing for the company to destroy the corporate culture - which they have since GFC - but it's another to have one of our own dilute the importance of the 3600 - most who still believe they represent a 'great profession'.

lospilotos
25th Apr 2014, 11:12
And we'd only have 3499 left!!

My point being, we are part of the equation, not the whole enchilada.

You´re missing my point and I don´t know why you are so eager to downplay your own importance...

So what if there are 3499 pilots available, if 3500 is needed on the day, there is still one plane not going anywhere that day. If the accountant is missing the spread sheet will be filled out the day after, but planes operating is kinda important to an airline.

Lastly, I prefer to see myself as a nice juicy burrito...

Wizofoz
25th Apr 2014, 11:19
To suggest that the pilot group of any major airline is not important

Where did I say we are not important?

I said we are not the only factor in managements decisions.

The fact that any suggestion to the contrary get's your back up rather makes my point, not yours.

Wizofoz
25th Apr 2014, 11:26
if 3500 is needed on the day,

Which is, of course, never the case.

All I'm saying is let's get things in perspective.

Having enough of us well trained enough to do our jobs is of curse necessary, and putting pay and conditions at a level the ensures this is just good business.

But this thread suggests the whole argument as to whether the entire work-force will receive a profit share as being about our particular group.

That's just a little bit arrogant. We are part of a larger picture.

Sure, you'll fly the day we don't have enough accountants- right up till we can't get fuel because the account hasn't been paid.

We will also be just was grounded the day the legal minimum number of flight attendants doesn't show up, or there are insufficient engineers to sign out the aircraft.

I'm not downplaying our importance. But thinking we are the ONLY factor in the airlines thinking isn't helpful either.

falconeasydriver
25th Apr 2014, 11:35
I'm not downplaying our importance. But thinking we are the ONLY factor in the airlines thinking isn't helpful either.

Careful Wiz, that comment might just qualify as common sense, expect a knock at your door in the next hour or two to have those "revolutionary" concepts removed by the application of a newly issued FCI......

lospilotos
25th Apr 2014, 12:23
UPDATE 1-Republic Airways says lack of pilots to cut 2014 profit | Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/11/republic-planes-idUSL2N0LG0VI20140211)

It wasn´t accountants, engineers nor cabin crew they were missing...

Of course I understand that everyone plays a part in this big machinery, however there are few roles where lack of qualified personnel has such a direct impact on the operation. In our case we can even go with a couple of cabin crew down, as long as we cover the doors. Try going with one pilot down (on a 2 man crew that is...)

Wizofoz
25th Apr 2014, 12:29
Sure.

But's that's not the position Emirates is currently in, and is not going to be a decisive factor in whether or not we (and everyone else in the company) get a profit share.

Mach_Krit
25th Apr 2014, 13:48
I reckon that the time the local boys and gals start having issues with the t&c, things will change.

Hearing rumours that this may be the case at the moment.

We will see....inshallah

fatbus
25th Apr 2014, 16:24
Pilots are Important to the bottom line . They are just not valued by EK management. Pilots are skilled labours that's how you are viewed .

ChillinInTheDesert
25th Apr 2014, 16:57
Great post, Wiz! (#68)

Mr Good Cat
26th Apr 2014, 06:26
I reckon that the time the local boys and gals start having issues with the t&c, things will change.

Hearing rumours that this may be the case at the moment.

We will see....inshallah

Unfortunately, I fear you are very wrong on this one...

If Ts and Cs for the locals need to be raised, it can only be the expats who pay for it. Always has been the way and always will be. (Housing tax etc etc).

B. Bonga
26th Apr 2014, 08:24
Just thinking of the last pay rise we got. The mathematics/formulation was so complicated .....am not so sure if we got a pay rise or we are paying the company a small percentage of our coin.

IF we get a pay rise this year, it will be followed by a powerpoint presentation, FCN, FCI, ACI, SMS, ASR, CCI, DL, CHFR, AAM, CSR et al describing the breakdown......

Jet II
26th Apr 2014, 16:19

I've always operated on the assumption that the most important person in the airline is the girl in the office in HQ that pushes the button every month that send the money into the bank - if she doesnt do her job the whole airline stops, not just a single flight. ;)

Volverine
27th Apr 2014, 03:17
Guys, after they pay sports sponsoring, UK made advertisements and all other markering B..S ...t (golf .F1. Soccer. Tennis etc...) plus Abu Dhabi brothers taxes, What are you expecting ? Peanuts ? You got it.
just work and stay silent please.
:)

The Turtle
27th Apr 2014, 04:39
Housing allowance increase and six percent raise please.....

HarryDunne
27th Apr 2014, 08:43
Don't sell yourself short Turtle, or do you mean 6% plus a step?

If we aren't given a 10% pay increase then we will continue to be below average paid pilots on our respective fleets - living in a country with higher living costs than any other.

There's a growing number of pilots who are contemplating leaving- by this I don't mean looking around, I mean contemplating contract offers they have in their inbox. This month I've flown with chaps who have offers in the States, Norway and those even considering going back to a low cost Irish airline. There's also Captains I know who are ready to set sail to China for shift pay increase and Turkey for essentially a pay cut as they've had enough of the 95 hour months with very little reward.

I have faith, for the final May, however I know I am in the minority. Not sharing the profit is greedy, not paying employees what they should is worse.

BigGeordie
27th Apr 2014, 10:11
6% plus step and about 10% on housing should just about put us back where we were 2 years ago. Inflation in Dubai is heading upwards again, whatever the "official" figures say.

The "step" is not a pay rise, although they try to sell it as such. It is an acknowledgement that experience still means something, it encourages people to stay in the company and should be paid every year regardless of what inflation is doing. It is not supposed to help cover the cost of living increases year to year.

helen-damnation
30th Apr 2014, 12:45
Presumably tomorrow is "the" day :eek:

BigGeordie
30th Apr 2014, 12:48
The announcement is not always at the start of May, it can be more towards the middle. I would expect there would be some kind of fanfare and buildup before hand so the World can be ready to find out what a successful company we are. Usually there is some kind of theatrical event in the atrium at EGHQ so all the office workers can cheer the results.

palm
30th Apr 2014, 13:29
Tomorrow is "indeed" the day....the closing day....aaaaaaaaaaaa

CAT3A
30th Apr 2014, 15:10
Last year was on the 10th

jack schidt
30th Apr 2014, 18:21
Announcement will be made on the 7th and there might just be a little surprise in there.

CaptainChipotle
1st May 2014, 00:04
I'll believe it when I see it...

helen-damnation
1st May 2014, 05:44
and there might just be a little surprise in there

You've all gone the extra mile and we did well but…. surprise, we didn't quite make the target :eek:

BobDole
1st May 2014, 06:37
How is it the "extra mile" when it's expected that everyone will do it?

You would have thought they would throw us a bone to motivate the employee group before this 80 day challenge or what ever they are calling it. But since that didn't happen.....

It will be very interesting to see how this summer plays out with a fully disenfranchised group of employees. My guess is that everyone will do just enough to not be put on the boat headed home and not an inch more. Just look back at history to see how well that has played out for a company choosing profits at all cost.

I'm crossing my fingers that I'll be wrong............

ramius315
1st May 2014, 06:40
You shouldn't be wanting a profit share.

Unless you are planning on leaving in the next 12 months then it is the worst reward you could be given.

What you should be looking for is a substantial increase in the basic salary which has fallen to a very poor level. Anything less than a 17% increase on that and you have lost. The inflation level around the world - not just the ridiculous nature in Dubai - is quite staggering, and putting salaries to a very low level in real terms

Get that 'catch up to inflation' pay-rise first, and then a profit share on top is a reward. Get a 6 week or 8 week or 10 week profit share, with a normal incremental increase in salary and you have really lost out.

Do the sums and you'll see why that one-off profit-share with no substantial increase in monthly salary is a 'bonus' for the company, and not you.

BobDole
1st May 2014, 06:47
You are correct. I think most would take a adequate pay rise any day over a bonus. But they probably won't do either one in my opinion.

The pay rise will come when enough of us have voted with our feet and the outsiders that they want to attract stay away. I think that day is coming soon, but I don't think it's here just quite yet.

fliion
1st May 2014, 09:12
Agree with BD...not quite there yet,..but getting closer.

It is a fundamental universal tenet of global good business ...that when a corporation prospers - so do it's people.

It's this divergence that creates the resentment ...the co. makes more money, we make less.

Something always gives.

The breaking point may not happen for years if at all during my career...but it is my own speculation that if there were to be a accident (I hope it NEVER happens)

It would result in onion peeling by external factors...showing a rot at the core.

Probably only then will they wake up.

JAARule
1st May 2014, 11:57
Wow that's amazing... any other insights, gems of wisdom, etc?

fliion
1st May 2014, 12:22
Only the three ethics of sarcasm:

Evades rational debate
Portrays one in a bad light
Creates unnecessary conflict

next

Rather Be Skiing
2nd May 2014, 04:00
I see Ethiopian has increased their package. Perhaps, another sign that there is increasing competition for qualified pilots.

Maybe, just maybe, the supply and demand equation is moving in our favour. That will, eventually, force companies like EK to consider their compensation.

Will it be this year? I am guessing they will try to avoid it as long as possible. Then, when they are faced with parked airplanes, full crisis management will be the response.

Pointer
2nd May 2014, 21:32
And measures will be put in place to cover the 'shortage'.. Three man ULR (just don't call it ULR) 4 man turnarounds on medium/long haul, 1000 hrs limit and.. Oh wait.. Aren't those already being tested? Hmm..

GNL
3rd May 2014, 16:27
Thursday 8th, 1600h.....complete overcomplicated email on why there is nothing, push send and run ! ( like all bad news deliveries here)

Saltaire
3rd May 2014, 19:03
My worst case scenario- we beat the profit target. 2 weeks. Oh, and we give you a 3% raise ( step )

Best case - we beat the target 4 weeks. 3% ( step ) + 3% increase. Other than that you're dreaming people…

We shall see next week. :ok:

Macrohard
4th May 2014, 03:04
1600 on Thursday ...... Not getting my hopes up

Rim-job
4th May 2014, 04:02
How do you guys know the announcement is this Thursday at 16:00?

Have they sent out some type of email stating date and time?

Rather Be Skiing
4th May 2014, 04:26
How do you guys know the announcement is this Thursday at 16:00? Have they sent out some type of email stating date and time?

They don't. Just blind speculation.

We all could make good CNN reporters: when there is no real news/information, make something up!

trimotor
4th May 2014, 05:33
In reply to those wanting a pay rise in lieu of profit share...just done some quick sums, and assuming only a slight growth in the additional provident fund accumulations with the additional personal and company contributions, it would need to be about an 8 week profit share (-ish) to be better than a base 3% increment if the profit share was to be more lucrative, assuming the recipient stays a further 15 years..

BANANASBANANAS
4th May 2014, 08:00
Have you compounded the knock on effects of missing out on a 3% pay rise this year on each of the next 15 years?

I will take the pay rise every time as it then becomes locked in.

pilotrob23
4th May 2014, 08:03
Isn't a good indication of receiving a profit share usually an invitation to EGHQ for an announcement of our financial profits? If we receive a typical email concerning our financial "analysis" of the year, that is usually not a good sign?! I am still in the minority and think we will receive something, but we shall see in the coming weeks. Cheers!

Eau de Boeing
5th May 2014, 10:08
Well we have the invitation......

We can also ask questions too!

springbok449
5th May 2014, 10:17
Well our colleagues down the road got something this year (last year too BTW) so maybe they're feeling a bit of pressure....oh hang on I have just woken up...

BANANASBANANAS
5th May 2014, 10:25
Well, I shall make the effort to go. Hopefully it will be worth the 100dh cab fare.

jidder
5th May 2014, 10:45
We get to go pick up our new " WAVES @ " egg timer in person. Especially since they can't put it in our mail box :}

BobDole
5th May 2014, 11:35
It would probably be a voucher for the egg timer... They would play the odds that you wouldn't claim it and then they can save the extra coin! :E

lospilotos
5th May 2014, 11:57
Now you all sound like whining pilots. Wasn't this what we were hoping for, this exact email? I for one am giving them the benefit if the doubt. I might be proven wrong, we'll see on Thursday.

BobDole
5th May 2014, 12:07
Ohh lighten up... It's just a little joke based off past actions of our incredible leadership team.

This is an internet message board.... We're not exactly saving the world on here are we? :}

I hope we are given what is due. Nothing more. Nothing less. We shall know in a few days.

fliion
5th May 2014, 12:13
Cautious optimism may be forgiven...but not counting chickens yet.

As a reminder:

2013-14 group profit target 4.22bn DHS, 1st six months achieved 2.2bn DHS.

However: 2012-13 target was 3.5bn and 3.1bn was reached.

The first half of that year was very promising only to have profit collapse (inexplicably) in the 2nd half. BUT there was no presentation in atrium...bad news delivered via GroupWorld

Thurs will be interesting indeed.

falconeasydriver
5th May 2014, 12:16
Deposit but down on the trabant, its gonna be sooooo sweet running up and down SZR spending my wealth on salik….
Keep rowing...

lospilotos
5th May 2014, 12:36
Ohh lighten up... It's just a little joke based off past actions of our incredible leadership team.

I agree, it was quite funny. Just that the people I fly with these days are so
disgruntled that it is hard to tell who´s joking or not. I agree, I hope we get what is due....:ok:

form717
5th May 2014, 12:40
So did someone actually receive an e-mail? Inviting them to what exactly? Nothing in my inbox... maybe some of us were left off the list (on purpose??).

Best I check my spam folder where the "best garden" and "groupworld" e-mails usually end up.

ekwhistleblower
5th May 2014, 13:16
Sheikh Ahmed would not stand in front of the troops and offer platitudes. There will be a profit share, the question is how much. 10 weeks / 10% would be very satisfactory. Gotta go, just had a pig on the TCAS.

emratty
5th May 2014, 13:25
There will be a bonus don't expect a bumper one! 4 weeks I believe.

palm
5th May 2014, 15:20
A bonus yes, that's for sure, but you can already divided it by 2 ( eventually by 4) as you apparently didn't get anything the last 2 years.

As for an hypothetic pay adjustment , the pay cut ( productivity increase) a few years ago was so "strong" that you guys will never even be close to what you really deserve.

And BTW, nothing comes for free so enjoy the announcement in a few days but be ready for what is coming in a few weeks....thrust me:yuk::yuk::yuk:

glofish
5th May 2014, 15:36
...thrust me :yuk::yuk::yuk:

Where?? :ugh:

jidder
5th May 2014, 16:12
@ Lospilotos

Have a sense of humour and you may find the guy sitting next to you is laughing with you instead of at you.

Good or bad whatever the announcement, try to remain upbeat and the day will go better I'm sure. If your not then I understand why the guy sat next to you is disgruntled :ok:

Emma Royds
6th May 2014, 06:28
2 weeks apparently....

Mach_Krit
6th May 2014, 07:58
Hardly worth warmly inviting everyone to attend...just to hear the only clapping coming from everyones jaw hitting the floor

The Zohan
6th May 2014, 08:09
Where??

in a land far far away...

BANANASBANANAS
6th May 2014, 08:36
I cannot believe we would be invited to attend EGHQ if it was only 2 weeks. Has to be at least 4 weeks to lend the 'announcement' any credibility at all. And it really should be significantly more. We shall see.

ekwhistleblower
6th May 2014, 10:48
We all must have short memories, the company made 3 and a bit billion last year and we got nothing, inflation continues to rise but 2 weeks and access to top accommodation at MH will put it all right......

ChillinInTheDesert
6th May 2014, 11:09
Given their stinginess last year, I would like to think that since they're inviting staff to attend the presentation this week, that it must be something substantial.
Of course we all know the company we're dealing with here, so its highly unlikely, but I have a glimmer of hope that if they're going to make a big deal of this that it would stroke their egos if they at least gave a higher bonus than what all other airlines are giving this year. I'm probably dreaming, I know.

So do we know how many weeks other airlines are giving out?

Time will tell and on Thursday we'll all know.

ekwhistleblower
6th May 2014, 14:39
FORTUNE -- Earlier this week, Southwest Airlines (LUV) announced workers will share in a record $228 million profit-sharing payout this year. That's nearly double the $121 million payout a year ago, and an example to everyone of what American capitalism should be.

Southwest has a long history of broad-based cash profit sharing, broad-based employee stock ownership, and even, for many years, broad-based stock options among all of its employees. One can look at the Dallas-based airline's actions using a "small ball" perspective, and think they are simply incentives to get people to work harder, or that it's just a story about compensation. But what Southwest is really doing is setting the example of how all U.S. corporations should behave in a capitalist system that is inclusive to employees.

http://http://finance.fortune.cnn.com/2014/04/17/southwest-airlines-profit-sharing-payout-what-capitalism-should-be/

fatbus
6th May 2014, 14:40
And your point is?

ekwhistleblower
6th May 2014, 14:43
Answering Chillin's question but you knew that my jaundiced friend!

pilotrob23
6th May 2014, 15:13
I like the Southwest post. You have to wish Herb was still there, he made many pilots millionaires with their stock. That is the way to run an airline, or a business. The people come first (employees). Seeing why they have made a profit every year, for decades.

I hope that model continues, and EK has a wonderful opportunity come Thursday. Either way, the majority thought that profit share was over. Maybe not...

scandistralian
6th May 2014, 15:32
Possibly an announcement on the A350 too?

HarryDunne
6th May 2014, 15:37
Having sat down with someone who is a bit more important than myself, we've run some figures and the company should be giving 8 to 10 weeks as profit share.

The term 'should', as we are all aware having read the beautifully worded manuals, doesn't mean 'must'.

Harry

spanishfly69
6th May 2014, 16:45
ekwhistleblower,
I will be the last one to defend EK. Most likely, I will agree with you about EK, I just do not like comparisons or to look at someone else house. We tend to focus on the good things only. Why don't you post how Southwest screwed all Airtran pilots. Yes Airtran pilots got f@@@d big time.

ekwhistleblower
6th May 2014, 17:54
S69,

2 reasons:

1. We were talking about profit share and 2. I have no knowledge of Air Tran.

As to my view on EK, it's complicated not all good and not all bad, my worries are for the Airlines future and by extension our's but that is one to discuss over a beer.

vfenext
7th May 2014, 04:29
I have no knowledge of Air Tran.
Judging by the rest of your posts I'd suggest it's not just Air Tran.

palm
7th May 2014, 05:44
The bonus has finally arrived, ....you can collect it right now, a FIFA badge for the world cup 2014. :}:}:}:}:}

BobDole
7th May 2014, 06:24
Are we required to wear that pin or is it optional? Just one more thing to stab me through the shirt! :)

haveago
7th May 2014, 07:02
if you lose it they don't replace it, so there is your answer! Whoops!! I can't find mine….

moneyhoon
7th May 2014, 07:15
With the amount if 'bling' we are running on the left side of the shirt I am starting to walk lopsided.

altocu
7th May 2014, 07:46
I'd suggest buying a coffee and carrying it in your right hand in order to remedy any lateral imbalance issues, but that would put you in danger of contravening another edict. :ugh:

fringhtok
7th May 2014, 09:17
Latest email has plans for shuttle busses, shops around the atrium closed, non-staff kept out of the area, etc.

They're not going to all that trouble for another 'Hello Zero'. :O:O

falconeasydriver
7th May 2014, 11:19
Latest email has plans for shuttle busses, shops around the atrium closed, non-staff kept out of the area, etc.

They're not going to all that trouble for another 'Hello Zero'.

I wouldn't want to bet my profit share last year on your assertion...

Mach_Krit
7th May 2014, 12:22
and please don't lean on the glass :=:=

RUB 1 OUT
7th May 2014, 14:37
Who cares about profit share, it's nice but it's only a top up. The real issue is on the base salary.... That's what needs to be addressed.:ugh::{

Alconguin Crusader
8th May 2014, 07:49
Probably 5 weeks bonus to keep ahead of the other guys and 5% pay raise (plus the 3% contractual).
That will satisfy most pilots here and keep the new hire classes full.

PGA
8th May 2014, 07:55
Probably nothing, since we missed our target:

Emirates Group profits soar 32% to Dh4.1b | GulfNews.com (http://gulfnews.com/business/aviation/emirates-group-profits-soar-32-to-dh4-1b-1.1329782)

BigGeordie
8th May 2014, 08:00
Nice of them to tell the press before the employees. Not.

haveago
8th May 2014, 08:25
Absolute joke!! So much for the big announcement.. Nice Job EK!!!

Trader
8th May 2014, 08:30
A bonus is nice but it won't attract pilots or keep them! A one time gift that is sporadic won't be enough.

New joiners know that if join the airline down the road the upgrade will come far more quickly. Pay is slightly better and they don't fly the hours we do. So WHY would anyone come to EK first?

AS mentioned in a washup last week that attrition is becoming a problem!! People are leaving because they can make more money elsewhere and fly 75-80 hour months.

For most pilots the 92 hours is an issue. Until they deal with that pilots will leave. Any pilot over 50 is crazy NOT to!! These hours are a health hazard and now that there are options elsewhere where you can fly less AND make more more AND be based at or near home more and more will leave.

A bonus would be a nice way of saying GOOD JOB but it won't attract or retain pilot.

pilotrob23
8th May 2014, 08:35
Target was 4.2, and EK made 4.1? Is that correct?

YYZ
8th May 2014, 08:35
More detail in the Arabian business news.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com//emirates-airline-sees-profit-up-by-42-5--549421.html

FL XXX
8th May 2014, 09:12
Bonus: 20x we had last year!!

jack schidt
8th May 2014, 09:32
Wait for it, waiiiiiit for it........and the profitable week share to employees is??????

Nedul
8th May 2014, 09:56
Our remuneration packages are based on the labour law of each country and are benchmarked with other reputed airlines. Emirates provides a Profit Share to all eligible staff based on company performance which has ranged from between 2 and 14 weeks of basic salary. All eligible staff can avail concessional airline rebated tickets for self and family.
:D:D:D:D:D:D

haveago
8th May 2014, 10:00
so we got nothing??

FLEX/MCT
8th May 2014, 10:04
3 weeks! :ok:

lospilotos
8th May 2014, 10:05
3 weeks we got

falconeasydriver
8th May 2014, 10:06
so we got nothing??

Nothing? nothing? YOU got plenty sunshine….

Monty Python- Four Yorkshire Men - YouTube

BobDole
8th May 2014, 10:10
Is the pay review out on the say day typically? I can't recall from years past.

Rather Be Skiing
8th May 2014, 10:15
Did they announce next years impossible target?

ChillinInTheDesert
8th May 2014, 10:15
Don't think so, Bob.

BigGeordie
8th May 2014, 10:16
Pay review will probably be out at 16:00. Press send and run...

And 3 weeks? After two years of nothing? I know it could have been worse but, really, 3 weeks?

BANANASBANANAS
8th May 2014, 10:16
If 3 weeks is confirmed it is a fraction below what I expected and a great deal below what I think is necessary to stop pilots leaving.

So, the pay rise then becomes the deal breaker. If EK don't award something substantial I will be dusting off the back pages of Flight again.

Schnowzer
8th May 2014, 10:19
The company is betting you won't! 3+2% and a challenge plus struggle in the letter!

cerbus
8th May 2014, 10:20
Is 3 weeks enough to satisfy the SCs?
Everyone was expecting more but throwing us a tiny nugget might just stop the outward flow.
Pay raise should be more than we think. They have to do something.

HarryDunne
8th May 2014, 10:21
Perfectly put Bananas. If the pay isn't increased to match that being offered elsewhere (in countries that aren't so expensive to live in) then I will be joining the ever increasing amount of my colleagues who are looking to leave.

It's no surprise whatsoever that the roadshows are attracting record low numbers of pilots and not many folk want to join.

Harry

donpizmeov
8th May 2014, 10:21
Pay review was emailed on the 15th May last year.

The Don

Mach_Krit
8th May 2014, 10:28
such a big fuss about 3 weeks?? bollocks. expect the same for pay review and any allowance increase.

fringhtok
8th May 2014, 10:31
Is the 3 weeks report coming from people that actually went to EGHQ? I haven't received an email. Will be interesting to hear the reasoning behind a bonus when we (allegedly) didn't make the stated target.

HarryDunne
8th May 2014, 10:46
The figures are staggering. The increase in profit alone is incredible.

If you fail to look after your staff when the times are good, you cannot expect them to look after you when the times are bad.

Mach_Krit
8th May 2014, 10:49
looks like the rest are happy on group world:ugh::ugh::ugh:

Alconguin Crusader
8th May 2014, 10:56
The 3rd Worlders are happy.
Very sad when such a tiny amount triggers such euphoria.

sheiken around
8th May 2014, 11:00
What a disgrace....the minions are falling over themselves in glee for the crumbs tossed over the balcony....

Shameful situation...out go the resumes !!

harry the cod
8th May 2014, 11:05
FFS stop whining! For all of the last financial year I've flown and spoke with nobody that expected profit share this year. Nobody. Now the Company announces 3 weeks and people start whining and complaining that it's an insult and will hardly attract new joiners.

Guys, take it for what it is, a 3 week extra pay packet to pay off some cards, buy a new sofa or spend a bloody good week away with the family. The days of 12-14 weeks profit share are well gone. What we need is a decent pay rise of at least 3% in addition to the 3% increment. The latter should never be considered part of a pay rise, just ask those sat at the top of the salary scales and ask them how half a % has worked for the last 3 years! What we need are lifestyle changes. Reduce the hours. Give genuine credit for non payable duties such as CRM, SEP and Simulator during roster builds to avoid 100 hour plus months. Have enough pilots to allow 42 days leave, stop fudging FTL's to allow 3 crew ULR's and expect 22 hour duties, stop asking us to brief cabin crew 83 minutes before our official report time. Start providing enough doctors and dentists, decent housing and decent housing allowance and education allowance to reflect an expanding Company and an expensive City. The every day stuff is what's important.

People don't just vote with their feet, they vote with their attitude at work. They stop caring. 3 weeks is 3 weeks more than I expected. I'll take it as a thank you for my hard work and nothing more. Next month will be the time to really consider whinging or not!

Harry

stev
8th May 2014, 11:07
complete joke...3 weeks ha!! It'd be funny if it wasn't such a load of :mad: Yup the old CV has been dusted off and e-mails sent out.....grass just got an awful lot greener.

And yes its a joke the excitement of the :ugh: on groupworld

Trader
8th May 2014, 11:08
EXACTLY Harry!!!!!

Thank you EK for the bonus...it really is appreciated!

From a fly ops point of view though there have to be some changes.

helen-damnation
8th May 2014, 11:10
Less than we deserve but better in my pocket than Abu Dhabi's :hmm:

I'm with you Harry :O

ekwhistleblower
8th May 2014, 11:19
The Profit Share runs to about 2% of the total profit in my quick calculations. Did they take the owners dividend after announcing the profit or was that deducted beforehand to control the pay out?

lospilotos
8th May 2014, 11:31
I'm with Harry on this one!

BANANASBANANAS
8th May 2014, 11:39
I agree with you so far Harry the Cod but the acid test will be on the long list of other factors you so eloquently detailed - beginning, of course, with the pay rise. If EK properly address all of those issues, and quickly, then happy days. But some issues they cant address and some they just don't seem to want to.

Let's wait and see. As the Americans say at the big game 'The ball is in the air'

cerbus
8th May 2014, 11:42
Why so many pilots defending the company? Stockholm Syndrome has definitely taken EK pilots.
You weren't expecting anything? Why the hell not? You deserve it and earned it! It is only because of the theft of our Bonus the last 3 years that you have the attitude you do. Wake up!

BobDole
8th May 2014, 11:43
Vince Carter at the Buzzer... (vs. Philly) in 2001 playoffs - YouTube

thehonourablefong
8th May 2014, 11:49
Absolutely agree with Harry...and as someone told me, Ek have absolutely no problem hiring and retaining baggage handlers, tug drivers, cleaners and all the other staff who make up the largest % of our staff count.

Therefore, giving a profit share to keep them here makes little sense...whereas a targeted pay rise for those staff groups where problems in recruitment/retention are being noticed makes great sense.

Hence the new PS target, which seems a little steep when they've already given their revenue loss estimate for the runway closure...

As for them needing to give a big pay increase...I've been here less than 2 years, but have only moved up around 250 places in that time, and less than 10 in the last 2 months. Courses look to have been pretty thin up to April but last month there were the fat end of 40 guys joining the list. And if they are really are having problems, won't they just open up to non Boing/Airlimo guys?

Think we'll get something, not sure it'll fuel that Lambo I bought in anticipation of the PS though...

gl69
8th May 2014, 12:21
It has been so long since EK has paid its Bonus does anyone remember the formula on how to figure out how much we will be getting?
I know we only get 5 days times 3 weeks but there is an exact formula.
Thanks

donpizmeov
8th May 2014, 12:25
Basic monthly salary multiplied by 12, divide the answer by 52. Multiple that answer by 3.

scandistralian
8th May 2014, 12:30
When do we get notified of the pay review? Surely it's complete given they have completed the 2014-2015 budget

JAYTO
8th May 2014, 13:07
Does anyone else find it strange that we did not actually meet the profit target yet still received profit share.
I still have last years results email and it clearly states a target for 2013/14 to be higher than todays actual announced result.
Is this a new precedence.

J

Panther 88
8th May 2014, 13:33
JAYTO, when the official email or whatever is published (maybe it has already, just haven't seen it yet) see what they call it. A profit share or bonus. If PS, and we didn't make the "target", that would be interesting. If called bonus, a new animal altogether.

JAYTO
8th May 2014, 13:37
this years email is in your inbox.

It clearly states the profit target was achieved and therefore a profit share of 3 weeks will be paid.

Interesting for sure.

J

fliion
8th May 2014, 13:45
I'll take the three weeks but as mentioned above the 'come to jeezuz' moment is the pay review.

As a reminder - here is breakdown (raise bonus) since May 2008:

May 2008
12% 14 weeks

May 2009
0% 0 (actually a decrease of between 15-17% due threshold > 78-92)

May 2010
6% 3 weeks

May 2011 (Edu support went 32>40/54>60 & housing went up, can't remember when)
8% 12 weeks

May 2012
3%

May 2013 (Edu support 40>42/60>63)
3.5%

May 2014
??? 3 weeks

If we factor the threshold pay collapse, it essentially wiped out everything from May 2009 to May 2012 (6+8+3=17)

So really since May of 2008 we have had a 6.5% pay raise. Our spending power has decreased - significantly. That is not fudging the numbers - it's fact.

They need to step up now and judging by rumblings from HR on roadshow turn-out they surely must know this.

f.

pilotrob23
8th May 2014, 15:07
And apparently from the Q and A today with TC, they have said there are people right behind you waiting on a job. Plenty of applicants, and if you don't like it, you can leave. I was not there, so second hand information, but I heard that is what was said. Ouch.

falconeasydriver
8th May 2014, 15:23
First things first, thanks EK for your generosity.

And apparently from the Q and A today with TC, they have said there are people right behind you waiting on a job. Plenty of applicants, and if you don't like it, you can leave. I was not there, so second hand information, but I heard that is what was said. Ouch.

Heard a similar description second hand, that being said, the only language understood on the top floors will be parked or delayed aircraft, and as for attrition, it will have to be a flood, rather than the steady trickle it appears to be right now. There appears to be more than enough candidates clambering to get on the blunderbus, I guess it helps if you want to escape the sub-continent and earn 3 times the salary.
I wonder if theres a replacement for TC lurking in Chennai...

emratty
8th May 2014, 15:32
It's always been the same there will always be people willing to take the place from someone that leaves. The only reason they will really sit up and take note is when Captains start leaving in large numbers but that is not happening with the attrition rate for skippers being very small.
Plenty of Easyjet and Ryanair pilots waiting in the wings to replace the F/O's that leave.

Outatowner
8th May 2014, 15:40
guys whining about 3 weeks will only serve to further distance us from the real and deliverable solutions that are required to recover the lost ground of the last few years

Scandi I'm not sure which lost ground you are referring to but if you mean the goodwill, trust, interest and motivation lost by large segments of the pilot group then you are too late as for many it is long gone and never coming back.

It has always been the case that the newer guys tend to be more likely to see the rose-tinted picture however some of the previously most stolid guys I know are now amongst the most jaded. Maybe you will go that way eventually too.

They made a calculation, as always, and determined the exact amount of crumbs to throw to the masses. Maybe the special tickets "uprising" made them realise they needed to do something but as has been pointed out, most are not jizzing their pants over three weeks.

It's a small spike on an otherwise downward trend and nowhere near enough to keep many of us living in an armpit region of the world a day beyond the next decent offer.

ramius315
8th May 2014, 16:15
Altogether boys & girls- sing the Emirates pilots' song........:}

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=StTqXEQ2l-Y

trimotor
9th May 2014, 03:00
Don't read it. I have. It's far-fetched rubbish.

allaru
9th May 2014, 04:36
The important thing is how much you are paid for the hours you do. This is also the cost basis which the airline uses to determins our productivity.

As a comparison A new join Capt at Et#$ad earns around 38450dhs/month or 42430dhs/month with allowanaces, for around 65hrs/month (777). If u pro rata this to EKs 92 a new capt at Et&$*d earns around 54400dhs/60200dhs/month compared to EK for the same amount of work.

This shows the significance of the fiddle that was done to EKs overtime. SIA would be somewhat similar with 777 guys doing around 50hrs (777) and around 60hrs (A380) These hours are factored in the pilots favour meaning they do alot less than that in reality. At EK also factor (duty not pay), but the otherway, ie in the companies favour. At 20Ksgd per month so u can do the math on that one.

Re bonunus SIA got close on 1.5 months on the back of a profit of 300M Sing..plus they get a 13th month regardless so a total of 2.5months or around 10weeks in EK talk.

Yes the numbers above are apporximations, and there is housing and blah blah but the bottom line is that EK pilots are being well and truly screwed.

Alconguin Crusader
9th May 2014, 04:59
I have always said that Emirates does not measure up when compared to other Widebody airlines and I am glad to see that other pilots are starting to realize this.
Not mention yet is Work Rules when factored in to the equation. When a pilot group has those in increases their QOL big time.
If you figure out my hourly wage I am paid the equivalent of a 737 Domestic FO.
Emirates has to do something and soon.

Shangaan
9th May 2014, 07:12
What we need to remember is that Emirates have grown to 75000 employees and the profit needs to be shared between us all. So yes the days of 12 weeks profit share is gone. Be happy with 3 weeks, in reality we should not have gotten anything as we did not make the target. Other airlines are suffering or even closing down. You work for a airline with a solid foundation, job security and a safe environment to raise your family. I'm happy with 3 weeks. It will pay for my holiday this summer. Thanks Emirates.

fatbus
9th May 2014, 07:47
AC , I would not count on EK doing anything, with that I gather there should be a large number voting with their feet, my guess is it won't happen.

cerbus
9th May 2014, 08:40
Shag with a attitude like yours and publicity stating your beliefs it is no wonder the company is laughing at us. Did you develop your views while paying for your Type Rating at Ryanair?
We are underpaid and have the highest work hours in the Industry and we have SCs going around saying EK is great. This is going to be the norm now with the company lowering the requirements to 2000 flying hours. We as pilots don't have a chance.

bogeydope
9th May 2014, 09:26
Shangaan

Read your emails! We did meet our target!!

As for job security, it's on the line every flight you do!

If you think this is a safe environment to raise a family, I pity where you're from!

Alconguin Crusader
9th May 2014, 10:33
Shangaan what the hell are you thinking? Do you really think that way?
Start acting and thinking like a pilot please.

DuneMentat
9th May 2014, 13:37
While I think it is too little and too late I will take everything they give!

Now when is this normally paid out?

Bindair Dundat
9th May 2014, 18:11
Shangaan,

Your three weeks should just be enough to cover your "special tickets" for the year. Wow, cost neutral for the airline. Those EK bean counters are some crafty folks aren't they? The airline loves you buddy!

HarryDunne
9th May 2014, 21:04
We'll receive it in this months pay. From my math we'll receive around 22000aed and FO's around 13000aed.

It's a cleverly tactic: make us believe there will be no bonus as the target wasn't reached, then give 3wks and incredibly we are happy. Don't forget that the company decide exactly how much of their huge turnover is profit, so there should be no surprise that it's come in at 4.1bn when the target was 4.2bn. They've gone from a situation where we should be receiving 8 to 10 weeks to one where the majority of the workforce is saying thank you for 3.

Harry

lospilotos
9th May 2014, 21:18
Check our numbers Harry. Even the most junior FO should be around 17-18.000.

springbok449
10th May 2014, 02:49
The big issue with this "bonus/profit share" is that is has distracted a lot of people from the real issue, the pay rise, that's what get/NEED every month as the cost of living in the UAE has become very expensive...
Let's see how generous they are with that...should be announced soon...

trimotor
10th May 2014, 03:37
Without suggesting I'm in one camp or the other, a bunch of you are nay-saying ner-do-wells who won't be happy with anything less than lowest industry standard work effort and highest pay. Sorry, but EK has proved they are market leaders in many respects and redefining the workforce pay and conditions is one of them. Are they winding the clock back? yes, it seems. No-one is forcing you to stay.

Further, it is deplorable that someone should stick his/her head above the parapet and actually be denigrated for saying they are happy with their lot. What was the quote? "start thinking like a pilot..'? Poor attitude - the loser that said that does nothing for the pilot image to management -the quote should/could have better been along the lines of 'start thinking like an indentured worker, etc'. All it did was equate pilot to whiner in the observer's eyes.

If you losers think you don't deserve your 3 weeks, why not just hand it back? Bet you won't though..

Yes, pay review is well overdue and we're all waiting to see.

Bindair Dundat
10th May 2014, 04:07
Market leader? That's bold. EK benefits from the most enviable geography on the planet and an over flowing supply of cheap, non-unionized labour. Hats off to the trailblazers that figured it all out many years ago. The terms and living conditions have been slowly and painfully eroding to cope with the insane growth trajectory of the airline. If you're ok to see your standard of living go down the drain to support this market leader than perhaps you need to re-check what your value really is? Its assanine to suggest that EK pilots will only be happy once they work the least and earn the most. In real terms you guys are paid crap for the conditions and hours you put in. As mentioned, the bonus is just smoke and mirrors the real issue is hourly wage per hours worked....The package, quite simply,has not kept pace with the cost of living. Three weeks does nothing to address this.

HarryDunne
10th May 2014, 06:20
Lospilotos - a junior FO will be on about 25000aed? We receive 5 days per week as a profit share, here's my workings-

25000x12 = 300000/yr
300000/52 = 5770/wk
5770/7 = 824/day
824x5 = 4121 for 5 days
5 days x 3wk bonus = 12360aed

Happy to be corrected if wrong though.

Harry

Mister Warning
10th May 2014, 06:23
Harry - you hereby stand corrected.
It is a 7 day week for the calculation, not 5.

springbok449
10th May 2014, 06:33
For sure the 3 weeks were unexpected and we will take it, but it's no more than everyone not just the pilots and crew deserves after the hours we all put in...
However as mentioned before if you count the hours we put in especially some of the "free ones" we are well below market rate and not up to industry leaders standards, a pay review is definitely well overdue compared to the cost of living etc...
Yes one can always leave but that's not always an option or the best option this however does not mean that we should be underpaid....

LHR Rain
10th May 2014, 06:50
Although a lot of pilots are leaving especially when looking at the last few years many more need to leave to make the people that screw us take notice.
I know a lot of pilots have their applications in to other airlines but no one thinks many SA or Canadians will be leaving anytime soon.

lospilotos
10th May 2014, 07:25
Lospilotos - a junior FO will be on about 25000aed? We receive 5 days per week as a profit share, here's my workings-

25000x12 = 300000/yr
300000/52 = 5770/wk
5770/7 = 824/day
824x5 = 4121 for 5 days
5 days x 3wk bonus = 12360aed

Happy to be corrected if wrong though.

Harry

Yeah about 25-26.000 it is...

I was calculating basic salary x 12 months / 52 weeks x 3 weeks. It seems weird to get the daily salary based on 7 days a week and then only get paid for 5...

And by the way, the "Profit share" info on Groupworld says that it´s paid out in June. Haven´t been here long enough to get any before so if it´s paid in May, even better...

CaptainChipotle
10th May 2014, 09:12
Your current daily rate is on the portal under EOSB. Multiply by 21... Very easy.

Saltaire
10th May 2014, 10:29
I'll take the 3 weeks; no complaints. Pay review on the other hand, as always, will be more interesting. They really need to keep up with cost of living and inflation however, those of you thinking big pay raises will be disappointed. My guess is increment + 2% ( 5% total ). In years past the increment was never brought into focus and more or less assumed as part of the contract. Times a changin.

Profit share has always been the same: monthly X 12 / 52

It has nothing to do with a five day work week. Who came up with that beauty? We will all receive it in May along with the adjusted pay when announced. Place your bets! :)

HarryDunne
10th May 2014, 13:12
Thanks gents, I've never been so happy to be corrected!

Harry

halas
11th May 2014, 05:10
If l recall the last pay review was announced in May and was paid in June with no back date.

halas

donpizmeov
11th May 2014, 06:23
Halas,

Announces 15th May. And was in May pay last year. Bonus and payreview has always been paid in May since I have been here.

The don

Praise Jebus
11th May 2014, 10:09
largess also largesse (lär-zhĕs′, -jĕs′, lär′jĕs′)
n.
a. Liberality in bestowing gifts, especially in a lofty or condescending manner.
b. Money or gifts bestowed.

Outatowner
13th May 2014, 09:34
Post of the month, Jebus, post of the month. Spot on.

:ok:

If only others could figure it out.