PDA

View Full Version : Working in a foreign country away from close relatives and friends

GR340
14th May 2002, 19:22
Dear fellow PPRUNERs, as a wannabe i am trying to eliminate
every single parameter that will keep me away of my ultimate
goal, which is working as a professional pilot.

For that reason, and keeping in mind that in my country there
are very small possibilitys of getting a job as a professional pilot,
i would like to hear from anyone working in a foreign country,
how it really feels being away from close relatives and friends
and if finally it is worth it to be away from them.

Thank you all in advance.

redsnail
14th May 2002, 21:49
I haven't as yet started working yet I have been studying in Britain for the past year. I am fortunate that I am fluent in English. Also, I had managed to aquire some good friends via this site.
However, not being able to go home on the weekend, ring a mate or any thing like that is painful. I had some family hassles last year and I nearly chucked it all in to go home. Don't underestimate the sense of isolation. Make some friends as soon as you can so you aren't by yourself all the time. Use the internet to send emails etc home and if possible, get your family on line too. Regular contact helps.
Good luck. :cool:

Captain Stable
14th May 2002, 22:00
Don't listen to reddo - she's only partially fluent in English - the rest of it is Strine! :D

Yes, it can be tough being away from family and friends. Make new ones. It's the only way. And use whatever methods you need to to keep in touch.

And ask yourself whether you'd rather be there, not working, or here, doing what you've worked so hard to be able to do.

I'm not prompting for an answer there - it's a question only you can answer. I've been in a lot of very strange areas of the world, away from family and loved ones - and you know what? They were always (for some strange reason) glad to see me come home. But the travel, the widening of my horizons, the widening of my acquaintances, was most definitely worth it. For me.

For you? Only you can answer.

Paddington*
14th May 2002, 22:09
Just see it as a short term means to an end and it'll be worth it. You'll be back home one day.
Good luck and I hope you make some new PPRUNE friends along the way!

outofsynch
14th May 2002, 22:16
definitely worth every bit of homesickness, and lonelyness just to be doing the job you love. Dont hesitate, if you get the chance, go for it, i am convinced you wont regeret it, if you really want to fly.

411A
14th May 2002, 22:36
...and, as a side benefit...if you choose the right location...no taxes. An extra big smile at your bankbook each month.

Chooch
15th May 2002, 08:43
Just got back to Blighty from a 3 years stint in SE Asia - wife and kid were in UK all the time I was away...

Do it, you will go through phases, but set a time limit to be away (I would say a year or two for the experience), and come back as often as you can afford to.

You will find the only thing that changes is your perspective.

Trust me !

;)

GR340
15th May 2002, 11:56
Thanks for you help fellow PPRUNERs.You really helped me a lot.