PDA

View Full Version : airfields near Edinburgh Hard runway

jxc
1st Dec 2013, 17:16
Aiming to fly up to Edinburgh to collect my son from Uni but need an airfield with a hard runway and affordable landing fees so please don't suggest Edinburgh main airport.

Cheers

P.s. cant believe it has been so long since posted on here.

Jonzarno
1st Dec 2013, 17:43
Cumbernauld is good.

Whopity
1st Dec 2013, 17:46
East Fortune

Genghis the Engineer
1st Dec 2013, 17:46
I go to meetings fairly often in Edinburgh. Seems rather anti-intuitive, but I use Dundee.

Affordable, hard runway, an instrument approach, and a couple of minutes by taxi, then an hour by train from the centre of Edinburgh.

G

TrueFlyer
1st Dec 2013, 18:54
EGPJ Fife Airport (Glenrothes) £15 Landing fee for a single . Unlicensed

cats_five
1st Dec 2013, 20:47
How 'near' is near? Glenrothes would be a taxi to a station (more trains at Kirkcaldy than Glenrothes with Thornton) and then a 40-minute train journey, that is once it turns up.

Flyingmac
2nd Dec 2013, 08:03
Regular non-stop or one stop trains from Edinburgh to Cumbernauld. About £13. Just under 1 hr. Taxi to airfield, 5 minutes max.

Romeo Tango
2nd Dec 2013, 08:08
I have used Kirknewton, significant MOD flaf factor but doable with a few days warning (a couple of years ago). Longish taxi ride into Edinburgh unless your child has a car.

Runway used to be hard .... now a bit softer. Was ok for my Robin.

Fostex
2nd Dec 2013, 08:47
Cumbernauld is great and they have always been very friendly to me. :ok:

jxc
3rd Dec 2013, 17:13
Kirknewton would be good as he is at Herriot watt uni same side of town, I am In a permit aircraft.

supersani
3rd Dec 2013, 21:53
If you're planning to hire a car I'd personally choose either my home field of Fife or Cumbernauld.

You can check with the airfield but I'm fairly sure Enterprise will deliver a car to Fife Airport (and probably Cumbernauld) and from there it's a fairly quick drive along the dual carriageway to the Forth Bridge and on to Riccarton.

C172Navigator
5th Dec 2013, 20:34
Kirknewton.

Your son can catch a bus from the park/ride at the uni entrance to Kirknewton village, a 15 min walk from there to the airfield. A taxi from the uni to the airfield can't be more than £15 I imagine.

jxc
5th Dec 2013, 20:45
Kirknewton does sound perfect will call them tomorrow need to check us able runway as in a rutan varieze.

Dave Wilson
6th Dec 2013, 00:43
a 15 min walk from there to the airfield A uni student doing a 15 minute walk? The only way that's going to happen is if you tell him there's a bar at the end.

philippevd
9th Dec 2013, 09:25
Hi,

I recently flew into Fife airfield to visit edinburgh. It's relatively convenient to access the city, though you need to get a cab plus a train (but trains are frequent). I posted a review of it on wikiairports.

Cheers

JP