PDA

View Full Version : FAA 61.75 Certificate Revalidation

worldpilot
10th Mar 2014, 17:11
I've converted my JAR PPL licencse to the Part-FCL EASA licence and my understanding is that my FAA licence which was issued on the basis of my JAR PPL Licence is no more valid and must be revalidated again.

Apparently this validation process can now be done by the CAA and requires a physical appearance at the CAA office in the UK. :ugh:

Has anyone completed this process using Form SRG2110???:confused:

What challenges, if any, are associated with this process?:eek:

An alternative is to start the whole process of getting the FAA licence issued again based on the EASA licence.:{

Any inputs are appreciated.

WP

Duo802
10th Mar 2014, 18:40
Having just gone through this process myself, the procedure is:

Firstly, you need to apply to the UK CAA for a licence validation, and this is just a case of filling in a form that you can download from the CAA website. Send it off to them with a fee of £44 and they will then send confirmation to the FAA when requested. There's no requirement to make a personal visit to their office.

At the same time, you need to send or fax a 'Verification of Foreign Licence' form to the FAA. Details can be found on the FAA website. They say to allow up to 90 days for the verification to be issued, but mine only took about 3 weeks.

Once you have the verification from the FAA ( I got an email and then this was followed up with a verification letter in the post), you need to arrange an appointment at any Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) in the US and bring along your licence, medical certificate, passport and verification letter. If everything's OK, they will issue a Temporary Airman Certificate there and then, and at no cost! This will give you full privileges while you wait for the full certificate, which I believe is now a plastic card, to be sent to you in the post in due course.

All in all, it wasn't that complicated but I did grudge parting with 44 quid to the CAA.

Ian

minuteman
10th Mar 2014, 18:48
Lots of good info in this thread...

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/518206-good-news-61-75-holders.html

Specifically to deal with this issue...!

DLT1939
10th Mar 2014, 18:52
If your FAA 61.75 certificate is based on your JAA PPL then it became invalid when you converted to an EASA PPL as the prefix to the licence number changed and the FAA certificate must be reissued.

Provided your EASA licence was issued by the UK CAA, they can confirm its validity to the FAA without you having to visit the USA or see a FAA DPE in Europe. However a visit to Gatwick is required, taking with you completed Form SRG 2110, your FAA certificate, passport and evidence confirming your address (utility bill or similar).

Details here:

Verify a Renumbered Pilot licence | Our Role | About the CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=2345&pagetype=65&appid=54&mode=detail&appproc=70)

I visited Gatwick on 8 Jan. they processed my application on Feb 11 and I am still waiting for the new FAA certificate. I believe processing times are now shorter, as are the waiting times at Gatwick.

This avoids the necessity to visit the USA described in Duo802's post, but you can follow the procedure he describes if you wish.

Maoraigh1
10th Mar 2014, 21:51
Very inconvenient for me to visit the desk at Gatwick from Moray. I find this a shocking attitude if the Government want to keep a "United Kingdom".

worldpilot
10th Mar 2014, 22:15
Well, that means flying from Munich to Gatwick and back which is at least cheaper than crossing the Atlantic to the US.

According to the CAA scheme of charges, it looks like the required fee amounts to £44.

Thanks for your inputs.

WP

DaveW
10th Mar 2014, 22:29
It's nowhere near as inconvenient as having to fly to the USA to do this, which is what would be required, and was until a few months ago, until the CAA negotiated with the FAA to make this easier for us.

Not something to be shocked about. It has absolutely nothing to do with Government policy or Devomax!

DLT1939
10th Mar 2014, 23:19
....and was until a few months ago, until the CAA negotiated with the FAA to make this easier for us.

Actually, it was the other way around. In the middle of last year the FAA wrote to EASA publishing the process by which they would reissue certificates rendered invalid by renumbering. EASA eventually passed this on to their NAA's and the CAA adopted it at the turn of the year.

DaveW
10th Mar 2014, 23:51
In that case, good ol' FAA. They absolutely didn't have to do that. :) The other point still stands, though.