PDA

View Full Version : ACM Sir Stuart Peach CAS

KPax
1st Dec 2013, 22:31
After his recent award would ACM Peach make a good CAS, everything I have read about him indicates that he is a top operator. I realise that he is not one of the 'Two Wing Master Race' however, is it not right to have the best person for the job. Apologies if this has been discussed before.

Melchett01
1st Dec 2013, 23:23
Aside from being a 'Nav', I always thought VCDS was an up or out type appointment. In any case, a lot will depend how he does politically - at that rarified level performance is often judged by how you handle yourself amongst the Westminster bearpit above and beyond other performance metrics.

Plus I'm not sure it is the right time for another RAF CDS. The Army have double tapped the job on the grounds of fighting a ground-centric campaign and before that we had Jock Stirrup. Whilst not entirely in the spirit of the being the right person rather than buggins turn, I suspect the RN might be angling for it when Houghton leaves - although my knowledge of RN VSOs and their position in the pecking order on the Defence Board is sketchy.

Plus, as he has already held 4-star command as Comd JFC, I'm sure there would be others working their way up through the system that would be a little miffed if Peach got a 'second bite' so to speak.

The Old Fat One
1st Dec 2013, 23:39
Youser!

Stu Peach...name from my past. Had many a piss up with him when we were both "out of service". Is he doing well...must have listened to my advice ;)

alfred_the_great
2nd Dec 2013, 00:32
I think VCDS is equally in the running as any Service Chief. I think the output of SDSR15 will be the determining factor in any choice to be honest. I'm not hopeful about Adm Z being CDS.

Wander00
2nd Dec 2013, 05:58
Just wondering, what award?

Stitchbitch
2nd Dec 2013, 07:56
Well done that man.

Courtney Mil
2nd Dec 2013, 08:25
Wander00, I guess that was the Diamond Jubilee Medal. :}

Training Risky
2nd Dec 2013, 10:28
He was winner of the 'Very grumpy and miserable Poirot-lookalike' competition every time I met him on det...

1.3VStall
2nd Dec 2013, 11:28
TR - yes, but it was a stick-on moustache!;)

Jimlad1
2nd Dec 2013, 14:33
Worked for him when he was CDI - he was grumpy to those who failed to prepare for him properly. He was also very good to us, and there was a lot of loyalty to him.

To this day I feel loyal to him because he took the effort to start my final briefing to him by spending two minutes saying thank you to me for my work and wishing me luck in my next post - which as I was a very junior person, he didnt need to know about or take an interest in. I won't forget that small gesture which meant a lot to me.

Geehovah
2nd Dec 2013, 16:58
Don't expect a smile but he was my Boss for the Gulf Ops and a finer military mind you will struggle to find.

Maybe I'll try poetry!

Union Jack
2nd Dec 2013, 18:13
Aside from being a 'Nav', I always thought VCDS was an up or out type appointment.

Well, it seemed to work pretty positively for General Houghton.:ok:

Jack

PS I didn't realise that you were a Nav, Melchett!:)

RequestPidgeons
2nd Dec 2013, 18:27
Nothing wrong with a NAV being the Chief; best person for the job!

RNZAF - Chief of Air Force (http://www.airforce.mil.nz/about-us/who-we-are/key-personnel/caf.htm)

peppermint_jam
2nd Dec 2013, 19:15
Wander00

He was presented with a gold medal by the 'Association of Old Crows' for his work with electronic warfare throughout his service.

More information at this link (http://www.crows.org/2013-show-daily-day-1.html)

Wander00
2nd Dec 2013, 19:39
That's all right then - as a founder member of 360, I can only honour his achievement.

TomJoad
2nd Dec 2013, 20:33
Don't expect a smile but he was my Boss for the Gulf Ops and a finer military mind you will struggle to find.

Maybe I'll try poetry!

Our paths crossed in similar circumstances and he left me with the same impression. He impressed me in the way he took a genuine interest in all those that worked for him no matter their role or position. A genuine leader and gentleman; if he were offered the position I am sure he would do very well.

theonewhoknows
2nd Dec 2013, 21:46
I haven't posted for some time. However, I can't let this one go. He may be an intellectual messiah, but he also has all the social skills of Gordon Brown? He is overrated. Many are!

TomJoad
2nd Dec 2013, 22:08
The One,,,

Not my experience.

MaroonMan4
3rd Dec 2013, 06:36
I do not have close knowledge of ACM Peach, but one thing I do know is that while still being politically aware single Service chiefs can fight their own turf (whether that is carriers for the RN, Army numbers post Afghan for the Army or whatever our 'red line' is). But when in the VCDS and CDS role the political nature of the job either results in a label of not being Joint (too much 'loyalty' to your own colour of uniform); not in the interests of Defence (you believe that your military professional judgement is better than the various studies, senior officer briefings, and civil servants providing you with advice), and finally there are those VCDS/CDS that historically just don't get that the politicians have their political agenda, inter departmental and cross party driving factors - the Minister's decision is to be loyally delivered!

Some take on the politicians and although it can be construed as good moral courage to stand up for the military against self focused, career minded politicians that rarely these days have served in H M Forces, but in reality these kind of VCDS/CDS just get bypassed by those that do have career aspirations and ultimately will do the Minister's bidding.

The challenge for ACM Peach, as he we'll knows, is to balance his light blue history and experience, with what is genuinely right for Defence, while ensuring Ministers (and his boss CDS!) are managed with a great deal of awareness.

That will determine his career future (and whether we can position a light blue CDS at the top of the shop) - not what brevet or cockpit he has previously filled. I believe that the position of CAS would be a sideways (if not downwards) move, and would certainly block us from positioning one of future CDS' via the CAS route.

Therefore I agree with previous posts being that our best hope is 'up' (to CDS) and not 'out' (when he finishes this job).

And I wouldn't write off the RN or the Army. The Army invest heavily in positioning its best at the top that shine with key crunchy jobs. SDSR 15 is one such 'opportunity' for the budding Army CDS, as is implementing Future Reserve 20. With the move towards contingency and not getting involved with long term boots on the ground, then the RN with its carriers are very well placed to lead Defence from 2015 into Future Force 2020.

But who knows and let's see what the Ministers have to say at the time!

BEagle
3rd Dec 2013, 07:18
When I first joined the RAF, dire threats would appear at frequent intervals in SROs, concerning membership of 'The Red Coat Roost of the Association of Old Crows'. Which didn't actually mean a lot to anyone; if it hadn't been for some reference to P&SS, we might have asked for an explanation. But even then we decided it wouldn't be in our best interests to attract the attention of the spooks....

Fg Off Bloggs
3rd Dec 2013, 17:05
It's only Wikipedia but:

Peach served as Commander British Forces Italy from 1999 to 2000 and NATO Air Commander (Forward) in Kosovo in 2000, as a result of which he was appointed CBE. He was then appointed Commandant of the Air Warfare Centre and Assistant Chief of Staff Intelligence at RAF Strike Command, being promoted to Air Commodore in January 2001.

Promoted to Air Vice Marshal in 2003, Peach served as Director Intelligence Collection from July 2003 to March 2006. He was promoted to Air Marshal in 2006, and appointed Chief of Defence Intelligence, becoming Chief of Joint Operations in March 2009 having been knighted in that year's New Year Honours List.

Peach was promoted to Air Chief Marshal and appointed the first commander of the new Joint Forces Command in December 2011. He went on to become Vice-Chief of the Defence Staff in May 2013.

So all predominantly 'purple' in Air Rank, which makes him a non-runner for CAS unless all those young thrusters behind him fall under a London bus on the same day. Also, having only been appointed VCDS this year and at 57 years of age this will more than likely be his last tour.

Very nice guy if a bit hard-nosed on occasions (not with me but with those who didn't always cut the mustard)! Served together on GR1s at Bruggen and he was the man who organised a career extension past 55 for me when I worked for him at Waddo in the AWC.:D

Bloggs

Avtur
3rd Dec 2013, 20:09
Hmmm; I was just wondering how I would feel if I was the named subject of a public forum post, where my personality and professional performance was being commented on.

TorqueOfTheDevil
3rd Dec 2013, 21:47
Avtur,

Fair enough but if you go for the high-profile jobs it's inevitable. Besides, nothing on here is nearly as unpleasant as what he will encounter in his current and any future role...although most of it will be said behind his back rather than publicly...

Secret1
3rd Dec 2013, 22:18
There are people who are paid to ensure he knows he is being talked about.

And there are others who are paid to ensure that much is known about 'old birds', et al, and their members.

Mick Strigg
4th Dec 2013, 07:39
Without doubt, Admiral George Zambellas will be the next CDS. Furthermore, he's a pilot!

Party Animal
4th Dec 2013, 07:57
From the original question:

would ACM Peach make a good CAS

I think the answer would be yes, he could be a good CAS.

However, as others have said, it's never going to happen. Absolutely not for the reason that he isn't a pilot. Timing, circumstances, age etc. all play a part and in his case, his route upwards has followed an alternative plan.

As a light blue operator, my money would very much be on Adm Z for CDS. Timing and credentials are spot on. If we want to play the future CAS game, the focus should be on the current batch of thrusting, popular, competent and politically adept 2*'s with a view of 5-6 years from now.

Current CAS had all those attributes and was looking very well placed during his reign as AOC 2 Gp. Fortunately, those of us who had worked for him over the years and predicted bigger things were proved right.

cetep
10th Dec 2013, 01:21
Just a thought.

I seem to recall that some time ago First Sea Lord, CDS and VCDS all retire on full pay. Has probably changed though.

A2QFI
10th Dec 2013, 08:32
A long time ago! I recall an Air Chief Marshall declining a promotion to MRAF as he figured the index linked ACM pension would be better than the fixed one of an MRAF, allegedly!

Dave Wilson
10th Dec 2013, 09:03
just a thought.

I seem to recall that some time ago First Sea Lord, CDS and VCDS all retire on full pay. Has probably changed though.

Retire?! Whisper that quietly as I know one gentleman who would be at great pains to point out that CAS and their ilk don't retire :)

Dave Wilson
10th Dec 2013, 09:14
Maybe I'll try poetry!

I feel another book coming on, you do realise though as a poet you would have to ditch the Chevvy and buy a 2CV. Probably grow a beard too.

howiehowie93
10th Dec 2013, 16:56
Another former IX(B) CO making the biggest time :ok:

Regards
H

Union Jack
10th Dec 2013, 22:37
I seem to recall that some time ago First Sea Lord, CDS and VCDS all retire on full pay. Has probably changed though. -Cetep

I suspect that you may be thinking of the situation whereby CNS, CGS , and CAS used to be promoted to the relevant five star rank on their last day of service, and given that CDS was a five star rank until 1 April 97. On relinquishing the preceding four posts, five star officers could take a once only option to go for either half pay, or what was known as active list retired pay, which would almost certainly have been virtually the same rate initially. However, these rates would have diverged quite considerably thereafter due to index-linking for active list retired pay, especially since all the officers concerned would all have had getting on for 40 years' reckonable service. So, no contest really.:ok:

After 1 April 97, the "problem" would not have arisen, since the only promotion to five star rank since, of which I am aware, was for Lord Guthrie, who was promoted to Field Marshal in 2012, and who will almost certainly have been awarded a variation of active list retired pay.

A long time ago! I recall an Air Chief Marshal declining a promotion to MRAF as he figured the index linked ACM pension would be better than the fixed one of an MRAF, allegedly! - A2QFI

Given the above, I would tend to support the use of the word "allegedly" in this recollection, and would indeed add another A-word, namely "astonished" at anyone declining a fifth star! :rolleyes:

Jack