PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing the plane

piperboy84
14th Dec 2013, 20:01
What preparations, if any, do you guys make for cold weather flying when temps get into the minus area? What's the general opinion on changing the oil grade used over the winter to better match the temps on Lycomings if indeed there is such a thing?

Any thoughts?

Jan Olieslagers
14th Dec 2013, 20:16
What's wrong about your POH? Or do you want to be more catholic than the pope?

flarepilot
15th Dec 2013, 01:15
you might use the heater more often, so why not make sure you have a carbon monoxide detector?

perhaps slightly higher chance of exposure to CO with use

also make sure the heater and defogger are working well.

also might put a blanket, waterproof matches in the cargo compartment in case you go down

always consider the chance that rain at the surface might work itself into the control paths and when go higher it might freeze...happened to me on a seneca

Desert185
15th Dec 2013, 05:15
I preheat (Tanis) when the temps are below 40F and I use Phillips 20W50 oil all year (with CamGuard). I also tape over half of my oil cooler with duct tape to keep the oil temp around 180. Other than that, I always carry survival gear.

Flyingmac
15th Dec 2013, 12:23
I don't fly without spats and I wear extra socks as the Jodel's heater is rubbish. Oil is straight 80 all year round.

TipVortices
15th Dec 2013, 12:27
Does anyone have any thoughts about protecting the engine during winter (if kept outside), are there thing which could help/hinder?

Shoestring Flyer
15th Dec 2013, 12:40
Are the spats on you or on the aircraft?

Flyingmac
15th Dec 2013, 13:23
Only at 40's Fly-ins.:)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-White-Patent-Spats-Shoes-mens/dp/B002CHC40I/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_t_1_ZYQ6

Maoraigh1
15th Dec 2013, 19:58
I don't fly without spats
If we had the spats on, I'd take them off. Mud/slush could freeze in flight and lock the wheels.
Other than starting a Lycoming with the primer out if much below zero, I can't think of anything at even the coldest Scottish temperatures. The coldest I've ever heard on Inverness ATIS was -17 when night flying in one of the rare very cold winters. We use Shell multi all year round in the O-200. We rarely have starting problems.
Winterising the pilot in a draughty Jodel 1050 is another story.
I would avoid leaving the plane outside overnight in winter if at all possible.

Jan Olieslagers
15th Dec 2013, 20:20
Off-topic, but I can't help remembering the story of an Italian high-glosh car of the 1930's or so ((it must have been a Lamborghini, or perhaps a Maserati, or such)), which was delivered with the usual set of accessories like a jack and engine crank and what not, and also two large copper tubs. The evening before a winter ride, one was supposed to drain the engine oil in one tub, the radiator coolant in the other, then put both on the kitchen stove overnight.Come morning, drain both tubs into the car and start the engine right away. Those were the days!

phiggsbroadband
15th Dec 2013, 23:44
Hi, Batteries take a real bashing in cold weather, and if you can arrange for them to be trickle-charged between flights so much the better.

The scenario is something like this... The cold will reduce the performance of the battery, and the engine will be stiffer to crank, turning at a slow speed. This slow speed draws more current out of the battery, so the voltage falls even more, and soon depletes the already low capacity.

The reason why more current is used, is that during summer heatwaves, the cranking speed is so high that more 'back emf' is produced by the starter motor, therefore less current. Also the engine is more likely to start first time when hot.

To ensure the lightest load on the starter in the cold weather, check out which is the best oil to use, a multigrade such as 15W50 aeroshell is often quoted for Cessna aircraft.

India Four Two
16th Dec 2013, 06:52
... one was supposed to drain the engine oil ...

Jan,

It's not really off-topic. Bush pilots in Canada and Alaska still do that if they don't have cowling insulation blankets and electric heaters, when parked in the open.

Flyingmac
16th Dec 2013, 07:24
If we had the spats on, I'd take them off. Mud/slush could freeze in flight
and lock the wheels.

From that comment, I'll assume that you haven't laid on your back in the cold and wet, washing the muck from the underside of a Jodel's wings.:rolleyes:

Desert185
16th Dec 2013, 13:35
It's not really off-topic. Bush pilots in Canada and Alaska still do that if they don't have cowling insulation blankets and electric heaters, when parked in the open.

...or a portable heater when there is no electrical outlet for said electric heater. Although, I have been known to carry a Honda 1000 generator rather than my homemade, MSR powered engine heater. The Honda also keeps the phone charged and provides camp light.

Maoraigh1
16th Dec 2013, 19:03
From that comment, I'll assume that you haven't laid on your back in the cold and wet, washing the muck from the underside of a Jodel's wings
Your assumption is wrong - but I've very rarely done that. Usually I've put tyres and a cushion down, and two of us tipped the tail so the nose sat on them. Then we washed it.
I've never had frozen muck lock the wheels when landing either.

Flyingmac
18th Dec 2013, 10:57
Your assumption is wrong - but I've very rarely done that. Usually I've put
tyres and a cushion down, and two of us tipped the tail so the nose sat on them.
Then we washed it.

Did you manage to keep a straight face when you typed that?