PDA

View Full Version : Isle of Wight Airport - SANDOWN - Keeping you up-dated

Fieldhawk
11th Dec 2013, 15:30
Please remember that Sandown (EGHN) has a website that is up-dated daily to show the airfield status and other important information, typically about the runway, taxiways and Carla's Café (CJ's) - what could be more important.

Sandown, including the café, will be CLOSED :( for the Christmas break from 24 - 27 December (both dates inclusive) but will re-OPEN :) Saturday 28 December and remain open right through the New Year (please see the website for operational hours).

Keep an eye on the EVENTS page of the website to see what is going on. And why not book a fly-in at Sandown in 2014 and the good airfield with good food.

The website you need to add to your browser is www.eghn.org.uk (http://www.eghn.org.uk) . Go on, do it now.

See you here.

Remember. Safety first. Always :)

Fieldhawk
9th Mar 2014, 11:33
Hi folks. Good news - Sandown is PPR open to-day (Sunday). So is the café (not PPR!! for bacon butties).
So call 01983 716926 for airfield information and then get airborne.
See you here.

soaringhigh650
11th Mar 2014, 00:12
PPR?! Are you guys nuts!!?

Big Pistons Forever
11th Mar 2014, 03:32
Please sir, may I come to your airport and pay a big landing fee so I can have a bacon sarny.:rolleyes:

Thank god I fly in North America, where GA still makes sense :ok:

LysanderV8
11th Mar 2014, 07:06
If you guys over the water knew Sandown, and appreciated that we have had the wettest winter since 1766, you would understand the logic of calling Sandown first to ascertain the state of the grass and the taxiways from someone on the ground there. The last thing anyone wants is an aircraft ploughing a furrow in the runway and/or nosing over. Once the surface has hardened, I am sure the PPR requirement will be gone.

soaringhigh650
11th Mar 2014, 11:11
Has anyone ever heard of NOTAMs? That's the standard place where such things are published.

Prop swinger
11th Mar 2014, 11:19
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

The absolute last thing we want is for every one of the hundreds of airfields in EGTT to start issuing NOTAMS about their runway status, noise issues, etc.

soaringhigh650
11th Mar 2014, 11:24
What's wrong with reading NOTAMs? I do it every day.

Talkdownman
11th Mar 2014, 12:06
They didn't have a 1766, did they...

chevvron
11th Mar 2014, 12:17
Is Sandown licenced? You can only issue NOTAMs for licenced airfields.

Jan Olieslagers
11th Mar 2014, 12:38
That's the standard place

It is perhaps, to some. Standards tend to have geographical limits.
And why is it so hard to accept the place as it is, with its rules and its traditions; and be glad that there is an aerodrome at all?
Whining is easier, of course, but doesn't really help anyone.

soaringhigh650
11th Mar 2014, 13:26
You can only issue NOTAMs for licenced airfields.

Dunno, but flight safety should always comes first. :=

AirborneAgain
11th Mar 2014, 15:00
You can only issue NOTAMs for licenced airfields.Whatever for??

flybymike
11th Mar 2014, 16:08
You can only issue NOTAMs for licenced airfields.
That seems to be a contentious assertion judging by the amount of kite flying notams there are. Perhaps you could notam kite flying on an unlicensed airfield but not the runway condition?

flybymike
11th Mar 2014, 16:10
I read somewhere else that Sandown will be getting avgas in. Is that imminent?

G-Atlast
11th Mar 2014, 19:53
It certainly is! Fuel has been delivered. Last few adjustments being made to dispensing side apparently before it is available for purchase. Oils will also be available. Check the website for an official announcement in the next few days.

thing
11th Mar 2014, 20:16
Must get there this year. On my 'to do' list.

chevvron
11th Mar 2014, 21:32
If you advise AUS of an air navigation hazard such as kite flying, they will issue a NOTAM. If you advice AUS of activity at an unlicenced airfield with no ATZ, they will issue a NOTAM (eg Dunsfold). They will issue NOTAMs for AIR navigation 'hazards', but not about unlicenced airfield facilites.

soaringhigh650
12th Mar 2014, 18:02
The inability to publish NOTAM and the requirement for PPR makes my rectum itch. It might even open up on those bureaucrats.

:yuk:

Jan Olieslagers
12th Mar 2014, 18:40
Then please take great care to NOT cross the great pond - we can manage very well here without either your mouth or other parts opening up.

Contacttower
12th Mar 2014, 18:41
The NOTAM issue is somewhat of a misnomer - so many people use graphical flight planning software that it makes little difference whether the NOTAM is promulgated as an airfield NOTAM or otherwise.

I usually roll my eyeballs at the UK's PPR obsession, seems to be the only country in the world that feels the need to patronisingly insist on 'briefings' and the like for noise and local procedures.

However sometimes, and on this occasion certainly, just making a phone call is actually a more expedient way of doing things - someone on the phone can tell me with reasonable certainty the real state of the runway at a given time - much easier to get an understanding on whether something is safe to land on or not that way.

soaringhigh650
13th Mar 2014, 01:25
someone on the phone can tell me with reasonable certainty the real state of the runway at a given time

Yeah but if tens or hundreds of people call then the guy on the phone is gonna have a mouthful repeating all the same info, or the lines are jammed and people fly elsewhere. That's why NOTAM or METAR are published so everyone can read it without further questions.

Jan Olieslagers
13th Mar 2014, 07:16
What a good thing you are here to enlighten us - I would never have guessed that by myself. :ugh:

But there's not hundreds of people flying there, not in a month of Mondays.

Fieldhawk
15th Mar 2014, 19:50
The good news is that the rain has, so far, stayed away from the Isle of Wight and consequently the Isle of Wight Airport, Sandown (EGHN) remains open to incoming traffic, but please PPR as there are still some damp patches to avoid. +44 (0) 1983 716 926. 119.275MHz.

100LL fuel is now available. Please advise the tower if you require fuel as it is a fixed pump installation. Competitive price!!!

And, as the days are getting longer the café hours have been extended. Now open Monday to Friday from 1100-1600, Saturday and Sunday 1100-1700. Hot food served until 1500 hrs. These times are LOCAL.

See you there, soon.

herman the crab
16th Mar 2014, 02:22
Or maybe a recording of the ATIS you can call like many airfields in the US?

HTC

soaringhigh650
17th Mar 2014, 10:15
It is obvious Fieldhawk does not listen to his customers.

mad_jock
17th Mar 2014, 10:23
Its more than likely nothing to do with him.

I can think of at least 5 different parties ranging from the Police to insurance company's that may insist on PPR.

Your having a laugh about ATIS aren't you? Only frequency's left down that end of the country are 8.33 ones.

herman the crab
18th Mar 2014, 01:01
If you mean my comment available frequencies are not relevant - you CALL - by telephone to hear the recording (albeit usually of the ATIS).

HTC

patowalker
18th Mar 2014, 05:40
You prefer to call a machine?

thing
18th Mar 2014, 08:42
Call it what?

herman the crab
19th Mar 2014, 01:37
Why not? No different to listening to an ATIS broadcast via radio.

HTC

patowalker
19th Mar 2014, 02:21
What's the difference between calling a machine and calling the tower for PPR?

Jan Olieslagers
19th Mar 2014, 08:25
The chap is apparently unacquainted with the PPR mechanism.For myself I find it a good thing thing to be expected, and to have an informal chat about the situation at my destination field. But, as we say here, "a farmer will not eat what he doesn't know".
Only I am afraid this is degrading into just one more discussion of the pro's and con's of PPR, as if we hadn't done that a zillion times already.

Contacttower
19th Mar 2014, 09:22
I can think of at least 5 different parties ranging from the Police to insurance company's that may insist on PPR.

MJ under what circumstances may the police "insist" on PPR?

phiggsbroadband
19th Mar 2014, 09:40
Just a suggestion, from an retired agricultural contractor... Why not, during the wet months, dig some 2 ft deep drainage channels into each of the wettest puddles. Then lay flexible drainage pipe (costs about £70 per 120m).
It does a very good job, and not as expensive as an 'all over the field' drainage system that drainage contractors would want to install with their big machines.

mad_jock
19th Mar 2014, 10:31
The chief of police just needs to get a bylaw put through for his area that all airfields require ppr and that's it. Bit like some places banning consuming alcohol in public areas.

They can't just decide willy nilly that they have to and special branch rock up and insist on special requirements. But its pretty easy for them to get it required if you tell them to Foxtrot Oscar, 30seconds in a council meeting and its through.

The Custom and Exercises is a completely different kettle of fish and I don't think require anything special done they can just require on a whim to impose any requirement they like and if you refuse you can get done for obstructing the VAT man.

I can't think of any field if asked by the police to require PPR and to provide a list of those that do and those that don't refusing. Its just not worth arguing the toss. Same if the council ask for it, your just setting yourself up for endless inspections of fuel bunds and building compliance etc if you refuse.

Big boy bullying I agree but doesn't change the fact that if they require it you would be bloody stupid to refuse.

rans6andrew
19th Mar 2014, 17:53
We popped over to the Island on Sunday, doing the requested PPR first. The two way exchange of pleasantries and info was helpful. They wanted to ASK me to land short and to the right hand side of the runway, 23 being in use, due to some patches not fully dried out following the dreadful flooding recently. They also ASKED that we use the northern taxiway as it was in better shape than the southern, ditto the floods and mud. I was able to be sure that Carla's Cafe was operating at full strength (most important!) and that the vis was good. There has been a few misty mornings recently and I prefer to stay VFR so as to comply with my aircraft permit and my licence conditions.

There is nothing officious going on. Our visit was most pleasant and relaxing.

Rans6......

chevvron
19th Mar 2014, 18:50
SH650 obviously isn't aware that most small airfields in the UK do NOT have an ATIS frequency and do NOT have any form of automatic weather station or indeed a human met observer.
As for frequencies, if the 'industry' (and I include the Defence Procurement Agency in this) would release some of the 'trials' frequencies reserved for them and rarely used, there would be more to go round. (118.750, 126.4, 130.5 are just 3 examples)

manix-cs
23rd Mar 2014, 15:46
It is obvious Fieldhawk does not listen to his customers.

Seems to me the only people whining about Fieldhawk's helpful posts aren't ever likely to be flying into Sandown in any case, bit too far to cross the pond, even for one of Carla's bacon butties.

DeeCee
23rd Mar 2014, 16:20
Congratulations to Fieldhawk and others on here trying to keep this a pleasant conversation. I don't understand why people want to comment negatively when they obviously don't understand the circumstances. I will try to visit Sandown soon (and I'll be happy to make a quick telephone call first).

Steevo25
24th Mar 2014, 10:15
I was also very surprised by the negative comments. I found it very useful to be told the status of an airfield that I will be going to in the next few weeks.

There are many times when I have found PPR very helpful and glad that I did make the call. The last airfield I went to was not PPR and I ended up having to be towed out the mud by a tractor.

If you don't have any interest in Sandown airfield then why bother making a comment at all.

soaringhigh650
24th Mar 2014, 18:17
Seems to me the only people whining about Fieldhawk's helpful posts aren't ever likely to be flying into Sandown in any case

Wrong! I am sometimes here sometimes there.

Mach Jump
24th Mar 2014, 22:40
I think that this is another one of those occasions where the pxxxxg contest is taking over the thread.

The PPR thing has been done to death already, but if you want to go through it all again, start your own thread for it, and leave Fieldhawk alone to tell us some good news about a nice airfield that was once under threat, and now apears to be firmly up and running again!

MJ:ok:

Robin66
14th Apr 2014, 08:26
I flew into Sandown yesterday (13 Apr'14). The tower staff were very friendly (couldn't say the same for the lady in the cafe). There's a bump halfway down the runway which made me think I was running out of distance to stop my C172, but a go-around and another attempt later I was landed and having a cup of tea in the sunshine. Highly recommend. Dirt cheap landing fees too.

bartonflyer
16th Apr 2014, 14:26
Well I don't know what you did to upset the cafe staff?

I flew in there on April 1'st and was welcomed and well treated by everybody - and one of the best all day breakfasts I can remember.

I'd thoroughly recommend Sandown to anyone - especially if they can get the heavy roller out on the runway :)

gunbus
16th Apr 2014, 14:41
"we can manage very well here without either your mouth or other parts opening up."

Precisely my attitude regarding the Nazi Dictators of the EU and EASA

FleetFlyer
16th Apr 2014, 16:33
I just wanted to say many thanks to Fieldhawk for the info. Its genuinely appreciated and its a shame other airfields don't take such a proactive approach to letting their potential visitors know about local conditions and facilities.

And to all those negative Nigels giving him stick, BELT UP! Unless of course you've saved an endangered airfield also, in which case I think we'd be delighted to hear about your experiences.

Its a lovely airfield and its been saved from becoming another housing estate or caravan park. I'm looking forward to my son being old enough for us to go there and pitch a tent for the night.

flybymike
16th Apr 2014, 23:39
I'd thoroughly recommend Sandown to anyone - especially if they can get the heavy roller out on the runway
Just how bad is the runway?

bartonflyer
17th Apr 2014, 06:02
It could be smoother, but I suspect it's just showing the effects of a very wet winter. Not really a problem, but not a billiard table either - please don't let my flippant comment put you off going, Sandown is an excellent destination.

flybymike
17th Apr 2014, 08:15
Ok thanks.

hegemon88
17th Apr 2014, 13:30
Is the airfield open on Easter Monday?

/h88

patowalker
17th Apr 2014, 17:03
Landed there on Tuesday. Even though I was asked to land on one side of the centreline, the runway seemed to be in very good condition.

G-Atlast
22nd Apr 2014, 18:45
Avgas is now available. Was £1.92/litre at the weekend :)

Flying_Anorak
22nd Apr 2014, 22:13
Landed there on (Good) Friday and was made very welcome but dismayed to learn that the Cafe had run out of Bacon (apparently did 5kg worth before noon that day!). Maybe that should have been passed as part of the airfield information as would have gone to Bembridge had I known!

:-)

mikehallam
22nd Apr 2014, 23:01
Dropped in Saturday on the return dog-leg from Henstridge's LAA Fly-In.
Found two charming and cheerfully polite YL's looking after the cafe, quite a boost to one's libido.

The runway felt just fine, plenty of width and Henry marshalling with an on a/field frequency hand-held made it easy.

There's no doubt that Sandown's one of the all round attractive fields to fly into and as the man says, fuel too.

mike hallam.

OpenCirrus619
23rd Apr 2014, 17:15
Flew in on Saturday, left on Monday...

VERY welcoming - even offered a cup of tea from the tower while we were preparing to leave (before the cafe had opened).

I understand, at the moment, fuel is sort of "PPR" - as it's not available all the time the airfield is open.

Runway is fine - there's a couple of undulations (rather than bumps).

OC619

AJMortimer
5th May 2014, 11:55
I had a great day there yesterday - the airfield was busy with many visitors.

Weather good, enjoyable walk around Sandown and the Coast Path.

Fuel was available and paid for by card.

Thanks to all concerned :ok: