PDA

View Full Version : Turkish tailstrike

babemagnet
1st Dec 2013, 19:05
Incredible Tail Strike and Go Around Turkish Boeing 737-900 TC-JYA at Malaga AGP - YouTube

GoreTex
1st Dec 2013, 19:19
Turkish had way too many crashes the last 15 years, most of them in turkey tho

Semaphore Sam
2nd Dec 2013, 08:14
What was the year/day of the Turkish? Any idea? Sam

vfenext
2nd Dec 2013, 08:28
Actually that video shows an unstable approach outside the touchdown zone which should have led to a go around. Ignorance?

Stalker_
2nd Dec 2013, 08:28
I think its a good video man, thanks for sharing

JeroenC
2nd Dec 2013, 10:08
Vfnext, I can see theTDZ markings. What are you talking about?

CaptainProp
2nd Dec 2013, 10:30
As far as I can see on this video that's no tailstrike at all. They bounced on first touchdown, lost airspeed on the bounce, hence the high pitch and almost having a tailstrike, which lead to a balked / rejected landing.

There is a tendency for pilots to keep increasing pitch in these situations to "save" a hard touchdown. A go around / rejected landing (call it what you want) is often the safest solution though.

CP

vfenext
2nd Dec 2013, 10:44
The post I was talking about was deleted. Conveniently! However it showed a Monarch unstable approach.

alternatelaw
2nd Dec 2013, 14:46
Excellent video !
Turkish masters at their best 😱according to reliably sources its on the increase across the whole fleets due to lack of training experience and disciplines, especally on the 900.
Good Frights.
I am sure an ASR will not be found if reported as with more interesting events.
Alt

WASALOADIE
2nd Dec 2013, 17:22
Looks to me like he pressed the go around button after the first bounce, then the a/c sank onto the runway again before engines spooled up, resultant power pitch coupled with a pilot pitch demand, pitched the nose up and the tail bumper (not tailwheel!) touched. Not a drastic problem, depends upon how hard the tail bumper touched, would be checked by engineering staff.

Lord Spandex Masher
2nd Dec 2013, 17:41
Couldn't have pressed TOGA after the first bounce as the spoilers deployed on the second touch down which also exacerbated the pitch up.

WalterMitty
3rd Dec 2013, 05:51
I think you mean could have pressed toga but nothing would have happened??

Lord Spandex Masher
3rd Dec 2013, 15:29
Nope......

Armchairflyer
3rd Dec 2013, 16:34
Question from a mere occasional spamcan-flyer (apart from the armchair stuff): was the bounce really that bad as to necessitate a go-around? To my layman's eyes it appears that just keeping the pitch attitude constant and letting the airplane settle on the runway after the first bounce would have been a non-event.

172_driver
3rd Dec 2013, 17:04
Question from a mere occasional spamcan-flyer (apart from the armchair stuff): was the bounce really that bad as to necessitate a go-around? To my layman's eyes it appears that just keeping the pitch attitude constant and letting the airplane settle on the runway after the first bounce would have been a non-event.

Decision probably best left to the PF's instinct in the very short frame of time. But you are right that a bounce doesn't necessarily mean you have to go around. The FCTM, an advisory document on flying technique, suggests both methods favoring a go-around if the bounce is particularly bad. Just be aware of the pitch up tendency and don't rotate too fast.

Mr Angry from Purley
3rd Dec 2013, 17:10
5N-HMB TC-JCI | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/superspotter/10475816776/)
and another recent mishap in Lagos :{

Farrell
5th Dec 2013, 16:50
Yanbancy, you beat me to it!