PDA

View Full Version : CATC syllabus

Spamcan defender
13th May 2002, 12:52
Hi all,
Hopefully (:p ) starting course at CATC in October and was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what to expect when I get there. Would I be correct in saying that some subjects mirror those studied by pilots for ATPL writtens??? I am a PPL myself and have access to the latest JAR ATPL textbooks.
In the spirit of being as prepared as poss :confused: any info would be greatly appreciated as I would rather channel my efforts as efficiently as poss rather than learn something which was not relevant.

Cheers:D

Bright-Ling
13th May 2002, 13:12
Not having done an ATPL syllabus I wouldn't know.

However, subjects like Met, the ANO, Basic Nav etc will be of the same ilk. As of course will RT Phraseology.

The rest will be new to you. You will have written assessments on the Manual Of Air Traffic Services Part One and practical sim runs. Most of the written assessments require you to answer MATS pt 1 questions verbatim.

Hope this helps. Apart from topics above, just relax for 5 months before your course, and start bright eyed and bushy tailed!!

Most people pass the course without any previous aviation experience so don't worry unduly

Good luck

WX Man
13th May 2002, 18:47
I'd be interested to compare the syllabusses (syllabii?) of CATC and their counterparts in places like the west country and that place in Luxembourg, likewise other European institutions that will inevidably come under the jurisdiction of JAR (when it finds ATCO licences). It seems, from where I'm standing, that the ATC syllabus is very relavent (and, dare I say it... interesting?). However my knowledge of the JAR ATPL syllabus (albeit a little sketchy) suggests that it contains huge swathes of irrelevant material. Is the UK ATCO syllabus akin to that?

Spitoon
13th May 2002, 21:37
You may think a syllabus contains huge swathes of irrelevant material when you have to learn it for an exam. After a few years though you might be surprised how many things that seemed worthless help you out when you dredge them up from the depths of your memory in a moment of need.

Trust me. Been there, done it. :)

bill
13th May 2002, 23:47
I agree with Spitoon 100%. Take note of Bright-Lings comment about "verbatim" answers.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, the written exams are more about how good your memory is, rather than your understanding, of a topic!

This can lead to the situation where someone can pass a written exam with flying colours but fall down on the oral or practical.

So, sorry to be so negative, just because a candidate is good at the bookwork there is no certainty of that translating into being good at the job.

WX Man
20th May 2002, 14:32
My statement regarding 'huge swathes of irrelvant information' was more a question than a comment... based on my (very limited) experience of the learning objectives for the JAR ATPL. What I really meant was to ask if CATC's syllabus like that, i.e. containing large amounts of material that gets learnt for the purpose of passing the exams, and subsequently forgotten?

On the subject of the JAR ATPL learning objectives, it brings a new meaning to the phrase 'read it and weep'.

Spitoon
20th May 2002, 18:29
Hard for me to say - it's been many years since I was at the college. All I can tell you is that the training is very different these days but I am still grateful for the grounding that I got, even though some of it seemd of no use at the time. :)

egffztzx
20th May 2002, 19:19
With regard to dreaded CATC Written Exams (the trauma is still fresh in my memory form last year :eek: ) I understand that SRG are encouraging them away from verbatim answers towards multiple choice - which is way ATPL exams are done?

CATC experimented with multiple choice whilst I was there - didn't make it any easier! :confused:

CloggyUK
20th May 2002, 19:53
Hello egffztzx.

I know that changes are being made at the moment to encourage it to stop the "parrot fashion" style of exams. I doesn't seem to work because instructors don't seem to like it, cos they have to domore marking it.
I'm glad i got out not too long ago, thankfully passing all written tests. Not all in one go though!!

Spamcan defender
21st May 2002, 07:37
Thanks for all your replies folks, all very helpful. As a plus, managed to get MATS Pt1 off the SRG site, all 370-odd pages of it :eek: :eek:
Will start digesting, deliberating and conjutating and will hopefully have remembered some of it by the time I start at CATC.

egffztzx
21st May 2002, 08:01
"It doesn't seem to work because instructors don't seem to like it, cos they have to do more marking it."

Ahhh....Instructors - such fond memories! :) :) :)

What course were you CloggyUK?

CloggyUK
21st May 2002, 10:53
Spamcan defender:

Don't bother yet. I've you're going approach you don't need to know any of the area stuff!! Well, almost none.
At catc they'll tell you what to read and what not.

egffztzx:

One that has a graduation coming up soon. Which one where you on then?
You're login: Where you work or where you from?

egffztzx
21st May 2002, 11:52
Cloggy,

117 Approach - We don't graduate until Novemeber.
Login = where I was posted, but I was also an ATSA there before.

Spamcan,

I agree with Cloggy - don't get to bogged down in MATS1 yet - you're going to have plenty of time for that in the next 12/18 months! :)

If you're going to learn anything, start getting the phraseology (MATS 1 - Attach E) off by pat - As a PPL your have the DISADVANTAGE of being subjected to "real world" phraseology - something that is not tolerated at CATC. CATC are the bastions of correct phraseology and nothing less will do!

Other than that I'd suggest getting to grips with the basic of ATC as found in the various laymans books.

And be warned - the learning curve isn't just steep, it just goes straight up!

CloggyUK
21st May 2002, 12:03
egff:

116 apr, my login gives it away i think.
Agree what you say about the disadvantage is of having a ppl and phraseology. In this light the only usefull section off the mats is Attach-E. But here again, there are things you'll never need.

Spamcan.
You got all those pages for free? What site where you on?