PDA

View Full Version : SFI+TRI qualification

philleas fogg
12th Nov 2013, 05:22
Hi all,

I am an experienced pilot with FAA and JAA licenses. I am typed on numerous planes on my FAA and only the GV on my JAA license. I intend to qualify as a SFI+ TRI for the B737NG. Would appreciate any guidance and links for the way forward !

Cheers,

nick14
12th Nov 2013, 09:49
If you have recent experience there is no point getting the SFI, go straight for TRI as it gives you more scope and is much easier to revalidate and renew.

Course is the same for both as is the AoC but privileges are different.

philleas fogg
12th Nov 2013, 19:28
Thanks Nick.... can you suggest a place to get this course ?

4Screwaircrew
12th Nov 2013, 19:32
I would suggest that a 737 type on an EASA licence is the place to start, after that I suggest that most of the TRTOs could sell you the core course and the TRITs.

nick14
13th Nov 2013, 06:42
Do you have experience on the 737? You will need to hold the type in order to get the TRI certificate.

I'm not too sure on places to take a course for a TRI as my company trained me at its ATO. I'm sure there are some good course providers.

What country issued your JAA Licence and where did you want to go for the course?

philleas fogg
1st Dec 2013, 01:13
Thanks nick14.....my JAA was issued by Turkish CAA, i am willing to do the course wherever available.

slr737
1st Dec 2013, 10:04
There are several ATO in europe providing the course.

The UK one tend to be a bit more expensive but you get more sim and so more experience. I'll go to Iago for exemple.

There is a also one in germany quite good, cockpit4u

Also one or 2 in france. No idea for other country.

Course mostly is around 7000 to 9000 euro, last time I looked.

Just type TRI course 737 in google and you will find them.

for the TRI, you will need to be type rated on the 737 and have 30 sectors on it. Otherwise it is only a SFI rating (but still have to pay for the type rating course)

North Eastern
13th Dec 2013, 13:33
The SFI gives you the option to still work in the sim sans medical should your 'wheels fall off' in the future. Has worked for me in the past. Our Ops inspector all so recently confirmed that 'his interpretation' of the legislation is that one can obtain an SFE providing you are an E on the type before you lose your medical. Which is nice!

nick14
13th Dec 2013, 14:31
The TRI also allows you to work in the sim for a temporary loss of a medical and should you then permanently loose it you can always apply for an SFI cert with no additional training/checking.

The SFE is attainable as an SFI and there is no requirement to hold a licence or medical for either certificates, very useful for the retiring guys.

bluehawaii
16th Dec 2013, 00:55
Dear nick14, you need a current medical to qualify for SFE authorization, but a medical is not required for an SFI authorization.

BillieBob
16th Dec 2013, 06:29
Not under the new EU Regulation. No medical is required either for the SFI or SFE certificate.

nick14
16th Dec 2013, 06:29
No medical is required under my competent authority for either of those certificates and there is no requirement for it under the aircrew regulation. It's an extra requirement by the CAA which basically removes the advantages of the SFE certificate over the TRE.

bluehawaii
17th Dec 2013, 05:46
Dear Nick 14, just like you said "it's an extra requirement by the CAA which basically removes the advantages of the SFE certificate over the TRE". Therefore the extra requirement with UK CAA is a First Class Medical for an SFE certificate.