PDA

View Full Version : Belgian airspace

saq246
13th Mar 2014, 10:37
Hi everyone,
I'm looking at flying from East Anglia to Luxembourg routing across the North Sea from Clacton VOR to Costa VOR and then pretty well in a straight line to ELLX. It seems that pretty well no matter what route I take, there is a mass of Danger Areas in Belgium which are unavoidable (e.g. EBD26 and EBD29). Has anyone got experience of flying through Belgian airspace and can anyone advise as to how active these areas are and how helpful ATC is with negotiating a path through them?
Thanks.
Sean

sycamore
13th Mar 2014, 10:48
Weekend is best; all drinking beer,eating chips and chokky...

Jan Olieslagers
13th Mar 2014, 11:01
Most (but not all!) of the danger areas are of a military nature, and only activated per Notam. For example, this very morning EBD06 was active - a gunnery training area.
You can check the NOTAM's, and also the AIP that describes the EBD, EBP &c at Belgocontrol - Air Traffic Safety: Our Mission (http://www.belgocontrol.be). Also, there is a fine map of today's active NOTAM's at
Navigational Warnings Interactive Chart (http://www.belgocontrol.be/website/warningsChartGeo.do?cmd=whtmlcharttoday)

The simplest of all however is to fly higher than 4500 AMSL, you will then be in controlled airspace so you will have a controller who will willingly tell you. Strictly speaking you can do this in uncontrolled airspace too, but Brussels Information is sometimes quite busy.

Jan Olieslagers
13th Mar 2014, 11:03
@sycamore: weekend is indeed better, because there is very little military activity. But that changes little to the beer flow rate.

saq246
13th Mar 2014, 11:11
That's very useful, thanks.

Unfortunately, weekend is not an option as my business partners are strictly weekday only!

Jan Olieslagers
13th Mar 2014, 11:49
I just checked, both EBD26 and EBD29 are training areas for our F16 interceptors. Both are active per NOTAM only, and both are limited to 4500 AMSL.

I can't speak from experience, as my craft is not allowed in controlled airspace, but I think one does not negotiate routing with ATC. One plans the flight, and files accordingly, and if they don't like what you are doing they will tell you. Better to plane carefully, though.

Stay well away from EBFS Florennes, it is one of our two bases for stand-by interceptors. They are only scrambled a few times in most years, though, or even not at all.

And be aware of the possible activation of some class G airspace above 4500 AMSL, but this is done for the benefit of gliders and will rarely happen midweek, except during holiday periods like July-August.

thing
13th Mar 2014, 13:22
Been once to Oostende and Oostende radar just took me through all of the naughty bits. Wasn't a problem and they were very helpful.

Jan Olieslagers
13th Mar 2014, 18:51
Yes. Simply fly in controlled airspace, the controllers are there to help you and they know and they will. They have very good English, too. But do prepare your flight thoroughly, you don't want to come across as a fool.