PDA

View Full Version : Should I order an anorak also?

piperboy84
26th Dec 2013, 23:33
Just bought 2 cheap Decathlon RC starter/trainers of ebay, never done it before so thought I would give it a go myself on the airstrip without any instruction, if there are any other sad bastards like myself out there with experience on these things that would like to give me a few pointers crack on. I've bought 2 fully expected a high crash ratio!

New RC 2.4G 3CH 4CH Decathlon Airplane Trainer Plane Beginner Aeroplane Glider | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161038094218)

dont overfil
27th Dec 2013, 09:30
Ha!
I was thinking along similar lines myself. I used to be right into it many years ago and got a taste of it again a few weeks ago.

Hand launch it to start with. It will probably be disinclined to take off from anything other than a bowling green surface.

Pick a calm day.

If you can, practice on MSFS tower view.

Remember the direction controls are reversed when it is flying towards you. Turn your body (and transmitter) the direction the ac is travelling and keep it in sight looking over your shoulder.

Best of luck.

D.O.

Mechta
27th Dec 2013, 14:38
First find a suitable flying site: ..Somewhere very big and open with long grass, away from trees, goalposts, cars, fences etc. It shouild also be away from people who will distract you and are potential targets. Going very early is one way to achieve this.
Choose a day with no more than 3 to 5mph wind
Set up a ribbon as a windsock on a weak stick (in case you hit it...) to show you the exact wind direction before launch.
Take the undercarriage off. It just makes .the model stop more suddenly and breaks the fuselage
Take the propeller off (you can put a piece of foam or balsawood over the motor shaft to make it less deadly) and practice some glides into wind into the long grass. A gentle push with the wings level, and slightly nose down. Try easing a bit of up elevator in to stretch the glide at the last moment (the flare).
After landing, adjust the elevator and rudder trims a maximum of a couple of clicks at a time until you can achieve a straight glide without any control inputs.
Once you have mastered the glide and the flare, try using the rudder for gentle, changes of direction (max 45° to the left and right).
When you can consistently get the model to glide to where you want it, put the propeller back on.
Try it with power this time and aim for a straight climb, to 100 feet or so up into wind, then, nudge the stick to drift the model to the left and right, flying figures of eight with the turns away from you.
Initial control inputs should be by gently flicking the sticks the way you want it to go; increasing the frequency for a tighter turn. This avoids inadvertant inputs due stress that happen if you hold the stick continuously. Later you should gently hold the sticks between your thumb and forefinger.
As soon as the battery starts to fade, throttle back to about 1/3, and start your landing circuit. Add two or three clicks of down trim to increase the gliding speed.
Aim for a high final turn, and a long straight glide into the longest grass.
Gradually ease the throttle right back so the propeller is stopped.
Start stretching the glide from about 6 feet up.
Don't flare too hard. Better to go in with a little surplus speed, than zoom up and dive in, or tip stall and cartwheel..
Have fun!
Make sure you have an address for ready supply of spare parts...
On the subject of addresses, write your name,address and phone no. on the model. They do get lost, stuck in trees and disappear off downwind on occasions.

As the previous poster said, when the model is flying towards you, turning controls are reversed. 'Push the stick under the low wing to prop it up' is a good way to remenber how to get the wings level in this case.

Tony Mabelis
27th Dec 2013, 18:01
The MOST important rule in R/C flying is...................get someone experienced to take it off for you and give you some instruction.

Trying to teach your self WILL end in tears.

Tony
Flying R/C fixed wing for 35 years.

teknow
27th Dec 2013, 18:53
If you have an ipad/iPhone try absolute rc trainer. Free and if nothing else, fun.

Maoraigh1
27th Dec 2013, 19:52
If you can't contact anyone local, and if they fit in the Maule, take them to Dornoch on a decent Sunday morning.

Small Rodent Driver
28th Dec 2013, 01:53
I bought a similar one of a Cub a couple of years back after a pal pointed out that the model bore the reg of my own Cub. Flies very well.

I started out flying TRC models some 40 years back and still have the anorak.

I am back at Forfar after the holiday and will be happy to assist you and perhaps prevent carnage.

SRD

cockney steve
28th Dec 2013, 16:22
Buy a Sim for the PC! It will save it's own cost in crashes as well as training your muscle-memory.

market leaders are Realflight and Phoenix.
Realflight 's main features....comes with a dummy Futaba transmitter, excellent sticks, switches and trims, option to slave your real transmitter to control, or 2 "players" to fly simultaneously. Wide range of fixed-wing, Rotary and sailplanes, every parameter you can think of ,can be adjusted, including slowing down time, to give you extra reaction time!
Many "rendered backgroundsas well as photofields. the rendered ones are very "3-D model" but even have adjustable sun azimuth (or moonlight!) and wind that blows the leaves on trees and bushes.

the photofields are actual panoramic photos, but IMHO the model appears to fly in front, rather than "in" there is an online "multiplayer" facility, if that's your bag.

Phoenix had very realistic photofields when it was first released and many argued that the flight-physics were vastly superior.
With Phoenix you use a dongle-lead and your own transmitter. It's cheaper than Realflight.

Fleabay is your friend for used bargains....provided the vendor deregisters Realflight, they re-register and support you(some free updates , models etc.

Runryder, the model heli forum has a dedicated sim. sub-forum.

I still can't fly my nitro Heli, but reckon I've saved at least £1000 in crashes, using Realflight. the crashes are realistic too! anything from a chipped wingtip to a full-scale disintegration....but the red button gives you an instant repair :8