PDA

View Full Version : Reunion Planned for First RAF Tucano Course

Bert Angel
5th Mar 2014, 19:49
I'm planning a reunion for 42 Course, Church Fenton, this September to coincide with the 25th Anniversary of our starting our BFT course. It's in the early stages but Linton-on-Ouse is interested in hosting an event as the Tucano is likely to make way shortly for whatever Ascent will be using for MFTS. Date around 12 September.

I'm in contact with Simon & Dai, currently trying to trace Mike, Nige & Daz. If you see this or anyone else who can reach them could help out, please PM me for more details.

Roadster280
5th Mar 2014, 20:19
Wow. I'm not a pilot, not even RAF, but I remember the hullabaloo when the JP went and the Tucano came in. And now you boys have 25 years in, and the Tucano itself is on its way out.

I feel old. But not as old as some :E

jayteeto
6th Mar 2014, 07:25
Bloody hell, I still talk about the Tucano as the "new" trainer. Years after my JP5 course, I managed to blag an hour SCT from Linton. What a lovely aircraft it was, compared to the Soviet agricultural lines of the JP.

Bert Angel
8th Mar 2014, 22:15
Never had a ride in the JP, wish I had in a 'vintage ac interest' way, but you're correct, the Tucano was/is a great ac, nice to fly (although the pedals weren't very 'jet like'), performance similar to a Mk II Spitfire, but not as well built.

pontifex
10th Mar 2014, 17:25
The Tucano was a nice, elegant aircraft but not a patch on the PC9. It would have easily outflown the Mk11 Spit and, indeed, easily outflew the Mk4/5 JP except in top speed in a dive. In short, we bought the wrong one. Politics again.

CoffmanStarter
10th Mar 2014, 18:03
Come on Pontifex old chap ... Let's have some pics :ok: