PDA

View Full Version : No avgas at YCDU today

QFF
15th Nov 2013, 20:15
Rocked up at YCDU yesterday to find a man dismantling the old bowser and a brand new one beside it. Luckily the old one was still working despite the covers off. But he said they were switching over to the new bowser today (16 Nov 2013) and there would not be fuel available for about 6hrs.

He said it was "programmed" but I can't see any info on the notams, so if anyone is heading there expecting fuel, I'd suggest calling ahead to check.

Also a notice on the bowser saying no fuel at YCBP.

outnabout
16th Nov 2013, 01:22
The Airport Manager said they tried to NOTAM this but was refused.

Apparently, lack of availability of fuel is not a safety issue.

Weekend_Warrior
16th Nov 2013, 01:42
it is in NZ;

PARAPARAUMU (NZPP):

A2211/13 FROM: 08 NOV 2013 08:22 TO: 11 DEC 2013 11:00
AIR BP AVGAS 100 EASTERN APRON NOT AVBL

bankrunner
16th Nov 2013, 02:03
So New Zealand, the USA, St Lucia, the Netherlands, France, Trinidad and Ireland (just based on about 5 minutes of Googling for relevant NOTAMS) can NOTAM lack of fuel availability at an aerodrome, but apparently but we can't.

What makes Australia so special? Airservices simply can't be arsed, or like CASA do they simply know better than the rest of the world?

bentleg
16th Nov 2013, 03:39
so if anyone is heading there expecting fuel, I'd suggest calling ahead to
check

If you are counting on fuel at particular field (no alternate), ALWAYS ring beforehand to confirm!

Shagpile
16th Nov 2013, 03:50
I think the summary of this is:

1) Always ring the fuel guy (if not for the fuel, for the weather !)

2) If you are the fuel guy/aerodrome operator, put in your own notams. The notam writers don't have a magical sensory perception of lack of fuel at airport XYZ.

falconx
16th Nov 2013, 03:59
The Airport Manager said they tried to NOTAM this but was refused.

You wonder why

Shagpile
16th Nov 2013, 04:19
Oh damn, missed that. Wow.

outnabout
16th Nov 2013, 05:15
I understand that Avgas won't be available at Ceduna for 8 - 10 hours today only, as Air BP are maintaining the bowsers, and shifting the Jet A1 bowser.

It's all supposed to be done today, with normal ops resumed later today.

Avgas172
16th Nov 2013, 06:44
Would have been a good night in Ceduna tonight anyway .... A few cleansing ales plenty of pilot mates to chat with and a good feed at the pub ..... Life is not a rush ...:E

Aussie Bob
16th Nov 2013, 08:38
Avgas172 :ok: :ok: :ok:

Wish I had been passing through on an "urgent" charter. It takes a lot for some folk to learn that things are never that important.

Jack Ranga
16th Nov 2013, 09:02
I'm dismayed............:cool:

How on earth any of you think it's acceptable to depart your home airport without ringing every fuel stop 7, 5, 3, 1 days then immediately before departure is beyond me. Lack of airmanship is an offence of strict liability, punishable by dropping your daks before your local magistrate.

On a planned 1 hour training flight I ring my CFI to ensure fuel availability on my return.

Another thing, who the f@ck do you lot think your are? Fuel NOTAM'd out, dickheads :ugh: Australia consistently rates number 2 to Indonesia regarding fuel provision and service. Number 2! What more do you want.

I plan to be stuck at least three dates after a trip, anything inside that is a bonus. Get over yourselves, princesses.

Show some damn airmanship you unprofessional swill.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
17th Nov 2013, 01:17
The availability of fuel, or lack thereof, was never considered by the head honchos to be 'NOTAM' able.....

I have no real idea as to why, but
I guess that it was never considered to be a Govt supplied service, e.g. As nav aids and runways etc etc were /are.....a 'hang over' from the good ole days....

Now that even the airports are 'private' then it's up to the ad operator to issue relevant 'NOTAM', but oddly enuf, fuel is still not considered - one of the reasons given at the time was that there are just too many 'outlets' / 'variables' and the number of 'N's so generated would swamp the system.....
And besides, it's nothing to do with Air Traffic Services......so there..!!

So, as Mr JR says, ring ring ring.......

No cheers:eek:

(Griffo....now a confirmed / fully paid up member of the unprofessional swill....)
:ok:

Left_Pedal
17th Nov 2013, 01:29
I had exactly the same issue at YBUN, bowser was out of action due to a lightning strike and they were refused to put out a NOTAM. That's a massive safety issue considering the only other fuel bowsers available in the South West of WA is Manjimup and Albany.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
17th Nov 2013, 01:32
Not a 'safety' issue as such Mr LP,

If ya ain't got de fuel ya ain't goin' flyin'.....

Safe skies are.......
:}

Left_Pedal
17th Nov 2013, 01:39
I'm thinking more along the lines of CRM and TEM. Pilots who get that "get there itis" and think they can push on or "should be able to make it" to another source of fuel.

That's when things go wrong.

skkm
17th Nov 2013, 08:35
It seems the military are allowed to post fuel NOTAMs though. :roll eyes:\

YSRI:
HYDRANT REFUELLING AT PARKING POSITIONS 5 TO 11 NOT AVBL
FROM 09 120610 TO 11 290700 EST

Jabawocky
17th Nov 2013, 10:11
Ranga mate
I'm dismayed............

How on earth any of you think it's acceptable to depart your home airport without ringing every fuel stop 7, 5, 3, 1 days then immediately before departure is beyond me. Lack of airmanship is an offence of strict liability, punishable by dropping your daks before your local magistrate.

On a planned 1 hour training flight I ring my CFI to ensure fuel availability on my return.

Another thing, who the f@ck do you lot think your are? Fuel NOTAM'd out, dickheads Australia consistently rates number 2 to Indonesia regarding fuel provision and service. Number 2! What more do you want.

I plan to be stuck at least three dates after a trip, anything inside that is a bonus. Get over yourselves, princesses.

Show some damn airmanship you unprofessional swill.

I wonder how many people see and understand the ironic signifigance of your post..

THAT IS GOLD

I do not have a link to the tread where you copped a pasting for exactluy the same thing. WTF is wrong with fuel delivery to Ceduna??

Seriously......this is just as big a joke as most things from CASA and ATSB of late.. And no I am not joking at all.

Ceduna is not some one horse town and it is not far from Geelong or Perth so WTF????

As for NOTAMS and fuel issues.......that is something I will take up with a few folk that might have a sympathetic ear.......if it helps.

Jack Ranga
17th Nov 2013, 10:23
No Jaba, no one sees any irony in this F@CKING joke. Pontious dickheads will jump all over 'the pilot that doesn't exercise airmanship' by checking ahead for fuel. Does any body ring the shell on their drive to work to check fuel availability for their Datsun?

If you advertise fuel, provide the damn service or let people know you haven't got it, how hard is it? Either that or have the RACV carry 100 litres of avgas for when you have to call them.

Do everyone of you ring your destination to check fuel before you leave on EVERY flight you have undertaken? You WILL get caught out one day, when you do, post it here for all to give you a lecture on airmanship ;)

VH-XXX
17th Nov 2013, 10:43
I saw a guy use his ingenuity to overcome this fuel issue today in his 2 seater RAA aircraft by packing 3 x 20 litre plastic jerry cans on his passenger seat. Is that even legal?

Jabawocky
17th Nov 2013, 10:57
I was chastised enough today from a lady on BNE CEN..... :E

So when I wanted fuel from a country bowser and it has a STUPID and not similar card system, it took forever.......and it only gave me $300 worth :ugh::ugh::ugh:

And the morons who put in such systems wonder why we provide fuel from a professional supplier at Australia's biggest GA event from their trucks. :rolleyes:

The FBO's and the notam service need some group hugging......

I am with you bro :ok:

And clearly I need telling a bit more about level changes in class G :hmm:

17th Nov 2013, 11:00
As is is a change in information detailed in ERSA, I see no reason why it cannot be NOTAMed.

See ERSA Intro 4.3 and 4.4. As YCDU is a Certified aerodrome, information in ERSA is subject to NOTAM action.

Someone had better get the digit out.

catseye
17th Nov 2013, 11:14

it ties back to Icao. the question has been asked in the past without success. truss might change it though in the current climate.

bankrunner
17th Nov 2013, 11:29
I had an interesting conversation with a mate about this today.

This mate of mine flew into a country NSW aerodrome about 10 years ago on a longish cross country trip, after ringing ahead re avgas and being told it was available. He arrived to find that the bowser had gone U/S a day before he rang, and was awaiting parts.

Turned out the bloke who he spoke to on the phone only drove the Jet-A1 truck, and had nothing to do with the supply of avgas; as this bloke hadn't heard anything about the busted bowser from the other bloke who looked after the avgas, he'd simply assumed that there were no issues.

gerry111
17th Nov 2013, 11:43
My biggest gripe about AVGAS bowsers is that some still will not accept a credit card with an inbuilt chip. On a recent trip, YBHI fell into this category. And the card reader at YBAS was cranky. It eventually worked on the ninth try..

FokkerInYour12
17th Nov 2013, 13:04
Perhaps "AIR SERVICES" could accept _ANY_ information about an aerodrome with a 4 letter code and provide a "REMARK" comment at the bottom of your submitted flight plan to let you know:
a) Fuel type W not avaiable on Day X Hour Y -Z
b) Drag races happening on Day X Hour Y -Z
c) Farmer Jack might be traversing wildstock this month Day Y-Z
etc.

And Aerodromes have a secure page they can submit any and all such comments.

You don't land there, no issue.

And, if you have to divert, you can browse your phone or call ATC for advice about a particular strip.

Perhaps ASA could even charge for that too if you are unable to figure it out yourself (out of coverage range, out of time etc.)

Wow - charging for an actual service!

I reckon the guy in front of me about 12 years ago going into Caiguna would have appreciated some sort of service telling him, proactively, that Caiguna was completely underwater. Thankfully he did a go around and told everyone in the area that it was unserviceable. About 10 aircraft diverted as a result. We we running on "fumes" coming into Esperance due to far higher than forecast headwinds though (get-down-itis). Fumes = under reserves.

17th Nov 2013, 21:57
it ties back to Icao

Trouble is it is in black and white in ERSA Intro.

outnabout
22nd Nov 2013, 20:15
Well,I'm confused...

Ceduna airport says couldn't Notam the lack of fuel for one day.

But yesterday's Notams include:

YOOD:
Fuel not able
Amend ERSA
From 08 050949 to PERM

Don't understand why one location can and another can't - maybe because YOOD is perm???

pcx
22nd Nov 2013, 20:38
I suspect that the NOTAM office sees this as a permanent amendment to ERSA. Or maybe it is a simple as that it slipped through.
Bureaucratic BS but that is the way our system is.