PDA

View Full Version : Thank You for the..

Over+Out
13th May 2002, 16:31
I am a TMA Controller in TC. Is it really too much trouble for crews to say ''Thank you'' when it is quiet and they have been given a good short cut. We have been able to give lots of aircraft, into Luton, left/ right bases for 26/08. This involves lots of co-ordination and a thank you would be nice!
Moan finished and er...... Thank you!!

Rice Whine
13th May 2002, 17:10
Blimey....next you will be wanting envelopes full of cash at Christmas and crates of beer for each shortcut.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
13th May 2002, 18:23
I know how you feel mate... I gave someone a really tight approach once and all I got was a bottle of Champagne....

Liobian
13th May 2002, 19:17
I'm an area man in the north of the UK.
I work on the basis that I'll provide the shortcut/late descent/"no height restriction" if it is possible, and if I've the time to coordinate it all. That way I'll do my best to help the crews.
If I can't manage it (and it's generally available in the evening or weekend ) then I'm sorry, but the normal rules must apply. They're there for a reason. And I won't expect a 'thank you' - we're there to be safe and expeditious, after all.

alphaalpha
13th May 2002, 19:48
Interesting thought --
I'm a GA pilot and all my RTF training has been in the direction of trying to eliminate unneccessary words, including a brief 'thanks for the...(whatever).'

It doesn't seem quite right to me, however, and if traffic is quiet, then I 'll usually express my appreciation for helpful or smooth handling.

By the way, its not because (in a C172) I don't pay airways charges, since I more than make up for these by the duty on Avgas .

Also I should think that a 120kt a/c in a 250kt environment causes its own fair share of problems for the poor ATCO, especially in the TMAs.

Anybody wat to shoot me down??
Regards

niknak
14th May 2002, 16:00
As an experienced atco, even I know that at this stage of the flight workload is very high, and the opportunity to think "thank you" never mind say it, is very limited.
Get back in yer box and be grateful you don't work for Safeways.:p