PDA

View Full Version : Which logbook?

steftn
5th Jan 2014, 03:28
Hi,

which logbook could you suggest?
Are there special ones which are very robust or hard to destroy (special paper) or even waterproof?

Thanks!

Piper.Classique
5th Jan 2014, 08:01
Any sort of logbook you like.......build your own if you want, but most people seem to go electronic, with a paper copy for carrying around.

Flyingmac
5th Jan 2014, 12:08
Get one that won't accept Parker hours. Or P2 in a Cessna 150.:ugh:
Available from www.harrypotterpilotsupplies (http://www.harrypotterpilotsupplies).

RTN11
5th Jan 2014, 18:13
Go electronic from the onset. I wish to god that I had, my first 2000 hours are still spread across three logbooks, it's so much more difficult filling in forms when they ask for things like cross country time.

glendalegoon
5th Jan 2014, 18:35
BUY the cheapest one and try to be honest with the logging of time. Buying the cheapest one gives you a few more dollars/pounds to rent a plane with.

Genghis the Engineer
5th Jan 2014, 18:54
Given that the difference between the cheapest and most expensive logbooks is probably 5 minutes flying time.

May as well buy the one you like best - everything you see in the shop is likely to be perfectly acceptable. Do buy a commercial one if planning to do more than PPL flying.

And yes, electronic these ways is the way to go. I'd suggest as-well, not instead. There are various commercial products out there - or create your own if you have an IT bent; I run mine in MS Excel, although there are numerous other ways to do it. Authorities are generally perfectly happy to receive certified printouts and don't necessarily require hard copies, although having a paper logbook for master copies of stamps and signatures is useful.

If you want waterproof - keep it in a plastic bag. If you want hardwearing - many companies sell leather covers, just make sure you bought one that you can get a leather cover for.

G

Desert185
6th Jan 2014, 03:24
The Standard Pilot Master Log, ASA SP-6

Old-school. Not a fan of paperwork, but also no fan of failed computers or obsolete software. There's just something right about a paper logbook.