PDA

View Full Version : FAA cert into Europe

Squeegee Longtail
17th Feb 2014, 21:11
Quick question which I cannot find an answer to:

Can I (as a UK national/resident) still fly (VFR) a UK permit a/c (LAA Permit) on an FAA Private cert into Europe on this license, and if so, is there anything on the EASA horizon to stop me doing this?

Sorry if this has been covered here, but I cannot find anything on it specifically.

Thanks.
SL

Whopity
17th Feb 2014, 23:17
From a licensing perspective you are authorised under Article 6262 (1) Subject to paragraph (2), this article applies to any licence which authorises the holder
to act as a member of the flight crew of an aircraft and is:
(a) granted under the law of a Contracting State other than the United Kingdom but
which is not a Part-FCL licence;
(2) This article does not apply to such a licence if it authorises the holder to act as a
student pilot only.
(3) Subject to paragraph (6), for the purposes of this Part, a licence to which this article
applies is, unless the CAA gives a direction to the contrary, deemed to be a licence
rendered valid under this Order.
Some may tell you the Order only applies in the UK in which case you should be aware of Art 247 247 (1) Except where the context otherwise requires, the provisions of this Order, in so far
as they apply (whether by express reference or otherwise):
(a) to aircraft registered in the United Kingdom, apply to such aircraft wherever they
may be;So long as the aircraft is permitted to be there, you can legally fly it.

bookworm
18th Feb 2014, 08:07
So long as the aircraft is permitted to be there, you can legally fly it.

Bear in mind that permit aircraft don't have the same rights under the Chicago Convention as those with an Annex 8 C of A. So while it is (currently) your right to fly a G-reg PA28 in another Contracting State with a non-UK licence rendered valid by the UK, that right does not extend to permit aircraft.

Whopity
18th Feb 2014, 08:29
The LAA have an article re Permit Aircraft here (http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/engineering/TechnicalLeaflets/Operating%20An%20Aircraft/TL%202.08%20Travelling%20abroad%20in%20a%20Permit%20Aircraft .pdf)

Squeegee Longtail
18th Feb 2014, 15:01
Whopity- thanks for the link. I must have been getting confused with the requirement for my previous a/c, which had a CAA permit (Yak 52) rather than an LAA. Different rules apply for that.