PDA

View Full Version : New engine mountings

LowNSlow
11th Nov 2013, 11:44
I'm about to start on the rebuild of an aeroplane and I will need an engine mounting as I don't even have a damaged one to repair. However, as the engine is going to be one of Mr Lycoming's ubiquitous O-320's the Lord ring is available from Aircraft Spruce and a drawing showing the dimensions and material specifications for the aircraft specific tubing to join the ring to the airframe is available.

The aircraft in question is an Annex II type so there will be no EASA involvement.

My question is, can I employ a CAA approved welder / company to make up a complete engine mounting using the pre-fabricated Lord ring (FAA approved)the original drawings and tubing to the original specifications?

If I can't do the above what are the alternatives as I can only track down one original engine mounting and I think that must be made of platinum given what the owner is asking for it.

KZ8
11th Nov 2013, 15:26
Difficult to advise without more facts.

Have you asked the licensed engineer/LAA inspector/BMAA inspector overseeing the project to advise?

All the best

KZ8

A and C
12th Nov 2013, 09:56
You are not allowed to manufacture an engine mount but I think if you have The Lord mounts you could consider this to be fabrication that is allowed.

I would advise that after you have had the mount FABRICATED you get it magnetic partical checked to ensure that you have no cracks in the welds.