PDA

View Full Version : EK - Meydan Heights preview, get ready

Pages : [1] 2

GoByNumbers
22nd Feb 2014, 02:07
Came across this video of testing AC and water pumps in our new villas...

LIVE DEMONSTRATION MEP EQUIPMENT IN MEYDAN HEIGHT VILLAS FACE A - YouTube

Don´t put too much effort into your current villa and start asking your Facilities manager for your moving date...

lospilotos
22nd Feb 2014, 11:46
I especially like the guy demonstrating the A/C in the maid´s room at 12:16. He says it has the highest energy efficiency rating, but it´s clearly marked with 2 out of 5...

Outatowner
22nd Feb 2014, 12:30
Not sure I can see the point of demonstrating how cold the A/C can go on a video.

GBN are you researching your next likely homestead or just really bored?

The Outlaw
15th Mar 2014, 22:56
Heard that the guys in NCC are getting turfed out and sent to purgatory city. As leases expire they'll send everyone out there.

Couldn't imagine living shoulder to shoulder with 500 people you work with. Im putting money on a lot of folks getting clinically depressed, and thats just the pilots. No birds, no plants, no green...just dust and heavy diesel machinery and high voltage lines to look at...yep paradise.

New joiners....Insist on being shown this "utopia" because this is where new hires will be housed.

Think hard....

Saltaire
16th Mar 2014, 03:30
I'm not disagreeing with your concerns; it could be terrible. However, we all thought Silicon oasis was awful, with no greenery, miles out in the desert etc etc... and that was the original semmer. Is that purgatory? Just sayin....

The Outlaw
16th Mar 2014, 05:48
A stand alone villa with a large garden does not compare to a row house with no garden living under a power line.

I saw the DSO villa's when they where first handed over and rather liked them but we were happy where we were. Don't worry though, even the DSO group will be moving to "the projects" in time since EK don't have a long term deal with them any more. I have heard those villa's rent for 250K in the market....time is ticking...the company is in the process of building and additional 1000 units that will be ready in less than a year.

Sounds like you haven't seen it yet but you will.

Payscale
16th Mar 2014, 07:59
How many of these town houses are ready now?

The Outlaw
16th Mar 2014, 09:20
300 are ready now, with power water and sewer. The rest are ready by summer. Total 528.

General Dogsbody
16th Mar 2014, 11:46
For New Joiners who are still "enticed" by the Package on offer, a close look at Meydan Heights is essential. I think the Lines of white terraced houses might be a deal breaker, there is no comparison to either development in DSO. The houses are smaller, with a far higher housing density and no gardens or green spaces. Its depressing to think our employer thinks this is the Future..

777X
16th Mar 2014, 12:14
Couldn't imagine living shoulder to shoulder with 500 people you work with. No birds, no plants, no green

I guess as an FO, getting put in a 100% comp. accommodation tower block such as millenium, this would be the reality for 7-10 years. A never ending crew layover. The option to opt out is a deal breaker, but is it still a viable option with rent raises in UAE.

falconeasydriver
16th Mar 2014, 12:55
The old bread knife thought initially they looked quite nice, but on closer inspection she was mortified, it hastened her departure with the kids back to a cooler and slightly damper climate.

White Knight
16th Mar 2014, 17:46
300 are ready now, with power water and sewer. The rest are ready by summer. Total 528.

Funny that... Heard an HR bod say (today) that none of the villas are ready 'cos DEWA haven't put in water pipes yet! The testing you see here probably powered by local gennie units...

And two months ago when I took a look out there I'm fairly sure that only about 20 units looked to be anywhere near finished!

JAARule
16th Mar 2014, 19:04
This HR bod, were his/her lips moving??

Why not spare yourselves the trouble and buy your own place. No evictions and no pilots wives hanging around watching your moves. :)

The Outlaw
17th Mar 2014, 02:52
WK,

Just relaying what the project foreman told me last week. From what I saw (last week) they are ready. Careful about what HR tells you, they just want you to go away.

They are trying to get a short term lease extensions in some cases but the end result is that they WILL move staff there because its cheaper for them.

ektrazz
27th Mar 2014, 06:25
Those are not really Villas , they are more like town houses. Very or no Gardens and on top of each other.Zero privacy !

Under the high tension power lines are not that great either to be honest !.

Silicon was one thing years ago , Proper free standing villas with huge gardens so even if it was far out , it was nice,

This reminds me of these goverment housing , leaving your home where ever you come from to cram into this , well think twice

This will make everyone more depressed !

Good luck moving out there !

harry the cod
27th Mar 2014, 09:13
Fellow aviators.

Please, please, please do some research regarding overhead high voltage power lines. In most European countries it's now forbidden to build within a certain distance of them. It would be worth getting together on this and maybe getting independent advice. I've not been up there so don't know the location. It would be worth checking before accepting.

Please don't put yourself in a situation where god forbid you look back on this and say 'if only'. Your families health cannot be replaced. Once you accept and move in, it will be practically impossible to move out. Do you really think those smiling girls in accommodation will care. Look at the Countries they come from and decide how much life is valued there!

Do you think the VP's and above will move out there?

Harry

The Outlaw
27th Mar 2014, 21:44
FL3

Nice one....1 post....so who are you really?

The power lines are there despite what the all mighty "google earth" tells you, all you need do is trust the people who post here who have seen it with THEIR OWN EYES...the power lines are there...if you still believe the all mighty google earth then do please come here to see for yourself.....

The post from above actually carries some credit....

Old King Coal
27th Mar 2014, 22:20
FYI... http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-info/healthyliving/cancercontroversies/powerlines/ (http://preview.tinyurl.com/pbyxn4s)

sarge75
31st Mar 2014, 05:45
You have been told

TheDarkHorse
31st Mar 2014, 07:16
Having just looked on Maps with the co-ords, these are villas? Looks like a bunch of factories to me :(

The Outlaw
31st Mar 2014, 08:01
Finally....somebody has seen the light....

BTW concentration camp is more appropriate description.

Jet II
31st Mar 2014, 08:43
?????? - I thought I just posted some pictures of the site but they seem to have disappeared

Is EK becoming like the Airline who shall remain nameless? :uhoh:

The Outlaw
31st Mar 2014, 12:14
Around here you'll never know.

Its possible they don't want the truth getting out. They will probably still show interviewees a nice villa in Jumeriah then dump them into the "camp" when they arrive.

TIP: Don't surrender your passport until you are happy with your accommodation and type of aircraft.

Big Buddha
31st Mar 2014, 12:45
You have to wonder about the planning laws putting all these homes under power lines.

From what I see this will also occur with the new "city" in front of Meydan, between it and Business Bay.

And these are going to luxury homes according to the signs.

How do you spell leukaemia?

Jet II
31st Mar 2014, 14:14
The villas are not under the power lines - the power lines run along the road at the front of the development and the closest villas are about 75 meters away. I must admit that the look of them is not that great at the moment but hopefully when some landscaping is done..

As I am not allowed to post pictures here I have stuck them on another site - hopefully this post will not be deleted by the mods..:{

Pics (http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=112743944&postcount=5)

airbusgirl66
31st Mar 2014, 15:19
Wow! First pics I've seen of the Meydan villas. :yuk: Very sad to say the least!

ummnour
31st Mar 2014, 17:20
Meydan Heights - YouTube (http://youtu.be/Zny7Sp-m3os)

Mr Good Cat
31st Mar 2014, 18:26
Jeez, doesn't look good does it :(

Reminds me a bit of the labour camps outside Al Quoz.

The Outlaw
31st Mar 2014, 19:15
That should give you some idea of how management views its workforce....

Mrs Mangels
31st Mar 2014, 21:31
No one's asking the important questions!!
i.e., Can I hang my washing out the windows??
How often does the Tata/ Leyland bus roll through to EGHQ??
How much does a gardener cost, because I'm going to save that much a month?
How much does a divorce cost in the UAE??
:}:}:}

ruserious
31st Mar 2014, 21:35
Labour Camp 101 for sure

sarge75
31st Mar 2014, 23:51
Thanks for posting the pics.

Forces us to take a grain of salt WRT some posters considering it's not exactly 'living under power lines' as claimed here.

The Outlaw
1st Apr 2014, 03:08
Sarge,

I'll assume that little tidbit was aimed at me. Lets take things with a modicum of thought and perspective. First of all, you can't build anything directly under any power line (in case it falls, if you didn't happen to know).

It is the health effects that one can suffer when living in close proximity which are brought in question here so please excuse me if this was not made clear.

If you like the location then please, by all means move out there and convince any friends you have at EK (if any) to do the same. Its a great place to be if you don't like a garden, enjoy 50 cycle hum and strong electromagnetic fields (as a bonus maybe a little cancer), like to live with everyone you work with etc etc....heck maybe the wife will find a new "hobby" while you're away in order to ease her boredom...lots of benefits to be sure!

This is the place for you Sarge....I can't recommend it enough!

sarge75
1st Apr 2014, 04:10
There is a difference in saying it's right next to power lines as opposed to saying it's under powerlines.

I am not defending the place in any way, I have no idea not opinion about it as things stand, but I do think little things tell us a lot, and no offence but by describing the powerlines as overhead means your credibility drops in my eyes as this is all I have to go off and the facts are misrepresented.

As for the powerlines, would I move my family into a place next to high voltage powerlines? Hell no.

Would I live in a community full of pilots? Not on your life.

lospilotos
1st Apr 2014, 04:48
The magnetic field reduces exponentially with distance. At around 200 m from a 400kV line you should be around 0.1 microtesla which is equivalent to what you would be exposed to in a normal city apartment. I´d say I´d want at least 300 meters between my family and those lines to feel completely safe.

Jet II
1st Apr 2014, 07:01
That should give you some idea of how management views its workforce....

I make no comment but just leave this here.

"Saeed Humaid Al Tayer, Chairman of the Board and CEO of Meydan said: “This is a landmark development not only because it will be a built-to-specifications project by Meydan Group in collaboration with Emirates Airline, but because it also allows us to showcase our continued commitment to developing projects which set the benchmark for exceptional design and build-quality.

"Emirates Airline is not only a global leader in its industry, but a company that is renowned for having a strong focus on employee welfare. Meydan Heights aims to be the blueprint development for providing the airline with quality housing which will meet the exacting standards by which the airline is known for.""

The Outlaw
1st Apr 2014, 08:04
Yes..it supports what I said.

You just need to view it from that point of view.

"“This is a landmark development"...yes, its made a mark on the land.

"built-to-specifications"...yes, it is...so was a Lada.

"exceptional design and build-quality"...

"exceptional" |ikˈsepSHənəl|
adjective
unusual; not typical: crimes of exceptional callousness and cruelty.

"welfare"... self explanatory

Meydan Heights aims to be the blueprint development for providing the airline with quality housing which will meet the exacting standards by which the airline is known for.""..says it all really.

I would postulate then, that given the statement above that it will be the new home of management as well? Now that will be something!

Jet II
1st Apr 2014, 14:48
more pictures (http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=112784372&postcount=6)

BigGeordie
1st Apr 2014, 15:13
Thanks for the pictures JetII. Is the fence to keep people in or out?

The Outlaw
1st Apr 2014, 17:53
It has just begun...employees are getting their "get out" letters now.

Who's going to be next...

helen-damnation
1st Apr 2014, 19:05
"get out" from where?

The Outlaw
1st Apr 2014, 19:37
Helen,

From their current places of company accommodation.

You are aware that Meydan is for EK pilots. The company has now begun the process of evicting pilots from Jumeriah to camps in Meydan.

Its going to get interesting over the next few months in this thread.

ummnour
2nd Apr 2014, 05:18
Outlaw, i am new to this forum although my husband has been with EK for 5 years (probably because he is not flying, i joined just to follow this thread) We are in Jumeirah 3. No news yet for us, wonder if Meydan Heights is specifically for pilots?

Mr Good Cat
2nd Apr 2014, 05:22
So far, the 'rumours' are:

All Jumeirah based villas to be evicted, along with Silicon Oasis and the all the Sheikh Ahmed owned villas in Safa. Also the Wasl Sq villas owned by Meraas.

In reality that's got to be at least 700-800 villas. There will only be 528 Meydan villas in the next few years and those will also be for new joiners.

So therefore unless EK can suddenly find a whole vacant estate to fill with all these evictees then I doubt EVERYONE will be kicked out. Naturally those in the smaller more expensive housing plots of 7-8 villas down in Satwa and Suqueim may be at a slightly higher risk as they are owned by private landlords and not the royal family.

Of course the relocation and housing shortage problem could easily be solved by combining 2-3 families in one 3-bed villa... The first one to suggest this to the accommodation department gets a Najm award and a mention in Safar magazine. For your own safety your face will be pixelated out on the picture.

myekppa
2nd Apr 2014, 10:44
Anyone received or know of an eviction notice, if so which villas?

The Outlaw
2nd Apr 2014, 12:27
Good cat,

You will eat those word and soon!

and yes...its begun

FJCruiser
2nd Apr 2014, 14:06
There are many Sh. Ahmed Villas in Safa so rumours that eviction have started are just rumours.Some of these villas have a mix of EK and non EK residents. Some are exclusively occupied by EK non pilot staff.

The Outlaw
2nd Apr 2014, 14:10
FJ,
You are obviously comfortable with your head in the sand, if this gives you some comfort in denial then by all means keep it there.

There are no rumors anymore...it has begun. I have my notice.

ummnour
2nd Apr 2014, 14:27
Outlaw, How soon do you have to move?

Orangewing
2nd Apr 2014, 14:30
I hear about 40 or so we're given their notice at Sh. Hamdan villas, in umm suqeim a few days ago.....

FJCruiser
2nd Apr 2014, 14:36
Not burying my head in the sand, nor saying that letters have not gone out. Just saying that not all Sh.Ahmed Villas may be affected by this as they are not all occupied by pilots. Some are occupied by other staff. From what I read above, Meydan Heights is for pilots so pilots living in Sh.Ahmed Villas may be affected. Correct me if I read wrong.

myekppa
2nd Apr 2014, 18:10
How much notice outlaw?

Flap1 Retard
2nd Apr 2014, 19:17
"Eviction" notice was received and states (short ver) that we must be out by beginning of June. What wonderful timing by EK :D!! My wife is :mad:, my kids are:mad::{:=:* so another happy day thanks to EK.

It has been less than month since the wash-up where we were told very confidently by HR that evictions were just a rumour and "No no, all was well." Friends in Umm Seq. also received their letter.. so guess we're the first to be led up the housing path by more EK "false facts".

We went to see what the new villas look like only to find a house which is almost half the size of what we have now. There is NO garden (there is a small walled area which is not even the size of the car). The proximity to the houses around are minimal, if any and by what we found out today, looks as if we'll be on a building site for the next 18 months! I'm sure EK will brush it off as "pilots moaning" but how about we reverse the positions... would they not say a word?

Curiously, the "Good Will" & "Extra Effort" that EK are looking for from the start of May is going to come from where?? Is it from the crews who are having to calm family, sort moving, fly harder, consider decreasing finances, fight for A/L, or the crews, with golden handcuffs realising it really is time to start looking for another job?:hmm:

ByeByeDubai
2nd Apr 2014, 19:31
Once the majority are all corralled in a few condensed locations, the bus services will start.

"Catch your bus conveniently leaving every 30 minutes to and from work. Dont be late! Even if it breaks down or is delayed in traffic, you are responsible. Any check in beyond briefing commencement time will be denied and you will be marked absent and pay deducted.

For those of you who are not in company accommodation, transport will no longer be provided as the majority are catching buses and we would not like to be seen to be giving unfair advantage over your colleagues. You will now have to find your own transport. Parking is your responsibility. If you use EGHQ you will have to pay. If there is no parking then get a taxi. To refund you for this the company has generously decided to give you Dhs 200 per month as we have worked out this is more than sufficient to cover costs.

Our management worked hard to avoid these measures (TCAS fought valiantly for the pilots) but it is our responsibility to make sure the company remains profitable for the good of all.

We live in difficult times... the oil price... go the extra mile...Don't believe the doom and gloom about inflation....Hello Tomorrow..."

helen-damnation
2nd Apr 2014, 20:15
The Outlaw,

Yup, I knew that thanks. I meant which specific compounds had been given notice? I've heard the Hamdans as stated above.

HD

TheDarkHorse
2nd Apr 2014, 20:16
BBD you've been working here too long, even able to recreate the emails that are written for them but by them :ok:;)

ChillinInTheDesert
3rd Apr 2014, 03:46
Mr Good Cat posted somewhere in this thread that Meydan will have 528 villas. I drove out there the other day and there is easily more than 528 villas. I had heard approx 1000 villas so I wanted to see for myself. It looks like it could come very close to 1000 villas. I could be just imagining it though, so interested to hear what everyone else who has recently visited the area thinks.

Is it too much to ask if we could please get an idea of precisely which compounds, so far, have had the eviction notice?

Thanks all.

The Outlaw
3rd Apr 2014, 04:18
I have heard that Hamdan, NCC, and another group in Jumeriah (not sure of the name).

All very senior captains.

3 months notice

aussiefarmer
3rd Apr 2014, 05:01
wow, this is a reality. I thought it wasn't that inminent. Thanks for posting the pics, it looks indeed like a concentration camp.

I'm wondering when and if we are going to get any good news from EK at some point, it seems like it's only very bad news lately.

Laughed a lot with the quote of "employee welfare". What are these ppl smoking?

Party is over at EK. The sooner we interiorize that, the happier our life's will be for the remainder of our (hopefully short) stay here in EK.

PS. I feel specially sorry for the very senior guys. This is what they get for over 10 maybe 20 years of service? They deserve to be treated better than that.

alwayzinit
3rd Apr 2014, 06:18
The China Southern road show at DOSC simply couldn't have been timed better really!!

VLS with ice
3rd Apr 2014, 06:55
Dutco Bujassim villas, 18 families out by end of June. 2 of the 18 are managers (SVP level) who got the same deal. Al of us 11 years in the company.
BTW, the company is very generous by giving us 2200aed :mad: to complete the move....oh and please have your walls repainted white before you leave or we'll have to deduct that from your salary. See you at China Southern roadshow this evening...

The Outlaw
3rd Apr 2014, 07:31
Problem is that if 175 pilots resign (5%) this year, they will still look at it as acceptable. I really hope everyone leaves here...me included. Looks like they have breached the hull.

Its probably too late...the compartments have systematically started to flood a long time ago.

Bad design and bad choices from the management of the "White Star Line".

In 30 years from now it'll all be an interesting read in the history books,

ChillinInTheDesert
3rd Apr 2014, 09:47
I wonder, after they have cleared out Jumeirah and surrounding villas, what other communities will be next - very interesting times ahead.

I am also reading on various other forum/groups that some new starters have been told they will be housed in DSO - shouldn't the long serving, senior staff from Jumeirah area compounds be given the choice to fill DSO villas before having to fill Meydan? Or is that a stupid question? :ugh:

Mr Good Cat
3rd Apr 2014, 13:36
Good cat,

You will eat those word and soon!

and yes...its begun

Mr Good Cat posted somewhere in this thread that Meydan will have 528 villas. I drove out there the other day and there is easily more than 528 villas. I had heard approx 1000 villas so I wanted to see for myself. It looks like it could come very close to 1000 villas. I could be just imagining it though, so interested to hear what everyone else who has recently visited the area thinks.

Is it too much to ask if we could please get an idea of precisely which compounds, so far, have had the eviction notice?

Thanks all.

Okay, look... it seems some of you are thinking I'm trying to play down what is going on which is absolutely NOT the case.

I live in fear of the letter coming just like every other EK Jumeirah resident. It WILL happen one day. This is because ultimately EK plans a lot more than 528 villas in the Meydan development. When the original news story broke in 2010 they were talking of an initial batch of 900, increasing over the years! I think in the future the plan will be to have have everyone central in pure EK complexes that EK will own on a 15-year lease-to-own basis. That is a few people's worst nightmare (me included) before we even START talking about power-lines etc.

However, here are the facts thus far:

(1) There are no more than 528 villas currently. How do I know? Check google earth satellite data - it's dated 2nd September 2013. Count the villas and you will see only circa 500 units.

(2) There are a lot more than 500 villas in Jumeirah/Suqueim/DIC. Add to this the rumours about Leyan Al Waha, Silicon Oasis and others and you need to relocate a good 1200+ families (just my guess).

(3) Some current small villa complexes are owned by private landlords, versus those bigger ones owned by Government/Royalty. It makes business sense for the private landlords to get the best rate they can, which will not be from EK.

(4) Eviction notices were sent to some Satwa residents long before the current batch (6 months ago?)

(5) There is no more building going on at Meydan Heights OUTSIDE the current 528 EK development. Check the 6 month old satellite data - it's just that small triangle and a load of untouched desert.

(6) Eventually, we will ALL be there in all likelihood.

(7) You have no control over what happens in EK or Dubai, so don't stress yourself over it. Accept it or start the escape plan.

Meydan Heights - Dubai (http://wikimapia.org/19108017/Meydan-Heights)

flydream1982
3rd Apr 2014, 13:39
Quick question: for those who don't want to move to Meydan, are you able to opt out of company accommodations,take the housing allowance and choose where you want to live?

Mr Good Cat
3rd Apr 2014, 13:50
Quick question: for those who don't want to move to Meydan, are you able to opt out of company accommodations,take the housing allowance and choose where you want to live?

Yes, of course.

But you'll have to add A LOT of your own money towards the rent and bills if you don't want to live in an apartment. Of course if your wife earns much more money than you (i.e. real estate etc) then you can put the allowance towards her salary and live it up.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend having your family in any apartment here. Get a villa.

ChillinInTheDesert
3rd Apr 2014, 13:56
Thanks Mr Good Cat, I thought there was easily more than 500 or so villas there.

I agree, I think the writing is on the wall.

myekppa
3rd Apr 2014, 14:11
DOSC meeting at 7 pm tonight on exit strategies.

givemewings
3rd Apr 2014, 19:59
Brace yourselves for 'Sarab Part II- the Flight Deck Edition' ... I wish I was joking but it looks even worse than that place... :{

radial090
4th Apr 2014, 01:35
Top 93 Complaints and Reviews about Rheem (http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/rheem.html)

Desert Driver
4th Apr 2014, 04:45
Sorry to hear the sad news of these relocations. I handed my company villa back several years ago and had the landlords maintenance company repaint and fix it up etc. total cost about 4000 dhs. My neighbour just handed it over to the company. He got a bill for nearly 10,000 dhs. It was the same maintenance people, the manager said he had invoiced the accommodation department 5000 dhs. They then re-invoiced with around 100% increase due to their administration cost.

DD

Sheikh Your Bootie
4th Apr 2014, 08:33
As it is a forced move out of your accommodation, the company will foot the bill for all moving costs, and do all redecorating. The 2200aed is an insult. During a mates forced move recently, from Huraiz Villas, they paid nothing to the company, and no one has yet.
Suggest pilots being forced to move, get in touch with fleet, as for once they were quite helpful apparently.
Looks like some maybe moving again :{:{:{ wtf.

SyB :zzz:

Payscale
4th Apr 2014, 09:41
How many square feet are these new town houses?

Mr Good Cat
4th Apr 2014, 11:28
Not sure, but they are the smallest EK villas I have seen so far, based on outside appearance... Looking at the satellite photos that back yard is about the size of small 4x4.

I'm not trying to be negative or moaning for the sake of it, but it now seems inevitable that this is the future for EK accommodation. Small, 3 bed villas in with no gardens in the desert for the whole staff community (SVPs not immune according to reports from the evicted).

I suppose they're bleeding so much money in the hold at DESDI and BUBIN that its inevitable they recoup some of the money through these low-cost lease to own schemes for staff accommodation.

Ah well, for new joiners it becomes the norm so they won't know any different to be fair.

:sad:

gastounet
4th Apr 2014, 12:20
Goodevening,

Villas (or town houses) are approx 250 sq.meters.
Downstairs : 50 sq.meters living room, kitchen plus maid's room.
Upstairs : 4 bedrooms with 4 bathrooms.
So not too bad. Very similar to Al Furjan Villas.
BUT, No garden, just a terrace, 8m by 3.5m, between 3 big walls.

Gastounet

ChillinInTheDesert
4th Apr 2014, 12:34
Wow, they must be SMALL bedrooms and bathrooms if there are 4!! When we looked at them (from outside) they are just so small and quite narrow. Looking at the facade, the width of the villa is only slightly wider than a double carport. I've not seen Al Furjan but have heard Meydan is smaller.

Mr Good Cat
4th Apr 2014, 13:01
Okay, bigger than it looks then.

Garden not too bad, except that it's seriously non-private.

ummnour
5th Apr 2014, 02:12
Hi Chillin',
I think 50sq metres is just the living area. Its impossible to squeeze all kitchen and maids room into that area. If it is, then its a studio apartment. Our current villa in Jumeirah looks quite narrow too, from the facade you can only see a 2 car garage and an entrance door on the side, pretty much similar to the ones in Meydan and it is an okay size for me and family.. just that we will miss the large pool and shared garden area behind our home. However, we have not received the eviction letter, yet.

ruserious
5th Apr 2014, 05:56
Drove out yesterday, look seriously small. Tried to bluff my way in to have a look and take some interior shots, but was not on the list.
There was around 50 names on the list, many very senior staff numbers, guess those must be from Hamdan.
Really not a very attractive place to live. The question begs, is this the kind of lifestyle a senior Capt with family and our income level would ever choose to live in, answer would have to be a firm NO.

Plane_Sailing
5th Apr 2014, 06:19
You have to admit its a win/win/win for the company. If the very senior/expensive captains move to the new so called villas then the company saves a lot of money. If they opt out, the company save a lot of money. If they quit, the company replaces them with cheaper captains and yes, saves a lot of money. I just hope the would be new joiners see how Emirates is racing to the bottom in the same way Ryanair did, one step at a time. With the occasional leap when they think they can get away with it.

BYMONEK
5th Apr 2014, 09:29
I'd be interested to know what villas will be shown by the HR recruiters to new joiners? Is the Company going to do the honest thing and show the guys what they'll actually end up in or will there be the usual tour of something nice and established to impress the wives?

Any newbies care to share over the next few weeks please?

Mr Good Cat
5th Apr 2014, 10:13
I'd be interested to know what villas will be shown by the HR recruiters to new joiners? Is the Company going to do the honest thing and show the guys what they'll actually end up in or will there be the usual tour of something nice and established to impress the wives?

Any newbies care to share over the next few weeks please?

To be honest BYMONEK, I don't think the recruitment dept. have ever tried to deliberately pull the wool over the eyes of new joiners. Accommodation dept. give them the keys to any vacant apartment and any vacant villa to show potential new joiners.

The places they showed me on my interview were frankly awful... A run-down 21st Century Tower bedsit, and a large but filthy and decrepit villa with NO garden whatsoever in Satwa.

All of us with offers still joined... mainly because we knew a lot about EK and many people already on the inside.

Airbets2040
5th Apr 2014, 10:54
New joiners are being shown Jebel Ali.

ChillinInTheDesert
5th Apr 2014, 11:36
I've been reading on other forums that some newcomers have been told they "may" be housed at Silicon, not sure if Silicon is what they were shown though.

ChillinInTheDesert
5th Apr 2014, 11:40
Thanks ummnour, I guess the size is deceiving from the outside. To be honest they are probably quite nice and modern inside - shame about the outside courtyard.

gastounet
5th Apr 2014, 14:37
More info regarding the bedrooms :
The master bedroom is 4.2 / 4.5 and the smallest one is 3.4 / 3.7m.

And the villa is 8m wide.

G.

Mr Good Cat
5th Apr 2014, 15:24
To be honest they are probably quite nice and modern inside

Highly doubtful.

They will be functional but basic, and the cheapest option available.

They are built only for Emirates therefore they don't need to look good or fancy.

What would you do if you had to maximise profits for your department when making decisions on staff housing?

The master bedroom is 4.2 / 4.5 and the smallest one is 3.4 / 3.7m

Gastounet, am I right in assuming they are all 4 bed villas? Or are some 3 bed? They all look identical on the plan view.

gastounet
5th Apr 2014, 15:50
Good cat,
Not sure about that ... But I think the villas are all the same - 4 bedrooms.

Saltaire
5th Apr 2014, 16:04
Appears to be all 4 bed. Interesting for those with young kids. The only bathtub is in the master. Other 3 bedrooms shower only. Typical cut-off kitchen, reasonable size but dark. Lounge is about 8X5 meters and shapes into an L. Those that move early will want an end unit which will have more light. Back garden is small with tall partitions for assumed privacy but have a very closed in feel. Little chance of grass with limited light. BBQ and table set.

Overall functional, ok fittings, but not very warm and more of a compound feel maximizing space available ( in the desert :hmm:) Should improve with greenery. Could be worse but time will time. Interesting to hear first hand about those that move-in…. good luck

BLOGGSON
6th Apr 2014, 00:55
I vacated a villa in Semmer last July, and it's still vacant. Strange that nobody has been moved into it.

ummnour
11th Apr 2014, 19:15
Drove past Meydan Heights in complete darkness at 9pm, no street lights for the entire stretch of road (under those power lines) I hope the lamp posts will be up before the first batch moves in.

Mister Warning
11th Apr 2014, 19:27
Doesn't your car have headlights?

ummnour
12th Apr 2014, 05:14
Yeah.. left them at home :rolleyes:

rum_singh
15th Apr 2014, 13:20
I was wondering if there were any floor plans for the new Meydan Heights villas? I am told that all of them are 4-bedroom and all new joiners after June will be housed there. Any help will be appreciated.

also - Is it possible to know a list of the current communities that might be possible locations for new joiners (in addition to Meydan heights)?

NTrdy2MkNyc
25th Apr 2014, 12:28
Now I have questions if any one know please do share the answers,

1) any body have photos/ videos of the villas from inside?
2) what are the facilities beside the villas? i.e. swimming pool? children play ground? community park? a gym? No?!
3) what amenities are around? near by supermarket/ grocery shop? nearest hospital? nearest pharmacy? nearest school(s)? No?!!!
roads/ exits from and into the city?

I know these questions are not important for some, but having little children these means everything.
I can see the place is in the middle of nowhere, but I would like to know the nearest petrol station, or any kind of public transportation system of any kind.

Did any body hear any roomers about the NSA villas?

salamaleikum
25th Apr 2014, 15:44
Hi guys...
To all of you that are being forced to move there, and given the possibility to chose their villa. Here are some doubts I'd like to share.

The last row of villas is the obvious choice. No neighbour 5m ahead looking straight down at you from his bedroom when you're in your "garden"! But then, I went last week and the terrain past the fence is going through some important preparations. Barraks for workers are installed and piles of construction materials are there too. Which means new compound is gonna be built shortly there with all the good stuff, dust, late noise, lights at night, and the uncertainty of what is gonna be put there or who's gonna live in it. So forget about the last row. :=
The first row is too close to the road (and the breathtaking view on the power line, even though it is not operational hence not health threatening) so forget about the first row. :=
All the villas next to the community center and construction offices (destined to become the shopping area), are gonna be noisy. So forget about those too!:=
All the villas that are on the entrance road are gonna be subject to a constant and heavy traffic, night and day. So forget about those.:=
Conclusion, at the end only remain the ones I thought were the worst when I first visited...! The one with a neighbour right in front of you, no privacy at all, stuck in the middle of this huge compound!!! GREAT!!! Well done to all the people who planned this...:D:ugh:

NTrdy2MkNyc
26th Apr 2014, 18:02
I tried to go inside the place, security didn't allow me to go and have a look at the (show Villa) as my name is not on the list.

I am trying to do something over here, been googling the risks of families with children living in proximity of High Voltage electricity cables and I come up with so many findings...However I am in the pursue of finding children cancer centres have published researches about the connection of children cancers and electromagnetic fields from these cables.

I already started the process and hope to get copies of anything that we all could have it handy to show EK accommodation and HR that this is a health hazard area and they can not force us to live there, or twist our arms into opting out.

I know it will be a long way but can any one help me with ideas?

PM me if you are interested

Not Ready 2 Make Nice

VLS with ice
28th Apr 2014, 13:28
As we have JBR, JLT, DIC etc already in Dubai, I heard a good one a while back for Meydan Heights:

ELC: Emirates Labour Camp

or

Mayday Heights

Any other suggestions :)

Just trying to keep smiling.....

fatbus
28th Apr 2014, 16:29
My vote goes for ELC

pilotday
28th Apr 2014, 16:41
I can't wait to scream "EMIRATES LABOUR CAMP!!" outside the door at EGHQ to go home.

okay okay… *head wobble*

knifedge
28th Apr 2014, 16:43
Emirates SENIOR CPTS CONCENTRATION CAMP ...

birdieonfirst
28th Apr 2014, 22:24
MCC - Meydan Concentration Camp :ok:

captainsmiffy
29th Apr 2014, 04:17
Arbeit macht frei.....

Left Coaster
29th Apr 2014, 06:29
Maybe I have dust on my funny bone…but I find that comment quite disturbing…That reference to one of the darkest times in our history has no place here…millions died in places like this, and millions more died fighting to free the world from that tyranny. Maybe you should go visit Auschwitz to help you realize how inappropriate your comment is…
You should be ashamed of yourself. Mods…consider deleting his post!

captainsmiffy
29th Apr 2014, 06:57
Why single my post out....delete all posts with a reference to concentration camps then....

Mister Warning
29th Apr 2014, 07:30
Great idea.

jack schidt
29th Apr 2014, 07:42
Does concentration not mean "High Density" which Meydan villas most certainly are.

Left Coaster
29th Apr 2014, 07:45
Yup…to actually compare how you EK guys/girls have it to concentration camp conditions is pretty outrageous! How spoiled can some people be? Your working conditions complaints here are constant, the living conditions complaints never end, the steady "whinging" about every little change is now making you the giggling stock of most of the readers on this site…and now this…get a grip you idiots…it's just a job…do it well and shut the hell up…preferably both…Please!

vfenext
29th Apr 2014, 08:05
What he said!

fliion
29th Apr 2014, 08:15
Left Coaster - I agree with all the comments, including yours, on the inappropriate use of the term C. camp.

But taking that position and lumping it into 'it's just a job...shut up and do it' is deeply flawed. (And an insult to the gravitas of the former debate)

Many of us came here contingent upon the T&Cs we were presented with during recruitment.

We had/have an expectation that if our company is healthy and profitable that we would maintain or QOL.

The co. is enormously profitable, thanks in no small part, to the hard work of its employees. But in the face of this our position both financially & personally (health, family time off etc) has deteriorated considerably.

We as a pilot group do not want the QOL to decrease even more - by moving into Accomodation that is inferior to our present set-up. That is not just a material issue - it's also emotional ie kids attachment to their friends, their rooms etc etc.

By taking the position you have - you undermine our legitimate concerns and underscore to the mgt - that in fact you are right - we should just 'shut up' and take what's given.

As long as your attitude holds steady in their eyes - the erosion will continue.

Don't undersell your career as a professional pilot with the 'it's just a job' slant - it's an affront to hear a fellow pilot describe it that way. Many of us have taken over ten years of studying, Checking, interviews, university and flawless flying records just to get a chance to interview for the LHS at this company....only to know that those amongst us too easily forget what a bumpy road that can be.

What a pity.

f.

120feet
29th Apr 2014, 08:40
While comparing the Villas to a concentration camp could certainly be viewed as extreme, (Concentration camps were not just a WWII German thing. That's just what most people envision when they hear those words.) I think most the complaints the pilots here make are pretty correct. If you interviewed 6 or more years ago, you were told what you could expect for pay and schooling and housing. These pilots are now flying in the left seat for right seat pay. In the past 6 years their contracts have been "adjusted" so many times its not funny. The "If you don't like it leave." attitude by the management is fine if you are leaving after 2 or 3 years from United to go to Delta. But most the pilots sold houses and cars and moved halfway around the world for a package they were offered. It takes 2 or 3 years just to break even on a move like that. So moving back home is rarely an option. If 1 or 2 of the "contract adjustments" were in the pilots favor, then perhaps there would be less complaining. But when you commit your family to Emirates, (and make no mistakes, that's what you are doing.) and you see your pay and benefits and housing consistently reduced while the company continues to make record profits, perhaps their gripes are worth taking notice of. IMVHO

Left Coaster
29th Apr 2014, 09:48
Ok ok ok..you win…it is a non winnable argument in my opinion anyway. My point is that it's not just you EK pilots who are along on the race to the bottom, it's the whole damn industry. But, as you are in the sad position of not being able to do anything about it from where you are, I suppose some complaining is warranted. But jeez guys…about every little thing?
At no time was I ever putting down the hard work put in by most to get where they are in their career, I am close to the end of my own long and (mostly) good one myself, and am very familiar with what it takes to be successful and alive to enjoy retirement. From both sides of the desk. So when I say "it's just a job"? At the end of the day it really is. You work as hard as you can, be as safe as you know how, stay as healthy as you might, and when you're done, guess what? No one cares. The world thinks we are overpaid and under worked and nothing will ever change that. (They don't care how long it took for us to get where we are, or how much effort.) The people that run the airline business have figured out how to keep the free fall of our working conditions going at top speed and we are almost powerless to stop it. So in the cold light of day, it's become "just another job" to those who don't care about it. Don't get me wrong, I care very much about the act of flying. I do it with all the best people I know, with all the professionalism I can, on one of the best jets ever designed, and I am pretty damn proud of where I work. That part will never change. I fought with companies along side of my fellow pilots, and know the frustration of losing a job because of arrogant and stupid management. Really the pity is that you made a choice to join and they moved the deck chairs on you. Not "it's a pity" because I don't understand. I do. I wish you all luck…just know that your colleagues constant bellyaching is getting old.

jack schidt
29th Apr 2014, 10:06
So that rules out MCC and infact anything with a middle C in it.

Excpet ELC has it's connitations....

Emirates Labor Camp

Early Learning Center (for the new hires)

Enjoy Leaving Company

Emirates Likes Cheap

Everything Looks Crap

Electricity = Likely Cancer

adolf hucker
29th Apr 2014, 10:20
He's right. The Ts and Cs in the industry are steadily drifting downwards and Emirates is no exception. You may well have thought that that your QOL was guaranteed when you joined the company but many might see that assumption as somewhat optimistic. As for selling up back home and committing your family to all the pros (yes, there are some) and cons of life in the desert, well we're all big boys and girls and have to live the consequences of our decisions.

It has to be said that some EK pilots do come across as a bit whiney and institutionalised when they complain about every perceived injustice by the great benefactor. Just remember you're probably still better remunerated than you would be elsewhere and if you can avoid p!ssing it all up the wall to keep up with the Al Jones's you might have something to show for it when you finally get back to civilisation. I'm pretty sure Emirates was the most I'm ever going to paid for operating an aeroplane.

'If you don't like it, leave' may seem harsh but in a non-unionised, hard-nosed commercial organisation it really is your only option.

glofish
29th Apr 2014, 12:20
OMG, why don't some of you put the make-up set away, please!

"Arbeit macht frei" and "Concentration Camp" are widely used metaphors to get satyrical or cynical messages over. Maybe not in the "Hello" magazine but certainly on forums and blunt discussions. No need to dress-up in that hypocritical political correctness skirt here anyway!

As to the actual thread:
Ask yourself: What is your limit on accommodation? What downgrade or uprooting would you accept? How much longer than the well established school run is bearable for your wife? How far from a power line, or from horseflies for that matter, would you bear before starting to complain?
Just consider that about five years back a skipper could take the allowance and rent or buy a 3-bedroom villa cost neutral. Today this is not even doable for a decent 2-bedroom apartment! That limits and in most cases inhibits the choice of where to live today. Meaning that you are at the mercy of the company. Choice is a very much cherished QOL at least for many of us.

Again: Where is your limit of downgrading? There certainly is one even for you and reaching it you would bitch and moan just as we are now.
Maybe this happens on a somewhat high level, depending on your expected QOL, but it is not up to you to criticise other's levels without deeper knowledge of the circumstances.

A downgrading is a downgrading and no one likes that if the profits of the other side go up!

fliion
29th Apr 2014, 13:53
Adolfo H.

WTF are you talking about - the T&Cs in the industry are steadily going down????

Eh no.

The two largest markets in the world - the US & China - are where the T & Cs are most definitely going up. Look at Delta and what that has done in pressuring the other US carriers to respond ...look at what is been offered in China - Spring Airlines $214k, HNA $348k.

Why? Because those markets are expanding and succeeding...just like here .

The European legacy model is contracting and receding...it IS NOT where it used to be and hence erosion.

You don't want to hold the line (figuratively speaking) ...and just take what's given? Where and what point do you find it acceptable to voice a concern.

Where is your line?

No housing?

f.

SimCity
29th Apr 2014, 14:38
MEYDAN - WTF - How many more years of crap are families suppose to endure from a perceived better than most package. Years of construction, vibration, noise, environmental exposure, etc. Think very hard before you commit. Put your family at the top of your priotiy list.

kirungi1
29th Apr 2014, 18:41
I'm not trying to make enermies, but surely for most to land their offers, recruitment must have believed that it was passion, pitched with excellent ability, at the centre of their motivation to fly for Emirates.
I don't agree with the status quo either looking at things from a vantage point - as I'm not a pilot, but surely this is the time for people to make sacrifices. Sacrifices are at the centre of passion for everything. True love is passion and true love is about making sacrifices.
With due respect to each one of you and especially family members, I invite you to make sacrifices and use this chance to define the bench mark / minimum accepted standard of living so that the industry can be redeamed or gain a definition for QOL - in terms of what is expected and what is not expected since for now anything is possible (bearing in mind the lack of unions over there).
This sacrifice is a price you/we are paying for the past mistakes but as they say it can never be bad alone all the time and vice versa. Without any doubt there will be a turn in T's & C's and with some indurance and resilience this will be history.
My apologies if I've offended anybody. I'm not suggesting in favour of anything however is now the best time to negotiate?

Murrenfan
29th Apr 2014, 22:29
I'm sure you're trying to say something but nothing of what you said make any sense to me. Can anybody help me out with this one? Another beer...
Mfan

ChillinInTheDesert
30th Apr 2014, 07:04
A whole lot of something that means nothing. Nope, can't understand a word of it either.

glofish
30th Apr 2014, 07:16
Was that you Alan? :ugh:

(for those who didn't get the drift, here a clue: #128 sounded as comprehensible and logical like some e-mail of some EK manager ...... )

SOPS
30th Apr 2014, 08:23
Um....what?

adolf hucker
30th Apr 2014, 18:56
Frilly one,

So who's stopping you going to that DEC job in Delta or taking a job in China?

'Hold the line' - what exactly does that mean in a non-unionised company where you are completely expendable. The only card you have to play if you are not happy with your lot in Emirates is to tender your resignation. I did just that and am happier for it. You have not played that card and are therefore complicit in the erosion of your terms and conditions. Understand now?

fliion
30th Apr 2014, 21:03
Nice try Adolph,

Taking an assertion that T & Cs are depleting everywhere...which they are not...and parrying it with ...leave if you don't like it.

Subtle Segway to a moot point

plenty of cards to play and are being played at an intangible cost to co. (but at a cost) too many to name ..

For someone who is over it here...can't keep sniffing hey?

Sentiment from the pilot group to mgt,contrary to your belief, has an effect...

Glad you are happy ... After all ... There are no complaints in your world ...

Bligh's dream

f.

puff m'call
4th May 2014, 11:35
Just been for a look see at the place.

If you're thinking about joining EK and this is where you're going to be living you really need to think again!!!

I took some pictures but can't post them for some reason.

Block after block of town houses all the same with NO back garden.

Just awful is the only way to put it

harry the cod
4th May 2014, 13:23
I also popped up there this weekend and agree with Puff. Even when the trees start growing and flowers are planted, you can't disguise what's there, cheaply made ugly villas lined up row after row in a rather depressing location.

I'm curious to see how many VP's / SVP's move there that are required to vacate their current villas? The answer may not come as a surprise to most of you!

Harry

Mr Good Cat
4th May 2014, 18:26
I have it on good authority that the VP's & SVP's are being offered Silicon Oasis.

Actually, anyone who kicks up a big enough stink is being offered Silicon Oasis.

The problem is that they're being told that within 6 years (i.e. could be much less) EVERYBODY in that complex will also be in Meydan... So do you move there knowing you have to move again within 6 years?

There' 528 of this batch, increasing to 900 total by the next phase. And there are plans for more.

Simple case of deciding who goes first, and I believe that's decided on a day-to-day basis and NO-ONE in the office really knows the answer...

Dropp the Pilot
5th May 2014, 03:51
Two decades of observing the workings of the accommodation department and I can assure you that it has always been the worst-run department in the company: unresponsive, unbalanced, and capricious to the point of antagonism.

More importantly for those effected by the Meydan debacle, the winner is whomever's wife is willing to make the largest scene, preferably in the office itself, preferably with weeping children. In one case this resulted in scoring a five-bedroom detached villa in Jumeirah on the company dime (this was before the utility allowance existed). True story, but it was an academy-award winning performance, at one stage featuring collapsing in a heap in front of NC's desk.

Be guided accordingly.

P7xkk
12th May 2014, 19:51
I've been reading this thread with interest as my start date is fast approaching.
For weeks, I have been requesting information on our accommodation from the appointed HR co-ordinator (bless her), with the occasional nudge to an HR Manager when things did not move onwards.
I am bound for a management desk in Engineering, and have been told by HR today that ALL managerial, pilots,and engineering staff are destined for Meydan at some point.
In fact, after some drum beating, my initial request of furnished company accommodation has now been confirmed, though initially we were told that no furnished properties were available. So here we are, seeking insight via Google about Meydan, especially given that we have a villa number (its in the low 100s), but apart from a drive by video, some pics taken outside the fence, and a contractors aircon video, there is nothing, nowt, no insight, just what I find on here.
Now given that I specifically requested that a garden was a MUST (2 dogs, both bonkers), being packed in like Glenrycks finest (that's Pilchards or Sardines to the uninitiated) with a space out back that is too small to swing a dead rat has gone down like the proverbial cold cup of sick, and we haven't told the puppies, yet! Also on the "wish list" was a place in DSO, as I was briefed by a double decker captain (a reformed engineer colleague from back in the days at BHX) that DSO was a nice place to live. Of course that too has gone by the wayside now, but I am still contemplating a response to HR about Meydan and its rat run garden. I do have 2 weeks in a high rise on Sheikh Zayed Road to look forward to when I arrive, and have been promised access to the accommodation before the move date, so I suppose that may be my last opportunity to vent my spleen. Not sure if histrionics and a fainting episode will work for me, if I am completely honest. Never mind the 3 month probation period! But that would be better than waiting for my better half to arrive and watching her tear a few new orifices in the Accommodation Department people.....

Now while I smoulder, and wifey fumes, the packing continues, or at least the unpacking of the attics, and discarding of various bits and pieces. Luckily for me, the girls (and boys) won't be coming over until August, so all I have to do is get my feet under the table, try not to upset too many people, book a school place for the Princess, and see what's what out at Vaseline Villas. No wait, that was somewhere else. Oh never mind, the name game could run and run, and Stalag Luft III will still be there next month. Probably.

sheiken around
13th May 2014, 05:31
Just a heads up for you..As a EK pilot who has gone through the lack of housing debacle of 2008/9, remember that once you leave your homeland and arrive in Dubai, all bets are off. That is to say, you will effectively lose ALL bargaining/negotiating power - except for voting with your feet. Which, I am sure, you will hear many "managers" say to you as you escalate your concerns regarding your housing issue.

My advice, get the housing resolved BEFORE you come to EK. Meydan DOES NOT have what you appear to need/want for your canine friends. The "backyard" is the size of a medium sized SUV. Sure, the location is fine, but foremost to me is the proximity to the 2 sets of power lines.....and yes, I am aware that the accommodation department is spewing the line "the power lines are de-energized" - but unless EK (in particular the accommodation dept.) is now controlling DEWA...caveat emptor !!!

The Turtle
13th May 2014, 07:05
I attended that housing meeting in 08......the one where the now famous line was said, "if you don't like it, leave" to the gasps of the wives in the audience.

This prior poster who is joining, you're thoughts are eerily familiar to my line of thinking back then. It can work out, much perseverance on your part... be expecting a bumpy ride, full of many empty promises

fliion
13th May 2014, 08:04
P7

When you interviewed for position...did they tell and show you Meydan as housing

If not you might have a chance ....otherwise - you Sir - are Meydan bound.

Hope those dogs don't bark....we do shift work over here...day time sleep crucial.

f.

Mr Good Cat
13th May 2014, 08:07
P7xkk,

Now given that I specifically requested that a garden was a MUST (2 dogs, both bonkers), being packed in like Glenrycks finest (that's Pilchards or Sardines to the uninitiated) with a space out back that is too small to swing a dead rat has gone down like the proverbial cold cup of sick, and we haven't told the puppies, yet!

I'm going to be absolutely honest here, bringing your dogs here is a bad idea.

Firstly, If they're bonkers they won't accept the heat of the Middle East and the confined space of Meydan.

Secondly, if they make any noise at all and your neighbours (justifiably) complain of disturbed rest you WILL be told to sort it out (I.e. get rid of them) or find your own accommodation. All it takes is for your neighbour to write a nasty email to Fleet Admin threatening to phone in sick due to no rest and you'll be in trouble... And believe me if there's one place in the world where your colleagues report people before discussing it with them, it's Dubai.

As the previous posts suggest, once you're here you have no bargaining power you just have to accept what you're told. If that means no pets then you have to deal with it unfortunately.

It's also probably fairer to your pets to find them a good home in the UK before you leave. The Middle East is not an 'outdoor' sort of place for large pets irrespective of the size of your garden. Do what's right for them, rather than forcing them to endure 50 degree heat just for the sake of having them living here with you.

If the kids NEED a pet then get something small that lives indoors, or adopt a local stray cat that's used to the heat.

Or in Meydan a stray Camel Spider maybe :ok:

The Outlaw
13th May 2014, 08:57
I'm going to be absolutely honest here, bringing your dogs here is a bad idea.[/SIZE]

Figures a "good cat" would say that!!

Rather Be Skiing
13th May 2014, 09:00
P7xkk, I'm going to be absolutely honest here, bringing your dogs here is a bad idea. Firstly, If they're bonkers they won't accept the heat of the Middle East and the confined space of Meydan. Secondly, if they make any noise at all and your neighbours (justifiably) complain of disturbed rest you WILL be told to sort it out (I.e. get rid of them) or find your own accommodation. All it takes is for your neighbour to write a nasty email to Fleet Admin threatening to phone in sick due to no rest and you'll be in trouble... And believe me if there's one place in the world where your colleagues report people before discussing it with them, it's Dubai. As the previous posts suggest, once you're here you have no bargaining power you just have to accept what you're told. If that means no pets then you have to deal with it unfortunately. It's also probably fairer to your pets to find them a good home in the UK before you leave. The Middle East is not an 'outdoor' sort of place for large pets irrespective of the size of your garden. Do what's right for them, rather than forcing them to endure 50 degree heat just for the sake of having them living here with you. If the kids NEED a pet then get something small that lives indoors, or adopt a local stray cat that's used to the heat. Or in Meydan a stray Camel Spider maybe :ok:

Hmmmm! 'Don't bring your dogs' comment made by a cat!

Mr Good Cat
13th May 2014, 10:00
Damn. Busted!

P7xkk
13th May 2014, 20:14
Thanks Sheiken, your advice is appreciated, and thanks to a certain A380 Captain (lots of forelock tugging, even if he was one of "our" apprentices, back in the days of BEA. Credit where its due, he has achieved a lot) I have taken a direct approach to the Accommodation Department which cuts out the middle man, so to speak. We will see what happens as I did remain polite, as you do.
While our pooches are not especially large, they do need a bit of space to run around, and an SUV sized plot, even a Yank Tank sized patch is hardly adequate, even for a human. I must say the overhead shots do seem to confirm that things are a little tight at the rear.
So 2 weeks to go, apparently, and lets hope it is all put to bed before I arrive....

P7xkk
13th May 2014, 20:20
Thanks Mr Turtle, I have some time on my side, and a few months before the family follow on to join me. So if it does not go well, I can at least attempt to stay in the temporary accommodation rather than take what we do not want. Or, take the Meydan villa/townhouse (is there a difference?), suck it up for a few months until my better half gets herself a property job, and jump ship to a private letting.
Only time will tell.

P7xkk
13th May 2014, 20:31
Fliion, during my 2 days in Dubai for the interview, me and the other candidate for my position were tagged on to a bunch of pilots who were over for selection. We were given the medical centre & school tour, then high tailed it down to Jebel Ali where we were shown a villa. Comments were made by all present about the size of the strip at the rear which constituted a garden, as it was all of 2 metres deep!
No mention was made of where any of us may end up being accommodated, just that the good lady who escorted us on the tour was living in Safa Park with her 777 flying husband.
What is grating a little is that we were asked to give preferred locations, and other preferences, and the list given was 1 item long!
Do we have the choice to choose? Can we choose the choice chosen? Are we purposeless? Should we show purposelessness? Or, should we be purposelessnessless?????????

P7xkk
13th May 2014, 20:43
Thanks guys, the pet question is a concern, and we are already planning to leave 2 other dogs behind as they are too old, bless em. My good lady refuses to consider leaving her 2 babies behind, though the horror stories we have dug up about poisoned pets is pretty horrific.
Noise is controllable, please refer to Cesar Milan, that guy is amazing, and his techniques do work.
Exercise, Discipline & Affection, in that order, just like the way I treat my staff........ Easy on the affection I must admit, perhaps the odd cake as a reward.
My neighbour in UK works nights, and has never complained about the noise our lot CAN make when excited, but we will see what happens.
So early morning and late evening walks will be a must, just like they are now.

Byobeer
13th May 2014, 21:53
P7

I have to say that I moved here with my 2 big dogs. I was very lucky and do have a good garden. My 2 dogs were guard dogs in my previous location and taught to bark at everything. Within 3 weeks of being here I taught them to bark at nothing or anything at all. My neighbours were astounded at the fact and have nothin but good words for the girls who are also very Kid friendly despite being big and previously guard dogs.

I have to say that previous posts are correct and people do complain to the company before speaking to you. My advise is to be up front with your neighbours and tell them about your dogs and the re training you will be undertaking. Even to the point of getting your neighbours to Know your dogs and be able to command them to Down and quiet.

I would never have left my girls behind. Its all a matter of how much you are the boss with your animals.

Now I have to go speak to my neighbour who leaves his 2 new dogs out in the garden in 40C and wonders why they bark to go inside.

On the upside of summer and its heat, your dogs once vaccinated and Kennel Cough etc can go to special day care for dogs and have fun with other house bound pooches.

They will be fine if you are the boss

Good luck

BYO

White Knight
14th May 2014, 07:35
Had large dogs here for over ten years... Good size garden I admit, but they also get walked a lot; even in summer - just very early when it's so hot. Humidity is the real problem for walking, but for a good nine months of the year you can get out and about easily. In fact I walked our dogs for 90 minutes yesterday morning... Mid May too:ok:

As for barking dogs - well, just control them. We have dogs all around the 'hood and if they get a bit incessant with the noise then a polite word is all that's ever needed... Writing reports is a sad way to do things:ugh::rolleyes:

If you are stuck in Meydan, then you at least have big areas of desert at the back of the compound, you can let 'em run wild out there:ok:

pilotrob23
14th May 2014, 07:35
Did the tour show you Mirdiff Uptown primary school? We were shown that school when I interviewed a few years ago, and was told by the school that the Emirates educational allowance will cover the kids, no out of pocket fees. Well, last year they updated their costs structure, and it is a fortune out of pocket expense. We picked the kids up last week, and got to see about 12 interviewees being shown the school with the wives, so I was wondering what the school or Emirates was telling the new joiners? It is getting very expensive in Dubai, and I hope (among other things) that it is addressed.

White Knight
14th May 2014, 07:39
Did the tour show you Mirdiff Uptown primary school? We were shown that school when I interviewed a few years ago, and was told by the school that the Emirates educational allowance will cover the kids, no out of pocket fees. Well, last year they updated their costs structure, and it is a fortune out of pocket expense. We picked the kids up last week, and got to see about 12 interviewees being shown the school with the wives, so I was wondering what the school or Emirates was telling the new joiners? It is getting very expensive in Dubai, and I hope (among other things) that it is addressed.

Some schools are noticeably far more expensive than others.... I know location is important, but it's worth investigating other schools. I pay hardly anything yearly and the school where mine goes is one of the higher acheiving English scools.

Stay clear of GEMS too; all about profit:=

Mister Warning
14th May 2014, 11:50
higher acheiving English scools

.....Classic.

glofish
14th May 2014, 12:33
.... a genuine GEM!

fliion
14th May 2014, 12:35
Ha...that 'humor' just boosted my 'moral'

; >

f.

Dropp the Pilot
14th May 2014, 13:24
I've grown accustomed to posts which regularly remind me that my 'moral' is low to which I can only reply "fair cop, guv".

BANANASBANANAS
14th May 2014, 14:09
Had a drive out to Meydan today. Not quite as bad as I was expecting but still bad enough.

We weren't allowed past the security gate to look at the show house so I can't comment on individual houses or space but we saw enough to see that the development could be ok in a few years when it has greened up a bit and Costa Coffee, Spinneys etc have moved in.

I sure as hell wouldn't fancy it for a few years yet though.

thehonourablefong
14th May 2014, 14:11
Dropp

Thats what you get from going too Zinc to much...then again thats aloud out here...

Anyone know any teacher's?

Tight Seat
14th May 2014, 16:57
I do..............

White Knight
14th May 2014, 18:22
It was a silent h........ onest

Mister Warning
14th May 2014, 20:24
And what's your excuse for "acheiving", Silent Knight?

White Knight
15th May 2014, 00:35
That'll be my excuse 4 auotsplel Mister Warning.... I never actully went too scool myself!

P7xkk
15th May 2014, 07:18
Byobeer, many thanks for your enlightening post, it is good to hear that our 4 legged friends can adapt to the environment they find themselves plunged into.
I was very pleased to hear about the day care too! My boys would love that ( a Shih Tzu & a Cockerpoo) as they are sociable little hounds.
You are of course completely right, we have to be the Boss, pack leader, or whatever. My better half feels a whole lot better now after reading your post, and looking up "day care."
Thanks again

P7xkk
15th May 2014, 07:26
Still nothing from the Accommodation peeps, or HR as yet. Not a site plan, floor plan, nothing.
Silence may be golden, but with 2 weeks to go until I leave UK, things are getting twitchy.

As for schools, well the group I toured with were shown a Baccalaureate school which was funded by the Royals. All very nice, but not where daughter will be going.
DESC is favourite at present, but whether we can get her in is another matter.

The Outlaw
15th May 2014, 07:57
New batch heading to Shawshank. "Here fishy fish"

Croc Dundee
15th May 2014, 08:51
Red: Let me tell you something my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.

ummnour
15th May 2014, 09:10
Yeap...received email this morning, they are not renewing our lease at Jumeirah 3. To Meydan by November.

Mr Good Cat
15th May 2014, 11:15
Which complex Ummour? If you don't mind us asking? Hopefully they gave you first choice on the nicer end of the villas available?

Mr Good Cat
15th May 2014, 11:24
Still nothing from the Accommodation peeps, or HR as yet. Not a site plan, floor plan, nothing.
Silence may be golden, but with 2 weeks to go until I leave UK, things are getting twitchy.

It's unlikely either department will help P7xkk.

The HR department probably can't get an answer from the accommodation department even if they wanted to help... as someone stated earlier the accommodation department is by far the most useless department in the organisation. Even those of us who communicate to them in a respectful and nice manner don't get anywhere. The rumours of arrogant blatant laziness I'm afraid are true. That's from personal experience, not second hand tall tales :-(.

I hope you get something sorted to your liking... but be careful about rushing to take the allowance (which they are pushing heavily at the moment) as its only suitable for those who are young, free and single with cash to spare. Or maybe an option if your wife works and also has a decent allowance to put towards an acceptable villa.

Good luck.

BigGeordie
15th May 2014, 11:57
Remember once you take the money there is no going back, so you will need to stay single and childless for your time at EK. Or marry well!

ummnour
15th May 2014, 13:00
We are few streets behind Eat & Drink opp Safa Park. Will be given a few units to choose from in late June.

ChillinInTheDesert
15th May 2014, 13:25
Ummnour and other EK'ers moving from Jumeirah area, are you all being given the opportunity to fill up any empty villas in DSO or Layan before being herded into Meydan? I would like to think so.

Rim-job
15th May 2014, 14:31
Hey guys...

Is there any credence to families in DSO (Semner or Cedre) having to move to Meydan? I keep hearing rumblings but nothing which has been confirmed or official.

Has anyone in DSO personally been advised of a potential "mandatory move" in the near future?

ummnour
15th May 2014, 15:30
Unfortunately no, here are the 3 generous options

1. Take Meydan
2. Opt out of company villa and source out our own with the housing allowance.
3. If you wish to stay on in your current accommodation, please liaise directly with the landlord regarding the rental price and for the lease and utilities to be put in your name.

ChillinInTheDesert
15th May 2014, 15:38
Thats harsh! Especially if they were to place new joiners in any avail DSO or Layan villas.

Jet II
16th May 2014, 11:52
Remember once you take the money there is no going back, so you will need to stay single and childless for your time at EK. Or marry well!

That's changed - they are allowing people to move back in to company accommodation, I know quite a few who have done so due to the rise in rents.

BANANASBANANAS
16th May 2014, 11:57
That's changed - they are allowing people to move back in to company accommodation, I know quite a few who have done so due to the rise in rents.

Whilst I am pleased for the individuals that have been allowed back onto company accommodation it surely does not bode well for those hoping for a substantial increase in accommodation allowance does it?

Praise Jebus
16th May 2014, 16:52
I believe National Cement dwellers got their news yesterday.....

ChillinInTheDesert
16th May 2014, 17:03
National cement dwellers?

Praise Jebus
16th May 2014, 17:18
Yes.....that would refer to those of EK employ domiciled in the compound known as National Cement...

P7xkk
16th May 2014, 17:47
Great news! The edict has come down from a great height, take Meydan/Shawshank or the allowance.
No conferring, no bonus questions, just a complete disconnect between HR and Accommodation, and one can only speculate from what height this descended from.
For those of you still being shown Jebel Ali apartments during selection, that will hopefully be stopped soon as the word is spread around that MH is it!
I am being sent some pics of the "villa" internals soon, and hopefully a site plan, as nobody can tell me where our assigned domicile is located.
By the way, my HR contact is being very frank and helpful.
Accommodation? No response.

777X
16th May 2014, 17:56
So, in the fullness of time will there be tower blocks of apartments at MH, or are folk in apartments elsewhere safe for now? Are ALL new joiners going to MH, or just those entitled to a villa.

Mr Good Cat
17th May 2014, 06:25
Apartments are being constructed at Silicon (7 big blocks) for EK staff.

At this stage, villas only at Meydan.

P7xkk, I didn't expect you'd get any response from the accommodation sept. Try to focus on the positives before you leave home otherwise you'll end up in a depressed spiral and that won't make the family life happy here.

ekwhistleblower
17th May 2014, 07:13
The only "returnees" that I am aware of left essentially not of their own free will during the last crisis.

The Outlaw
17th May 2014, 07:23
Has anyone who is being forced to move considering taking the accommodation allowance instead of unit at the labour camp?

Post or PM....

Thanks

ummnour
17th May 2014, 08:18
Just came back from Meydan Heights.. not bad at all! For those visiting the site itself, the showroom is unfurnished we later found out from a current neighbour that there is a furnished villa No. 293. Took some pics of the furnished bathroom, living and dining, kitchen and the master bedroom. Leave me a private message with your email and would be glad to share it.

GoreTex
17th May 2014, 09:02
I was just there, its beautiful, not bad at all, love the location, I actually hope they move me soon

P7xkk
17th May 2014, 09:26
Just came back from Meydan Heights.. not bad at all! For those visiting the site itself, the showroom is unfurnished we later found out from a current neighbour that there is a furnished villa No. 293. Took some pics of the furnished bathroom, living and dining, kitchen and the master bedroom. Leave me a private message with your email and would be glad to share it.

Hi. Just as soon as I can get to my laptop I will PM you with my email address, as we are very keen to see some internal shots of Meydan. Looks like I could be there on my lonesome for a good few months now, so the more info I can share with my family the better!

P7xkk
17th May 2014, 09:31
Apartments are being constructed at Silicon (7 big blocks) for EK staff.

At this stage, villas only at Meydan.

P7xkk, I didn't expect you'd get any response from the accommodation sept. Try to focus on the positives before you leave home otherwise you'll end up in a depressed spiral and that won't make the family life happy here.

The HR manager I am dealing with is being very helpful. But Accommodation are not talking to me directly, funnily enough.
We'll be ok, my wife is already looking for work in the property market, so as soon as we can get everyone across, we are going to look at opting out & taking the allowance.
Thanks for your thoughts though Mr Cat, every little helps!

kirungi1
17th May 2014, 09:52
@P7xkk,
Fantastic how you've (are) kept an open mind through all this. So receptive! I promise you, it's going to be the best decision you've ever made, besides of course the one of your wife & family. Your work life will be overwhelming and dictate the balance of other probabilities (you will know this already by now). Do not be disheartened by this accommodation coordinate as it might turn out to be a total surprise.
You seem to have a great sense of humour, being from South Wales and your appreciation of Mr Cat ( he is Mr GOOD Cat by-the-way, don't upset him now) and your "bless" phrase, so let this take you through this. It's such a powerful too in this part of the world.
Welcome on-board.

P7xkk
18th May 2014, 07:32
Open mind? I am spitting bullets my friend, and god (not that I "believe")
help Accommodation when my beloved gets hold of them.
Edicts may dribble down to the masses from exalted heights, but this is no way to encourage new starters, or old hands for that matter.
Maybe a spell in the Arbeits Lager will mellow me, in due course. Who can say.
Welcome back to the Corporate world!

lospilotos
18th May 2014, 07:40
Recently families of a few recent joining pilots, let's say less fortunate in the accommodation lottery, have jumped ship and left Dubai.

Tight Seat
18th May 2014, 08:13
Tell more lospilotos.

Chopper OZ
19th May 2014, 02:46
Jumeirah used to be a sandpit once too... It wont be too long before Meydan is built up as well.

Now we just need a Fibber McGee's, or Rock Bottoms Meydan.

fliion
19th May 2014, 04:39
Better chance of that in DSO!

Seven towers now the plan ...originally five.

Qube sports bar Meydan...a good start.

f.

lospilotos
19th May 2014, 06:04
Tell more lospilotos.

Well, I know personally two guys whose families have packed up and gone home after not so long in Dubai. They don´t know each other so they were not winding one another up. They got housing in the more "exotic" places people have been getting the last couple of years. One guy had independently verified health issues with his accommodation and went high up the food chain to try to have it resolved. Company simply didn´t care.

Faced with taking the allowance, both of them having 2 kids, they could not afford anything suitable so the families left Dubai. Now both guys are struggling to maintain whatever kind of relationship they can with their wives and kids. They´ll be leaving soon too, as soon as their bond is up... Sad it is...

Dropp the Pilot
19th May 2014, 06:49
It's not a bond. I may have said this before.

The difference is important if you are making a purely financial stay/leave decision. Why would you possibly delay your desired departure even one day in order to save a thousand bucks a month?

lospilotos
19th May 2014, 07:20
It's not a bond. I may have said this before.

The difference is important if you are making a purely financial stay/leave decision. Why would you possibly delay your desired departure even one day in order to save a thousand bucks a month?

Bond or not, that´s just splitting hairs. You´re obviously on a higher payscale than my friends, and myself for that matter. $1000/month is a lot, especially if you have many months left of the non-bond...

My main reason for the post is to tell P7xkk that if he is hoping for a change once he´s here that will probably not happen, not to the better at least.

Fear_of_heights
19th May 2014, 08:04
happy wife happy life....Not happy???pack your stuff and go or wait for a better opportunity and then go all together as a family(a group consisting of parents and children living together in a household)...When wife takes the kids and leave the country there are bigger family problems to be solved than accommodation...My 2 cents...:sad::sad:

lospilotos
19th May 2014, 08:21
Every situation is different, again my point is no help from the only department that could have at least tried to improve the situation.

To answer another posted question: Yes, new joiners are still being allocated villas in DSO, while long time serving are moved to Meydan.

Mr Good Cat
19th May 2014, 11:50
But long-timers are being told that DSO will also be vacated within a few years. So better to choose the best of the Meydan villas now instead of having to move again in a few years, no?

BANANASBANANAS
19th May 2014, 12:01
But long-timers are being told that DSO will also be vacated within a few years. So better to choose the best of the Meydan villas now instead of having to move again in a few years, no?

Fair point for a lot of DSO dwellers I suppose but I know a few of us will be clinging on to DSO for as long as possible. Another few years should see me to retirement so we are quite happy to sit tight.

Outatowner
19th May 2014, 13:02
They´ll be leaving soon too, as soon as their bond is up... Sad it is...

It is sad if they have to stay because they cannot afford to pay out the bond. Management must be very happy with how their bond is working.

The company heads say the new bond reflects the more accurate cost of training but in fact it reflects the need to stretch the bond over a longer period to keep people like your friends bonded here a little longer after the thin layer of polish wears off and exposes the dog turd underneath.

The lesson being that unless convinced of the move, new joiners should budget well in advance a wad of cash to pay out the bond if necessary after they come here.

P7xkk
19th May 2014, 18:52
Well guys, thanks to the very welcome assistance of 2 of "our" number, we now have photos AND a site map for Meydan - we will be up towards the north, 1 plot in from the end of a row.
The postage stamp sized garden is still an issue, but the rest of the property looks passable.
Still nothing from official circles, which is rather a sad indication of the state of play, probably.
But never mind, I may even receive a flight ticket before too long. Again, silo mentality is in evidence, so I can see my intended role is going to be an enormous challenge in the months/years ahead.

Byobeer
19th May 2014, 20:12
P7XKK

Check your PM inbox

ChillinInTheDesert
20th May 2014, 03:36
P7xkk, would you mind sharing the photos and site map at all? I'd love to be able to pass along to friends of ours who have been allocated Meydan.

Many thanks
Chillin.

helen-damnation
20th May 2014, 05:32
So better to choose the best of the Meydan villas now instead of having to move again in a few years, no?

My understanding is that only the first few got to choose. Everyone else is being allocated a number. Very happy to be corrected if wrong.

Tight Seat
20th May 2014, 05:42
Bit of a shame they didn't offer a rent-to-buy at Meydan. It might change how people feel about the whole development .

P7xkk
20th May 2014, 15:53
P7xkk, would you mind sharing the photos and site map at all? I'd love to be able to pass along to friends of ours who have been allocated Meydan.

Many thanks
Chillin.

No problem at all in sharing what I have. Send me a PM with your email address, and I will send it right over.

Basic Service
20th May 2014, 18:48
Mayday heights is probably similar to Al Furjan(too far Sir,as the drivers put it )..
When I joined, we heard rumours that we may be put there, but hoped not as quite frankly it's cr*p compared to say DSO or the Layan...The decision to come was heavily based on seeing how mates already here were living. Of course, they won't tell you until it's too late and you have already resigned and are committed. So of course we got AF and I don't mind telling you, it was shockingly bad..... No facilities, none.... No shops, no pool, no schools no Costa/ Spinneys... Nada... Oh and there was only one road in and out, my record was nearly two hours to get to the SZR, only 3 clicks away... So since we got here we have smiled politely as people complained that Costa in DSO ran out of Almond croissants or that the school run took 8 whole minutes today, or that some tit cut them up at the security gate. What's a security gate? Our place was open to the desert and the 30,000 Indians from Disco gardens that have joined The Force India F1 team and practice through the estate each morning...Ooops, nearly forgot the icing on the cake that is the delightful smell of Sh*t every day from the untreated sewage they pump onto the few shrubs that are planted about. Anyway.. We tried to get moved but Accommodation despite everything from bribery to threatening them with a 1000 fleas infesting their privates, resisted brilliantly. ( they just ignore you if your case becomes too strong)...
Did I mention the child that got knocked over by a car recently? It seems it's ok to do 60+ K down the streets here... Did I mention the break ins? Oh the wife's loved that whilst we were all away and doors were being booted it...

To the credit of all concerned, the place has become a community, ( all in the s***t together)... We will soon have a shop within 5k and at last a security gate is going in.. I'm going to take a chair and sit and laugh at the prats that get turned away from using us as a rat run... The villas are actually very nice, but not detached, and as I write, next door are playing scrape the table / chair...but hey..... The gardens are actually big enough to make into a little something and here's the point....... Emirates have taken a major step down from how it was here and it's the future... Mayden and AF are how it's going to be for everyone eventually. Good luck to those that get to hang on for a few more years to the nice villas...it's worth it but steel yourself for the change when it comes..yer wifes are not gonna like it.....

There are other posts on this site that speak of the difficulty the company are having attracting the right people, and the fact that the package is not keeping up with Dubai's spiralling cost of living...I would be surprised if this helps attract the "right people"...

BTW P7.... Good cat is right....you might as well stay home mate if you feel the way you do before you even get here... Accept it for what it is and it will be fine, otherwise you will give yourself ulcers and you can bet your a**se they will be pre existing...

Mr Good Cat
20th May 2014, 19:57
Bit of a shame they didn't offer a rent-to-buy at Meydan. It might change how people feel about the whole development .

They are lease-to-own...

Emirates is purchasing them from Emaar over a 15 year period. It will be the norm from now on with EK developments.

However, it remains to be seen whether the villas are still standing after 15 years.

P7xkk
21st May 2014, 17:07
Mr Service, my main beef is the total lack of comms regarding the fact that the goalposts had moved, and there were actually no choices/preferences to be had.
Unless of course it was common knowledge and everyone involved (including the left seater's wife who showed us all around, bless her!) was complicit in the deception.
It would have saved an awful lot of googling the different areas, and the efforts of a certain A380 "Kaleun" and his good lady.
But never mind, everything is still to play for, and besides, I will have more than enough to get my teeth into when I get my feet under the table in a week or two.
I have never had an ulcer, just a flat forehead :ugh:
But I will be bringing a bike, so can go and burn off the excess adrenaline when its not too hot.........
Now where have they put the cooler?

ekwhistleblower
21st May 2014, 18:10
If you go to the Al Ain Road on a bike you will get all the adrenaline you could ever wish for:ok:

P7xkk
21st May 2014, 18:50
Perfect!
Or maybe I'll stick to the track ;)

JAARule
21st May 2014, 20:33
Hi P7xkk,

I don't think you are doing yourself any favours here. You've shown you are well-enlightened - more so than so many others - and yet you are still in your position in the queue to move into your job in the sandpit, already knowing what the accommodation is like and starting off with a compromise. As well as that, you appear to be aware of the sort of garbage you can expect from management here. You know you need everything going for you before you even set foot in the place............

And yet you are forging ahead with your plan and accepting the deal despite knowing it is less than ideal. Maybe you don't have much of a choice but, having already begun to find fault with the offer, it'd be disappointing to see you on here in six months time to point out the shaftings or the crap duties you didn't expect or that your neighbour's dog is driving you up the wall or that he complains about YOUR dogs to your manager who then interferes in your personal life. You have the knowledge and yet you accept the conditions. Some people might see you as part of the problem here; not part of any solution.

Sorry fella but showing up here with the full knowledge that you have and already complaining about it before even flying in - before even setting foot in the place - and still coming?????? Not a lot of little sympathy here.

P7xkk, a little bit of sunshine is not necessarily worth the price you are going to pay.

Mr Good Cat
21st May 2014, 20:56
A little bit harsh don't you think JAArule?

Some people don't have a job anymore in their home country and NEED to work.

The Outlaw
21st May 2014, 23:04
Cat and P7,

JAA may sound a little harsh but I think there are a lot of silent folks that would agree with him. This sentiment has been said by so many different posters in as many threads, its just being brought to light again here. I'd be lying if i didn't think the same thing as I read through this thread.

Everyone who has ever signed a contract in this area knows that the "actual" terms and conditions one has 3 years hence, were not those that were agreed upon on the day of signing. Also keep in mind that this is the dating/schmoozing phase when they put out the BEST they have on offer. If its questionable now, it'll be worse in the future. Once here they know they have you...and given a little time you will realize that you have been had. The most important question to ask is "can you get back to what you left behind"?

Same old story...different players. One thing is 100 % clear and repeated countless times here....If you have any doubts about it now then this is NOT the place for you.

Delusion from desperation? Perhaps....but its been said before and it'll be said again....BUYER BEWARE

JAARule
22nd May 2014, 07:55
Yes you're quite right guys, it was a bit harsh and unnecessary. My sincere apologies. I re-jigged it to get the point across which I was trying to make, whether anyone agrees or not is another matter. Maybe I'm on the wrong track.

P7xkk
22nd May 2014, 08:08
JAA, my beef, such as it is, does not compromise our intention to make the most of our time in Dubai.
We have plans, and while a tiny bit of sand/greenery outside the back door is not ideal in the short term, we are prepared to put up with it until we find our feet. Besides, pooches are not coming until September, which gives me time to make it green. Or at least try, in the heat.
My eyes are wide open regarding my role within the company, and everything is to play for in that regard. IR issues aside, i am going there to do a job, which will be a challenge, no doubt, but I will give it my best and go from there.
Now where is that damn suitcase...

kirungi1
22nd May 2014, 08:58
@P7xkk

There appears to be some correlation between #190 and #219 now or am I reading this upside down!

P7xkk
22nd May 2014, 10:51
Kirungi, when I get to my laptop I'll let you know. Unfortunately the thread replies are not displaying numbers on the phone :(

P7xkk
26th May 2014, 19:56
Ok, done it, and yes, some correlation. I agree.

Stop Press! Apparently there are 3 & 4 b/room properties at MH.
If anyone has floor plan(s) please pass them right along, as interest is growing!

puff m'call
2nd Jun 2014, 07:15
I just drove past the place again and it's looking more and more like a labour camp!!!

Whoever in EK sanctioned the building and design of that place needs sacking!!!

Ang737
2nd Jun 2014, 09:19
Hi guys
We are moving into meydan shortly and receives our number I was wondering if any site plans and floor plans so we are able to see where we are. I'd really appreciate it :)
Cheers

The Outlaw
2nd Jun 2014, 20:48
Puff...

It looks more and more like that because that is precisely what it is...devoid of any green space, shops, amenities, transportation, internet, and who knows what else.

Take a drive behind Al Quoz and see the complex there for the laborers...not far off the mark but at least they have buses, shops etc.

P7xkk
3rd Jun 2014, 05:12
I am told that there will be a mini mart in the community centre, at some point. Apart from that, the pool is not yet commissioned, and I don't have a residence visa.
But, apparently I will be moving in this week - once some light fittings have cleared customs.
Its not much solace as we can't get a school place fro our daughter, so, she may not be coming over. grrrrrrrrr

pumpkin
3rd Jun 2014, 08:51
P7xkk

New schools to create 20,700 student places for Dubai kids (http://7daysindubai.com/new-schools-create-20700-student-places-dubai-kids/)

According to this, there are 5 new schools that will be open for 2014 Sept. Contact the KHDA and find out who they are- you should have no problem getting a spot in one of them.

DCS99
3rd Jun 2014, 15:39
"Dubai has great schools"
(but you can't get your kids in them)

Our advice is to get school places months before you come.
Easier said than done.

P7xkk
3rd Jun 2014, 16:14
Pumpkin, a Kent College will open in September 2015 at Meydan City, but as for the rest, we could not approach schools until we knew where our housing was to be located. As this only became clear last month, and as DCS99 says, this is a tad on the late side.
My better half intends to work while out here, so the "need to know" was paramount, and then the Meydan ultimatum was issued. Hmmm, I smell a film title. Perhaps with my wife playing the part of the Hanging Judge......

TCU LUX
4th Jun 2014, 10:02
From the Gulfnews 4th June 2014...

Group taps CBI for revolving project financing facility to build a further 1,500 villas for Emirates Group that will add to an existing 528 units

“It was two years ago that Emirates Group bought 528 villas at Meydan, of which we have delivered 306 and the rest in the next two months,” said Saeed Humaid Al Tayer, Meydan’s chairman and CEO. “The latest deal will see a further 1,500 plus villas, taking the total to 2,028. Emirates plans to use them for their pilots as they keep adding substantial aircraft numbers to their existing fleet."

'Based on construction timelines, 500 villas in the new tranche are to be delivered by March next and the rest in five phases over a further 24-month period. '

It looks like all EK pilots are doomed to ELC (Emirates Labour Camp)

ChillinInTheDesert
4th Jun 2014, 10:27
If y'all are worried about everyone ending up in the Meydan Labor Camp, I suggest you read the thread I posted the other day, titled Look What I Came Across.

Approx 3000 villas and 3000 apartments planned for somewhere near Dubailand.

puff m'call
5th Jun 2014, 16:30
Any new joiner should just refuse to get on the aircraft over here unless they are given suitable housing. The ELC is not suitable, it's as simple as that!!!!

Oh yeah I should also add don't place your child in a GEMS school, poorly paid teaches cheep accommodation and expensive education.
The one teacher I knew lasted two months and left.

We saw the light in time and moved, our daughters work rate went up noticeably.

JAARule
5th Jun 2014, 17:33
Why didn't you use the allowance to send them home to a good school? Bringing up a kid here is child abuse.

P7xkk
6th Jun 2014, 17:24
Stop press. I went to view the place yesterday. Taxi driver did not have a Danny LaRue as to where it was.
Anyway, I was surprised at the airiness inside. Plenty of space, though the literal sandpit out the back was chastening (posh or what!).
Kitchen is nice and big, bedrooms a good too. En suite t'other master b/room is enormous, but god only knows why it does not have a separate shower.
Just a few snags to fix, mainly silicon sealant, and I can move in.
Be warned, if you are going fully furnished, the Silentnight mattresses are as hard as they come. Update on replacements to follow.
Oh, no taxis out there, phone played up, so had to grab a ride with some workmen back to a Metro.
Must call Dubai Taxis and butter them up for a regular pickup. At least until I can get a Car/visa/driving licence/ID card....

Eau de Boeing
6th Jun 2014, 17:30
Anyone had a look at these from the air?
Looks like a big chicken farm....

Also seen inside too and basically quite spacious, just don't ever plan on having a party and let's see what happens when the friendly neighbour complaints start flying in.....

P7xkk
6th Jun 2014, 17:34
Stop press. I went to view the place yesterday. Taxi driver did not have a Danny LaRue as to where it was.
Anyway, I was surprised at the airiness inside. Plenty of space, though the literal sandpit out the back was chastening (posh or what!).
Kitchen is nice and big, bedrooms a good too. En suite t'other master b/room is enormous, but god only knows why it does not have a separate shower.
Just a few snags to fix, mainly silicon sealant, and I can move in.
Be warned, if you are going fully furnished, the Silentnight mattresses are as hard as they come. Update on replacements to follow.
Oh, no taxis out there, phone played up, so had to grab a ride with some workmen back to a Metro.
Must call Dubai Taxis and butter them up for a regular pickup. At least until I can get a Car/visa/driving licence/ID card....

harry the cod
7th Jun 2014, 01:23
Ooh, just had a deja vu moment then! :rolleyes:

Capt Groper
8th Jun 2014, 16:56
Must be a cheap deal on white paint, surely a more conducive colour would make the outlook more appealing.
Yes a chicken farm or modern jail from the air.

Payscale
9th Jun 2014, 07:18
The comments were the same when DSO opened...

myekppa
9th Jun 2014, 09:34
Agreed, but this time the comments are probably more accurate and at least DSO looked like it had potential.

Payscale
9th Jun 2014, 11:52
At the time it was not the villa that was being discussed, but the fact that people saw it was being half way to Al ain.
Time will make people happy in Meydan too. Maybe not the guy that vacated a jumeirah villa to go there, but new joiners wont know anything else.

ChillinInTheDesert
9th Jun 2014, 13:38
I think the Meydan villas are actually quite nice and definitely liveable, even with the garden size being a complete joke. But are people forgetting about the power lines??? DSO had its fair share of negatives in the beginning, but none of them were a health hazard.

The Outlaw
10th Jun 2014, 02:27
Nobody was being "force moved" into the DSO complex when it was new. Many people elected to move there on their own accord and most if not all new joiners were given a place there. I even liked the place especially since they were detached stand alone houses but elected to stay in Jumeriah because we had a boat at the time and there was no space in DSO for it.

Meydan on the other hand is a forced move into a community of row houses. I can't think of too many places in Jumeriah that would be worse than Meydan but of course everyone see's things differently.

Instant Hooligan
10th Jun 2014, 04:18
http://www.1900s.org.uk/life-times-images/warwick-rd-1900s.jpg

A few more years.....:E:E

harry the cod
10th Jun 2014, 20:40
Bloody hell, swap the chimneys for AC units, the kids for maids with dogs and Arkwright's corner shop with Patel's 24 hour opening and there you have it.

Just replace the grey overcast day with a hot, hazy humid 45 degree furnace and Meydan and Manchester have never looked so similar!

Harry

Payscale
11th Jun 2014, 01:23
where are the smoking teenage mums with clothes 2 sizes too small:uhoh:

thehonourablefong
11th Jun 2014, 03:14
In the Ranches!!!:}

allaru
11th Jun 2014, 03:17
Your new neighbours

http://images.picturesdepot.com/photo/r/redneck_pool-4140.jpg

airbusgirl66
11th Jun 2014, 15:57
LMAO!!!!!!!!!

s.o.d.
11th Jun 2014, 16:36
Your new neighbours

I've seen these people in little Spinneys DSO, shopping wearing just their dripping swimmers and wet towels. Then broken nosed Dad turned up to drive them home in his open top Wrangler. They turned out to be Australias finest.

Praise Jebus
11th Jun 2014, 18:49
Good effort SOD...you managed to jam several prejudices into only a few lines.....

s.o.d.
12th Jun 2014, 12:23
Too right mate. These Jeeps should only ever be driven by the womanfolk and hairdressers.

helen-damnation
13th Jun 2014, 14:15
Show Villa is number 220. The security chappies on the gate are quite amenable to letting you take a gander. The doors open :O

nolimitholdem
13th Jun 2014, 20:18
Found a sample floor plan.

http://s23.postimg.org/53gweuo6z/meydanheights.jpg

Mr Good Cat
13th Jun 2014, 21:21
Well it appears to have a library.

That's one up on my mid-terrace in Jumeirah. Shame I don't read.

:ok:

sluggums
14th Jun 2014, 05:40
nolimit, thx for the floor plan. I visited a similar complex in SF recently. Very nice it was...:}

fokker 200
16th Jun 2014, 18:05
Hello friend,

i will be moving to Meydan like in a month from now...
I do not have ANY info except those pics from here floating around,but no
floor plan or inside pics.

If you have anything and willing to share i would be most grateful.

my mail: [email protected]

Thanks and see you around!

Tim

SOPS
17th Jun 2014, 07:15
You are moving into a place you have never seen or have no information about? Brave move.