PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Theory Validity for FI

mike172
23rd Dec 2013, 19:32
Hi all

Just a quick question regarding the validity of CPL/ATPL exams in regards to instructing. Obviously you can instruct with a PPL as long as you also hold an FI rating and have passed at least the CPL theoretical knowledge.

Now, it is my understanding that your exam results are valid for three years from the date of the last exam taken and that if you don't complete your IR in that time frame then you must resit all of your exams...

So my question is, if all you want to do is instruct for the PPL do you have to resit your CPL/ATPL exams every three years in the absence of an IR?

Thanks in advance

S-Works
23rd Dec 2013, 20:09
As I understand it for the purposes of an FI the exams are valid for life. They don't have to be in date for you to take the FI.

mike172
23rd Dec 2013, 20:19
Lovely, that's makes sense (which is somewhat surprising), thanks bose as always.

On the same note, what if one decided that after, say, four years of instructing one wanted to then complete the IR?

nick14
23rd Dec 2013, 20:37
If you do the ATPL then they are valid for 7 years I believe. If you don't do the IR before the 7 years then you need to retake them.

mike172
23rd Dec 2013, 20:56
Okay, cheers Nick! I'm sure I read something to do with a seven year validity somewhere but my brain has seemingly turned to mush for the time being!

mike172
23rd Dec 2013, 21:47
Just spotted it actually in CAP 804, Section 4, Part J, Subpart 1, Page 4 for anyone who's interested! Right at the very bottom of the page, almost off the page, it states: "Examinations successfully completed for ATPL or CPL shall be accepted and the validity period of FCL.025(c)(1)(ii) shall not apply."

Whopity
24th Dec 2013, 10:15
which is somewhat surprisingNot really, the rules says shall have demonstrated CPL level knowledge, one demonstration meets that requirement.

Level Attitude
24th Dec 2013, 10:28
CPL exam passes are valid for 3 years for CPL issue. They are not valid
at all for IR issue.

ATPL exam passes are valid for 3 years for initial IR issue.
Provided an IR is maintained then ATPL exam passes are valid
indefinitely for ATPL issue.

If no IR is maintained then ATPL exams remain valid for 7 years from last
date of holding a valid IR, for both IR renewal and ATPL issue.

With the new Competency Based IR (with its one exam) on the horizon it is
probably not worth doing ATPL exams if an FI is all that is wanted now - with
achieving an IR to be decided later, and possibly not within the 3 year exam
pass window.

mike172
30th Dec 2013, 11:44
Not really, the rules says shall have demonstrated CPL level knowledge, one demonstration meets that requirement.

I was talking more in terms of common sense being used for a change.

Thanks everyone for your replies :)