View Full Version : EK - Meydan Heights preview, get ready

Pages : 1 [2]

TransitCheck
17th Jun 2014, 10:41
We can now see why we get treated like we do here.

Announcement:
Meydan villa's out in the middle of nowhere...like prison row housing.

Prospective new joiners:
Where do I sign up, I want to come to EK at any cost.

Announcement:
Bond now $45000 and 5 years

Prospective new joiners:

Announcement:
No pay raise, only a step increase even though there is out of control inflation and the cost of living is through the room.

Prospective new joiners:

I just shake my head in amazement....maybe even wobble it a little bit

kirungi1
17th Jun 2014, 10:50
@ SOPS, #258

No harm in asking :confused:; after all seeing is believing for some - so they say!

ManaAdaSystem
17th Jun 2014, 10:57
So who is joining at the moment?
LoCo and subcontinent?

It really depends where you come from. Give the RyanAir guys a muffin, and they will stay forever. They are only used to complimentary hot water.
And Dubai = heaven for the subcontinent guys.

Who else?

I would not go anywhere near Meydan dumps!

kirungi1
17th Jun 2014, 11:57
I would not go anywhere near Meydan dumps!

:oh: If not a declaration of obsolescence then what is it? Slightly over the top for me. I'll remain objective and find basis for your declaration rather than following own advice alone. Only my thoughts!

kirungi1
17th Jun 2014, 15:23
absolutely not, thank you brokenenglish with #264 but I find no correlation with the facts of #261 and #262 above. where is that?

ManaAdaSystem
17th Jun 2014, 15:28
3 reasons for going to the ME:

Career.
Money.
Lifestyle.

EK is doubtful on all of them at the moment.

No, Meydan the soon to be cancer cluster, is not for me.

kirungi1
17th Jun 2014, 16:30
brokenenglish

You're completely entitled to your opinion,of course and I find it refreshing that someone bothers to follow my posts with such interest. I will not attempt to argue your line of approach as it's a personal attack and one directional :=

I would step out of the box and look at things in a round; beyond the flight deck or outside the aircraft - as a friend of mine recently put it in another thread.

I agree with everything here but I don't want to accept these arguments subjectively - call it supporting an opponent in order to understand their claim better and that's my point.:ok:

Whether it's necessary or not on this occasion to demonstrate your intelligence & comprehension - arbitrate, without an attempt to substantiate the merits of meydan et la, is a matter of deep regret.

aslan1982
18th Jun 2014, 15:30
guys
having seen them first hand up close and inside i am pretty happy with them and so is the wife.
They r big 4 bedroom 5 bath. Garden is crap. Can live with that. beautiful communal pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna and lots of loungers.
Its 12 mins drive from dubai mall and 15 to airport.
Shopping malls going in and a Spinnies going on the doorstep. It has potential.

I can understand guys being pissed at been taken out of their current villas and sent here but for the new joiners who don't know any better its fine.

If u don't like it, take the money and sort urself out. look at the allowance as being 30000+ euros off ur mortgage bill every year.

pdoffed
18th Jun 2014, 17:25
aslan1982 how do you work out they are big? the reality they are no more than a town house at the best, like a VIP labour camp they are very small compared to what is required for a family in summer as you need very inch of space to survive, a family with teenagers it is going to be cramped!

The only bath is in the master bedroom and it is a tiny half bath, the 5th bathroom you refer to is a box in the entrance with a toilet that any guest will be embarrassed to use as everyone will be able to hear any body functions.

The pool is not functional as it is not even wired to the mains yet, it is using a generator! We are told it will not open until there is a life guard on duty!

Your comment about taking the allowance, you sound like management?

But I do agree with the comment its fine for new joiners as they can see what a joke the company accommodation has become, and prior to joining base their decision on if they can survive in a cramped town house with no garden to speak of. That's if they shown Meydan at the selection days, or are the recruiters to embarrassed to show Meydan and still using Silicon as the standard expected!

Keep taking the pills they seem to be working!

General Dogsbody
18th Jun 2014, 18:46
Look at the Guys Profile(previous posts give it all away).. It all makes sense!

The T's & C's will continue the downward spiral because there appears to be no shortage of guys who will be happy JUST to receive a salary every month..:ugh:

SuckItUp
19th Jun 2014, 08:22
Sorry for the diversion from the topic gents, but.........

"kirungi1", if you do ever make it in this industry, you wont be able to come to the middle east, as they don't allow drugs!!!

kirungi1
19th Jun 2014, 08:53
Sorry for the diversion from the topic gents, but.........

FYI, and ladies, OK? :D
I won't spoil your appetite as you're obviously back to your usual mood but I would stick to that prescription, Seriously!

Keep inflating your expectations and that feeling of a bit of yourself, reality is bound to arrive anyway - in one way or the other. Learn to embrace change, as long as it's sustainable. That's it, period!
Directing your anger at me, won't change a thing. I won't be coming to Emirates for the second time because I haven't left yet, your loosing something - hope you won't soon be landing at Y instead of X :=
Btw, what are you smoking?

Substantiate meydan, not individuals. Stake your claims. I'll go and live there. Now go hang!

Gulfstreamaviator
19th Jun 2014, 11:07
Why not one picture.. This is not even a EY thread.

Glf

aslan1982
19th Jun 2014, 21:55
Bath to me means bathroom. I would have said six if i considered that out house as one

Listen they r not perfect these houses but not as terrible as people make out to be.
I will be using them for a year or two till we find a place we would like to live.

And no it doesn't take a genius to figure out who i work for.

And before u say the allowance wont cover the mortgage, i know that already. But it will pay off a chuck of it.

777X
19th Jun 2014, 22:37
Aslan, is your plan to buy in UAE to get out of company accom a couple of years from now?

aslan1982
20th Jun 2014, 06:09
777x,

Its just an idea to be honest. I will be taking the acc and the furniture allowance at the start and then see what happens.

Id rather buy my own stuff even if it costs more than they provide. Sure its only a loan anyway. They could give me a million, id still have to pay it back

clearedfortaxi
25th Jun 2014, 07:08
http://www.emirates247.com/news/jumeirah-jinns-giving-residents-a-spookfest-2011-04-19-1.382791

ummnour
28th Aug 2014, 04:56
My dear dwellers of Meydan Heights. Is there a forum page/facebook group where we can communicate? We have moved in 2 weeks ago and would like to get to know the neighbours, share information (like nearest grocery store) share community news, concerns.. right now we are in quite a fix. Both our school going children could not be in the same school and NO school transport company would pick them up from Meydan Heights! Anyone facing similar problem?

ekwhistleblower
28th Aug 2014, 05:22
You could knock!?!

TransitCheck
28th Aug 2014, 07:16
If you were forced into Meydan and have been at EK for a while, I feel sorry for you......

If you just joined EK despite ALL OF THE INFO and warnings that current employees posted on here about the negatives of this company, employee treatment, and the accommodation locations, I have no advice or sympathy for you.

helen-damnation
28th Aug 2014, 07:21
Helpful….. NOT :hmm:

ummnour
28th Aug 2014, 12:30
Yes, we have been forced to move here from Jumeirah. And Yes, I could knock every door to check who has school going children that has problems with school transportation. Thank you very much.

QCM
28th Aug 2014, 15:22
ummnour check PM

allaru
7th Sep 2014, 03:49
Got an SMS regarding this.

Welcome to the Meydan Trading Post (http://Www.meydantradingpost.com)

Some useful photos for prospective residents.

ChillinInTheDesert
7th Sep 2014, 04:10
Good idea that they have added some colour with painting the facades. But there were no better colours? Orange, really?

desertwanderer
17th Sep 2014, 11:30
Hi, does anyone know the exact size of the meydan townhouse in square feet..? :confused:

QCM
20th Sep 2014, 10:39
You mean in square inches?

ChillinInTheDesert
21st Sep 2014, 16:41
What is the definition of "700 four-bedroom units constructed in the Meydan Villas plot"? Units, as in apartments?

Saltaire
21st Sep 2014, 17:47
It's called District 11? As in the slave labour district from the movie the Hunger Games? Wow, we're going to be famous!! What a perfect name. :eek:

District 11 - The Hunger Games Wiki (http://thehungergames.wikia.com/wiki/District_11)

desertwanderer
23rd Sep 2014, 19:50
Yeah either one.. Wanted to know the size, i doubt if anyone has the floor plan yet!

cf680c2b
24th Sep 2014, 05:59
2000 people -1 small gym - 3 treadmills. I predict conflict and discontent. The pool is big but not big enough for full occupancy.

Payscale
24th Sep 2014, 17:42
Did you expect a pool for 2000 people?. EK gives you 4000 USD a month for free if you want to buy your own. Maybe you should consider that? The key to some happiness in Dubai is to live well. If you get a knot in your stomach every time you go home, you need to make a change

BigGeordie
25th Sep 2014, 12:32
Payscale, I agree with you and moved out of company housing as quickly as I could. Best thing I ever did in Dubai. Trouble is, if you need more than 2 bedrooms $4,000 doesn't go very far.

Vortex Thing
26th Sep 2014, 00:20
No but $4,000 is $4,000 more than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!

Top it up yourself like everyone else everywhere in the world has to!

You can buy a nice villa for waaay less than half your salary be you FO or Capt which is more than you can do where I hail from. So not really seeing the issue here. If you want company accommodation take it, if you don't well then don't take it!

The reality is that it's not as salubrious as it was in years gone by. Well isn't that the way of the world. It's hardly a huge issue everyone still gets paid the same or more just harder to fill up the second Hummer or pay for boat parts but not exactly heading for the breadline here are you chaps!

flaphandlemover
26th Sep 2014, 08:23
Well Vortex, i don't get paid the same as when I came.

Back then I had 77h planned for the same money and at least 14-16 days off, with a block of 9 days off inbetween.

Now I have been working 90+ hours... Ohhh you are right.. Here it is... I DO GET PAID THE SAME...

Glad you are happy the way the company treats you and erodes our contract more and more...

I guess they are counting on people like you.

I can't wait for the next crash.... Funny. In the newspaper back then there as never a crash reported...
Why are they now saying there was a crash:E

vfenext
26th Sep 2014, 10:22
Flap, one of your buckets is full. Move on!

Outatowner
26th Sep 2014, 14:30
VFE you may be right about that however I suspect one (or both) of YOUR buckets has a hole in it or you'd notice it filling up too.

desertwanderer
29th Oct 2014, 08:00
The villa size anyone?? Do you think it's about 3000 sq feet?

knifedge
2nd Nov 2014, 17:31
Almost 6 month In, ISOLATED, UNSAFE AND UNSECURED !

No mini market.. A can of milk is a 10 kms drive BY THE TIME YOU GET BACK..

Dangerous turn from access road.. it is a matter of time before something happens..

Mayor maintenance issues disrupting your life daily..

Low security level, having contractor workers SLEEPING IN THE ROOFS, loitering around 24/7 watching kids and families moves..Things missing from garages, by the way..

THEY ARE NOT INVESTING ON IT ANYMORE..

colo18
10th Nov 2014, 16:30
Hey guys

I am doing my interview at this time and tomorrow will go for the tour.

Are this villas you talking "badly" about the only ones for new joiners?

If I join is as FO and I have 4 kids. Is it possible to find a suitable 4 bedroom villa within the allowance they provide to live on your own?

I will appreciate any help in this matter.

Thanks

nakbin330
10th Nov 2014, 16:57
In short ... NO!

Allowance less than 200k, all villas > 230k.

ChillinInTheDesert
10th Nov 2014, 17:16
No. Stick with company provided. Meydan may not be the bees knees, but its a damn side better than taking the allowance.

SEAMASTER
10th Nov 2014, 17:45
Slight change of subject but what schools have you guys chosen for your children to attend who live at meydan ?

Rgds

Seamaster

Am NOT Sure
10th Nov 2014, 18:35
I chose Bangladesh academic school

This is the only way my kids will remain content with what we provide :}

Vortex Thing
11th Nov 2014, 08:37
Don't pick your school based on your location the standard of the schools is not the same. Pick the best school for your academic needs and then worry about logisitics later.

To be honest if you are in Meydan all the good schools are in striking distance.

Easy choices are DESS, Kings, Repton, JESS and DC are all easy from there but suggest you look at the thread on schools as ther is of course debate on what consitutes a good school and your nationality will also affect your needs.

Just don't make the mistake of thinking that any school run by GEMS can in any way be good!

Colo18 if you take your own villa you will pay 70-100k more a year when you fator in bill and other costs that is over 8000 per month of your disposable income. That is if you are lucky! Your choice but only you know if that is worth it for your family or not depnding on your personal financial situation. 172k does not go far in the current rental market so agree with above that you are looking at upwards of 200k plus bills.

As a new joiner you may want to take advantage of opting out as you can go into company accomodation but once you move out then you're out for ever but do so knowing how much it will cost more!

ekwhistleblower
11th Nov 2014, 11:43
Colo,

There are lots of properties below 200k some in good areas, it all depends on your personal circumstances. You can also buy 4 beds for between 2-3m if not going straight to premium locations and 5 beds at the villa for about 3.6m. When looking at economics if you did buy for say 3.5m with a 2.5m mortgage you would pay 2k/ month under the allowance with a 25 year loan. If the price went nowhere you would make equity with the company paying.

Try:

4 bedroom villas for rent in Dubai | propertyfinder.ae (http://www.propertyfinder.ae/en/search?c=2&l=0.1&q=&t=35&rp=y&pf=170000&pt=200000&bf=4&bt=4&ft=&ob=pa)

Avoid off plan unless with a reputable developer EMAAR, DP etc.

http://www.propertyfinder.ae/en/search?c=1&l=2.207&q=&t=35&pf=2500000&pt=4000000&bf=5&bt=5&ft=

colo18
11th Nov 2014, 13:52
Thanks for the advice guys.

I saw the villas today and I think is to my best interest to take that one! Space is good for my family and no need to worry about anything else.

However schooling seems to be a problem since they took me to Uptown (amazing) but won't be able to afford it. Have to put 66000 out of my pocket!

So any advice in that regard will be highly appreciated. I have 4 kids and the last is not cover. Apart from the fact that they pay 42k and the cost is 50k!

Cheers guys

SOPS
11th Nov 2014, 14:44
Those are the facts. The fourth child will come straight out of your pocket, for everything. Be careful, it's not cheap.

donpizmeov
11th Nov 2014, 15:27
Colo,

Remember you will be on the FO salary for a long time. There are some 1700 FOs on the list in front of you.

Your fourth child is not covered by EK for education nor for tickets home. The fourth child costs more for medical cover, yet receives coverage less than the first three.

You might as well consider your salary reduced by Aed 5 to 6k per month just to educate and get this child home once per year. That doesn't include the Aed 2 to 2.5k per month (bus costs extra) to make up for the shortfall in education costs of the other three.

As SOPS said. Think long and hard about this.

777boyindubai
11th Nov 2014, 17:50
Colo,

Good advice from Don and some of the other posters.

Please think carefully. The very best of luck to you.

TransitCheck
11th Nov 2014, 19:14
Colo,

In addition to what Don said, I would take a trip to spinneys market here in Dubai and do a pretend shop for a weeks worth of groceries for your family. Add the total and multiply by 4.3 to get your monthly expenditure. You will find that after the high cost of groceries, going out to eat, paying school fees, medical fees, etc....that you will probably be losing money from your savings...not adding to it.

Although, you could be losing less than you are now if you don't have a job but if you accept EK's offer, you are then stuck here with a bond for 5 years while something better may open up that can accommodate your family situation better.

Regards.
TC

nosegears
11th Nov 2014, 20:46
Colo

Please check your mp

The best of luck for you

Regards
nosegears

ChillinInTheDesert
13th Nov 2014, 02:25
Re schools, it baffles my why they show Uptown Mirdif. Yes I've heard good things about that school, but the pricing is ridiculous. If I were residing in Meydan, the first 2 schools I would seriously consider would be JESS Jumeirah or DESS. Both convenient to Meydan, both cheaper than Uptown and both with a more desirable reputation than Uptown. Lets make this clear before Uptown parents pounce on me, I am not knocking Uptown, but ask most people in Dubai what school they'd choose out of the 3 and most, without a doubt, would say JESS or DESS. There is also Safa school which is close to Meydan, heard good things about that one too.

Considering you have a 4th child, his/her schooling alone is enough to seriously hinder your savings on an FO package, not to mention medical. Should (god forbid) the 4th child need hospitalisation for something serious, then that could empty your bank account.

I don't like to be a scaremonger, but having a 4th child here, under no coverage from the company would make me seriously consider all my options.

All the best.

airbusgirl66
13th Nov 2014, 02:53
JESS Jumeriah and Arabian Ranches are both excellent schools, but I can only imagine how long it would take to get 4 children into the same school. The waiting list can be very long for those schools (3 years in our case), and depending upon year level, you may have some of the children at one school and some at the other. It would be best to get them on the waiting list, but actively pursue another school for initial startup here.

colo18
13th Nov 2014, 11:08
Thank you guys for all your inputs

Feeling scared now!

However for all my family my premium insurance is not that bad. 158 USD per month. Much better than back home

But the school... That is an issue! Will check the ones CHILLIN recommend

Once again thanks for your help.

The other option I have is Air Japan. (Commuting contract) should be calling me soon.

Regards

donpizmeov
14th Nov 2014, 15:30
Colo, the premium might look ok for medical. But what coverage does that give the fourth chid? Not the same as the other three is it? Is it enough? When the eldest becomes too old for medical cover, and you have only three in the scheme, the fourth child is still considered as an extra, for the extra cost and lesser coverage.

When you, your wife and three eldest kids get ALTs, you will be forking out for a firm ticket for child number four. Hope your not needing to travel too far. They aint cheap. When the fourth child becomes too old for ELTs (24) or ALTs (19) as appropriate, the fourth child will then become eligible for tickets.

Good luck with schools, but the other ones aren't that much cheaper.

Think long hard and be honest with the decision making on this. Once the skill test is complete, you have 5yrs to do or a bond to repay.

Good luck,

the don

colo18
15th Nov 2014, 09:57
Thanks Don

Will do the homework

Actually faced exactly the same situation in QR in regards to the 4th child.

Back home in Panama I have to pay for EVERYONE and for EVERYTHING!

So lets see...

SOPS
15th Nov 2014, 11:09
The clue is in the words....back home....

burnable gomi
15th Nov 2014, 11:18
Just my opinion of course, but I think you'd be better off at Air Japan. It's a good commuting contract. You can get 14 consecutive days off per month. Live wherever you want and you usually start your command upgrade at the end of your first 5 year contract. That's probably faster than EK will be these days. Wherever you choose to live will likely be significantly cheaper than Dubai.

Dropp the Pilot
15th Nov 2014, 11:31
Hiring link for Air Japan?

DCS99
15th Nov 2014, 15:24
With 4 kids at EK?
No way.

colo18
16th Nov 2014, 04:42
Having second thoughts now...

The Air Japan contract is through Rishworth (Amanda Barrett)

Woopoops
16th Nov 2014, 06:26
Ekwistleblower,
Like your mortgage maths., but then, you should've perhaps taken some time to explain the fee structure, especially for the benefit of the new joiners. You say it's based on 1mil. deposit. How many people do you think can afford 1 mil. deposit on a current package, even if you are in the left seat? Perhaps if you're debt free and no kids or they're grown ups? Not to mention that 1 mil. will have to go: 30% towards mortgage (that is fine, I suppose, even though a bit rich for most countries standards), 4% - land department and 2% to the agent. Staggering 36% - just to get started. Then, you have to add further for DEWA expat.: charge/tax, whatever it is these days, maintenance and community fees (very steep for some areas and on the rise across Dubai).
A lot of guys in the right seat say that their budgets are very tight these days.

Rock320
16th Nov 2014, 12:25
Try the neighboring airline, they pay for 4 kids...

ekwhistleblower
16th Nov 2014, 16:24
Woops,

Few of the other ex-pats in Dubai throw over $4,000 away each month to stay in the company's free cell, sorry house! Goodness 50k, that is more than the average salary in the US and UK.

I know just one thing, without getting into the market and accessing the extra cash I have zero chance of retiring well. With it I might! The fees you describe are valid but don't add up to anywhere near what you say.

But I won't convince you so won't bother. Enjoy Meydan, life without parole!

Overtimer997
16th Nov 2014, 18:13
Whistle - We are stuck my friend between rocks and hard places!!
The main reason I and many others did not buy a place apart from not having 1 mill+ spare is simple. Should the market take a correction and I mean a big one, you may be left in negative equity on your property and your provident fund WILL be raided when you leave. I know how much I can leave here with should things go bad but many in your situation do not. I'm not saying you did a bad thing especially if you bought in better times but buying now with thousands of villas and apartments coming on line seems to be not such a smart decision especially for a new joiner.
I agree that Meydan is a total joke and just not fit for purpose but this is what the company have forced upon us. This decision will bite the company in the ass, as the word is well and truly out on just how bad things out there are. I was shown a letter form accommodation outlining the 2500 dirham charge for having a number 2 upstairs!!! Unbelievable, just unbelievable....mind you I do find myself saying that very frequently recently!

colo18
16th Nov 2014, 19:54
Thanks Rock

I am aware of that in AUH however for some reason never been called there for interview. Of course that is a better option in my situation.

And in regards to housing I have to stick with Meydan. No choice!

Actually I am thinking too much... Still need to hear back from EK

Cheers guys

helen-damnation
17th Nov 2014, 02:59
I'm hearing that those in 4 bed accom in DIC have been given notice to move after Christmas.

Can anyone confirm? If so, bad news and blows a hole in the theory that other grades (non FD) and FD not normally entitled would fill phase 1.

VLS with ice
17th Nov 2014, 05:10
4 bedroom DIC eviction letter is a fact...

airbusgirl66
17th Nov 2014, 05:33
Yes, it's true. 4 bedroom villas at DIC and being offered Jebel Ali, or Meydan accommodation. Have to move by June of next year.

Mister Warning
17th Nov 2014, 05:40
Oh no. DIC was a real oasis in the cesspit. Sorry for you all. Is it possible to stay there and take the allowance?

ChillinInTheDesert
17th Nov 2014, 05:41
Sorry for my ignorance, what/where is DIC?

Mister Warning
17th Nov 2014, 05:47
Dubai Internet City villas in Umm Suqeim. Near the Palm. Across the road from Black Palace beach.

Sheikh Your Bootie
17th Nov 2014, 06:05
DIC(Dubai Internet City) is Al Sufouh Habibi. I have heard from someone directly who has had the letter. Nice villas, good location. Shame.

SyB :zzz:

ChillinInTheDesert
17th Nov 2014, 06:09
Thanks muchly

Mister Warning
17th Nov 2014, 06:14
Sheikh you are of course 100% correct - just thought that Umm Suq would be better known than Al Suf LMFAO. BTW I was the third person to move in there when they were under construction and had many happy years there.
This policy may be the proverbial straw....

ekwhistleblower
17th Nov 2014, 06:39
Over,

Yep, I understand your POV. As to a correction, it could well happen and as always it depends on your timeline and individual circumstances. If you buy with a timeline which means the company covers the costs it is a no lose proposition. I flew with someone the other day who has made a choice to go to RAK and is buying a great property whilst coining it in. It meets his personal circumstances but might not meet many others.

Pilots from countries used to apartment living find it easier than those who want clapperboard walls, shingles on the roof and a ride on tractor for the ranch. If doom and gloom hits Dubai, I am pretty sure the rest of the world will not be immune, nor will the Provident Fund. Heck there might even be more terrorists in Londinistan than here!

harry the cod
17th Nov 2014, 20:10
Give me another financial downturn anytime. The last recovery saw the biggest Provident funds gain after 18 months buying cheap. A volatile market will always work best for dollar cost averaging so never look a gift horse in the mouth if you face one!

It would also represent the third opportunity for those who didn't jump on the Dubai property ladder on the first two 'cheap' occasions. No excuses this time!

Harry

Rim-job
20th Nov 2014, 08:57
Just had 2 friends get their moving letter from Semnar. I'm sure many more are in the same situation.

Their move to Meydan is to be completed by May, 2015. Looks like the ball is moving... :mad:

I guess I better ramp up my EK exit plan. There is no way myself or my family will be moving to that $h!t hole. Unbelievable that EK would really think people would welcome a move to such a ridiculous labour camp style housing facility.

Talk about a downward spiral.

sheiken around
20th Nov 2014, 10:04
Hi Rim,

Just claryifying...did you mean Semmer (DSO) Villas ?

I hadn't heard of any movement from there. Are your friends pilots or management/engineering?

Thanks for the update...

flying willy
20th Nov 2014, 11:03
Yes Rim, Please clarify, like requested as above!

Rim-job
20th Nov 2014, 12:38
Sorry guys,

My apologies on the spelling. I meant Semmer. :E

I live in Cedre so it's not often I have to spell the word Semmer. Nonetheless, this move potentially affects us all who live in DSO.

Both fellas live in the Gate 1 area. And both have received their move notice. I'm not sure how EK are deciding on who is moving and who is not. Maybe they are doing it by street. Maybe it's just a random thing. Either way, guys are moving. Both are pilots. One chap is B777 and the other is A330. Both are Captains.

I drove put to Meydan last month. What a dump!! It seriously looks like a labour camp. :ugh:

Trader
20th Nov 2014, 13:32
Not to dispute this-but it seems odd to move people from Semmer since, as far as I know, there is still 5 or 6 years on the leases.

Unless they plan on moving management in!?

Rim-job
20th Nov 2014, 13:42
There is nothing to dispute Trader... the facts speak for themselves.

I've seen the moving notice myself. It's official. This wasn't from a "friend of a friend". Pilots are moving whether we like it or not.

Does it make sense... selfishly I hope not because I won't be moving to that labour camp. Nor will my family.

ChillinInTheDesert
20th Nov 2014, 16:51
Here are my thoughts on the few Semmer families we've now heard have received their notice to move.

With all the compounds they've moved so far to Meydan, all families from those compounds have been moved.

With the few families from Semmer (3 in total now, I believe) who have been handed notice to move, I am thinking maybe their villas are going to higher management who've also had to be relocated and want Semmer. Maybe these current families who have to move from Semmer have the more desirable villas with desirable location/plot size within the Semmer compound. Maybe, probably not. Who really knows anymore, certainly not us.

XKV8
20th Nov 2014, 17:23
Gentlemen

I would suggest that we all take the allowance and find anything better than ELC (Emirates Labour Camp). That way all the Captains costing the company 192,900/yr and whatever the F/O's are getting would make management take a second look at what they are doing (probably not).

I know this is wishful thinking because once we opt out, we're out. There has to be a way to make them wake up....

The letter came from Ali Al Soori, Shk Ahmed's right hand man and the next in command, so there's probably little we can do to change the eviction notice unless we all voice our discontent to Alan Stealey. Please write him your letters expressing your discontent and your impending divorce's, nervous breakdowns, stress etc etc.

If he gets enough letters coming across his desk.... I feel it's the only possible solution out of the hell hole.

Any pilots who are successful in obtaining the Pilot Interviewing position....can you please pass along the word to potential new joiners just how absolutely ****ty it's becoming here! :ok:

Bindair Dundat
20th Nov 2014, 18:02
What an absolutely genius way to prop up the property market in Dubai. Let's force the worst possible accommodation scenario down peoples' throats so that they will have no other choice then to 1) buy 2) pay grossly overprice rent until……the DXB property market crashes again. It is such a brilliant way of money changing hands there. Who needs oil when you have the greatest commodity going…expats lured there under the false pre tense of a tax free existence who have no other choice than to pay through the nose for substandard things. It's great because it all lines the pockets of about a half dozen families there.
I thought DSO was a massive step down when everyone was shipped there. Never could of dreamt it could get worse. Everyday I am so eternally grateful we voted with our feet and left the pit behind. Not one positive has happened since we left…..

harry the cod
21st Nov 2014, 06:28
Do you think if we applied the CRM assertiveness model, things will change. it must work or they wouldn't teach it....would they?

Dear Captain AS, please can I stay in my current accommodation as "I'M UNCOMFORTABLE" with moving to Meydan.

There, that should work!

Harry

ruserious
21st Nov 2014, 08:37
Classic Harry, love it

glofish
21st Nov 2014, 09:16
Harry, love it but you forgot the ;) !

Some posters will think you're dead serious ......

flying willy
21st Nov 2014, 14:25
Harry,

You forgot SUGGEST.

Dear AS, may I Suggest you slide Meydan up your AR*#

PositiveRate876
21st Nov 2014, 16:21
How does the new intervention model work again?

ASK
SUGGEST
DIRECT
RESIGN

SOPS
1st Jan 2015, 11:18
Hearing of a lot of movement all of a sudden in DIC.

Desdihold
1st Jan 2015, 11:20
Where is DIC ?

Sorry to hear this....

SOPS
1st Jan 2015, 11:24
Internet city

Desdihold
1st Jan 2015, 11:26
Thanks,
It looks as if most of the people being told to move are on the water side of shk zayed rd........

TineeTim
1st Jan 2015, 13:01
Drove past a long-time empty villa in Semmer today, I see new tenants moving in their things. I know there was discussion earlier about whether DSO residents were on the way out. Judging by that, I'd say no.

ChillinInTheDesert
1st Jan 2015, 13:25
There is still a load of villas in the Safa area that will prob be asked to move before DSO. Plus there are still a few around Jumeirah area that will no doubt be moved soon, one would think.

alfie7_1985
13th Jan 2015, 11:34
Any updates (and pictures) as to how new crew are settling into Meydan Heights?

Is the end game that ALL Emirates pilots will reside here (incl single / married no family) or will they still have other areas of Dubai that will be used to support the growth?

Not trying to start a war or open up what seems to be a sore wound with the current crew just interested in Emirates's future plans for flight deck crew.

Cheers

The Outlaw
13th Jan 2015, 15:32
The plan is to cram all pilots into Meydan 1, 2 and the other camp out by Jebel Ali within 3 years.

If you have no need for a garden, like living in an ant farm and not using toilet paper then Meydan 1 is for you.

If you like being in full control of the company then any of the camps will do.

There have been some who have tunneled out, some have escaped under the cover of darkness in hot air balloons, some even crawled through the sewer pipes in filth I can't even image ( 3 football fields ) to freedom.