PDA

View Full Version : Skills test validity

nick14
19th Feb 2014, 10:43
Hello all,

I have been searching for any EASA Implementing Rules on the validity of a skills test. I'm sure I saw a regulation somewhere stating that the application must be submitted within 6 months of the skills test.

I'm mainly after ATPL but other licences or ratings would help.

Whopity
19th Feb 2014, 14:30
An interesting question. The only reference to 6 months that I have seen is that the Skill Test must be started within 6 months of the completion of training, and the Skills Test must be completed within a 6 month period.

nick14
20th Feb 2014, 08:59
I might be going mad then or maybe it was in an examiners manual?

Whopity
22nd Feb 2014, 18:15
Found it. FCL.725(c) Skill test. An applicant for a class or type rating shall pass a skill test in accordance with Appendix 9 to this Part to demonstrate the skill required for the safe operation of the applicable class or type of aircraft.
The applicant shall pass the skill test within a period of 6 months after commencement of the class or type rating training course and within a period of 6 months preceding the application for the issue of the class or type rating.

nick14
22nd Feb 2014, 19:11
Brilliant thanks!

Although it doesn't concern licences. The Authority seem to abide by 12 months for an ATPL LST so I guess that's what we shall work towards.

Thanks though

Level Attitude
22nd Feb 2014, 19:29
Although it doesn't concern licencesWould concern a PPL Skill Test as that is also a test for an SEP Rating
and the CAA (at least) will not issue a Licence unless there is a valid
Rating to attach to it.

nick14
22nd Feb 2014, 20:16
Interesting as the ATPL cannot be issued without a type rating either.

Whopity
23rd Feb 2014, 16:29
the CAA (at least) will not issue a Licence unless there is a valid
Rating to attach to it. Oh yes they do; I have seen licences with no ratings in them at all!

Level Attitude
23rd Feb 2014, 18:58
Oh yes they do; I have seen licences with no ratings in them at all!LAPLs aside.
Would these Licences have been issued due to a (dare I suggest such a
thing?) mistake on the part of the CAA?

Whopity
23rd Feb 2014, 20:06
That was my first reaction, but it appears that the CAA will issue an EASA licence with no ratings in it if you don't have a current rating but held one in the past 5 years. Also if you forget to include the rating details on SRG1104. Remember, a JAR-FCL licence is an EASA licence and can be re-issued without a current rating. This makes it more important to check licences because there are pilots who believe it must be OK because it was sent by the CAA.

GipsyMagpie
24th Feb 2014, 19:03
I have an easy licence with no ratings. Perhaps an initial issue cannot have one without ratings. In my case my jar rating has no easa equivalent....so blank licence...until next Friday that is!

Bernardo.andr
29th Apr 2014, 18:48
Hi guys,

I did all my PPL Course but I had some problems with my medical and busted the 6 months.

What do I need to do to get current again and test?

Ps: I finished 7 months ago. :s

Whopity
30th Apr 2014, 15:45
Firstly, go back to your school and ask their advice. Under EASA you will have to retake the skill test and as its over 6 months some form of training. If Portugal is still under the JAA system, you may get away with it.

S-Works
30th Apr 2014, 19:02
Portugal is full EASA and mad keen for sticking to the rules.....

BEagle
1st May 2014, 07:17
In Jun 2013, the TAG/SSCC/FCL group agreed that the period should be 24 months:

(UK CAA) further explained that there are time limits for ratings, however there are no limits for applying for a licence. i.e. CPL with SEP, only applies after 7 months. The main concern is with applicants that have passed the initial skill test and are late with applying. It was suggested that the Agency could make the text clearer and it was proposed to include this into the task mentioned the day before. Group agreed on a 24 months period to be counted from the day of the skill test.

As far as I'm aware, this has yet to become official policy....

BigGrecian
1st May 2014, 11:37
My personal opinion is that is should be no longer than the shortest length of duration of any privileges that would be granted by the licence/rating.

Which makes it 12 months in my understanding as the ME or IR are the shortest duration.

BEagle
1st May 2014, 15:35
BigGrecian, I agree. I wasn't at that meeting, but suspect that the poorly-written minutes on the topic refer to PPL SEP Skill Test validity only.

Level Attitude
1st May 2014, 19:26
Found it. FCL.725Quote:
(c) Skill test. An applicant for a class or type rating shall pass a skill test in accordance with Appendix 9 to this Part to demonstrate the skill required for the safe operation of the applicable class or type of aircraft.
The applicant shall pass the skill test within a period of 6 months after commencement of the class or type rating training course and within a period of 6 months preceding the application for the issue of the class or type rating. Whopity's quote, from Post 4, is correct

However this must be a (another) mistake from EASA.

Surely it should be pass the skill test within 6 months after completion of the training. Ie 6 months from when a HoT signs the Training Complete Certificate.

Level Attitude
1st May 2014, 19:33
From Post 15
Group agreed on a 24 months period to be counted from the day of the skill test. From Post 17
written minutes on the topic refer to PPL SEP Skill Test validity only. Please NO - way too confusing:

The Skill Test has to be taken after all Theoretical Knowledge exams are passed - and these (also) are only valid for 24 months for PPL Issue.