PDA

View Full Version : Share ownership

sabre-F86
19th Nov 2013, 12:48
Hi Folks,
A friend of mine owns an aircraft through his Limited company and he uses the aircraft for company business. However he has offered the aircraft to me to fly as and when I wish to do so provided it is available (I pay for my fuel useage). The insurance company is happy to include me in the insurance cover.

My questions are:
A. How does that fit in with CAA ANO2009 and is it OK for me to fly the aircraft without having a share.

B. Would the insurance company payout in case of a claim?

My apology if the same question has been asked before.:bored:

Genghis the Engineer
19th Nov 2013, 13:03
What is the airworthiness state of the aircraft? (Public CofA, Private CofA, or Permit to Fly ?)

Will you be paying him to fly the aeroplane?

G

Bob Bevan
19th Nov 2013, 14:44
When you state that the insurance company are happy to include you I presume that this is either as a named pilot or that you fall within the acceptable criteria that they have laid down under an open pilot warranty.

If this is the case then there is no reason why they would not pay a claim so long as you are only using the aircraft for a permitted purpose. If you are only paying the direct fuel costs then I would have thought this falls under the 'contribution to the direct costs of the flight otherwise payable by the pilot in command' definition.

Is there anything in particular that makes you worry you would not be covered?

Johnm
19th Nov 2013, 15:01
On the face of it you would be borrowing the aircraft from the limited company that owns it with the permission of a suitably qualified officer of the company. If the insurance company are happy for you to fly it I can't see the issue for you.

sabre-F86
19th Nov 2013, 19:12
Thank you guys for your help. I was worried that CAA may disapprove of such arrangements and deem it as paid flights as I am paying for the fuel.
The aircraft is under Private CofA.

foxmoth
19th Nov 2013, 20:23
Don't think there is a problem as you are not paying to hire the aircraft, paying the extra costs (fuel/landings etc) is separate. Go for it.

Genghis the Engineer
19th Nov 2013, 21:46
Foxmoth is probably correct, but it's a grey area, and it would be wise to check with the insurance company about it.

Alternately, if he sells you 5% of the aeroplane for a nominal pound with a contract that allows him to buy it back from you at the same price at any time (or you to sell it to him and nobody else at the same price). The financial arrangements within the "syndicate" are then pretty much irrelevant, but you are then declared as part owner to the CAA, which should solve all and any problems.

Ultimately it is the insurer's opinion that matters - but they may wish to see things regularised with CAA. If in doubt, check!

G