PDA

View Full Version : Aware 5 vs Ipad (+ GNS 2000 & Aware App)

Okavango
11th Nov 2013, 08:40
Does anyone have any views on the advantages/disadvantages of and Aware 5 vs an Ipad with GPS receiver and App? On the cost fron it looks like £200 vs £400 though I'm thinking the Ipad (mini) will have more use elsewhere. What are others typically using?

Tomg89
11th Nov 2013, 09:07
Hi, Im a relatively new PPL, and have been using Ipad Mini Airbox RunwayHD + Dual GPS receiver, and so far has been excellent with a RAM suction mount, and using 1.5 charts. very simple, and enables you to compile a plog within the App, which can be compared with the old fashioned way, which is great.

Tom

Crash one
11th Nov 2013, 10:39
I've got the same.Went to Sywell on the strength of an Aware (original small one) & paper chart. Not difficult but constant ref to paper & cross checking!!!
Bought Runway HD and iPad mini, clip screwed to panel, perfect. With its weather & rain "radar" function I think it beats Skydemon into a cocked hat. I got the quarter mil set.

Okavango
11th Nov 2013, 11:51
Thanks. What is the cost of Runway HD with the 1:500 South of Engalnd Charts? Is Runway HD also better than Aware for the Ipad?

Otherwise I'm reckoning £250 for the Ipad mini and £85 for the GNS 2000 so I agree that's the way to go.

Tomg89
11th Nov 2013, 15:08
RunwayHD is free, im not sure they do an aware App. as the Aware and RunwayHD are both by the same company. Once you have RunwayHD its a subscription of about £90/year with GPS and 1.5 charts that are always updated with the new edition, and notams + map changes + weather if on wifi.

Tom

Okavango
14th Nov 2013, 07:03
Yes there's an App as below, so I guess it's a question of functionality vs cost as to whether to go for the RunwayHD subscription. Does anyone know if these will be put on to an Android Operating System soon? Seems like they're missing an awfully large chunk of market though I guess htey must have done some sort of exclusivity deal with Apple?

The Aware app:
How much will it cost me?

You can purchase the Aware app and use it on both your iPad and iPhone simultaneously.
Aware for iPad or iPhone with a single chart is £24.99. Whilst the chart itself does not update when a new version is produced by the CAA, the airspace digitally overlaid over the top of this chart is updated every AIRAC cycle change automatically for free.
The Aware app can also be purchased with the full UK CAA 500,000 charts for £59.99.
To renew an out of date CAA chart, simply delete the app and purchase a new version from the Appstore.

Tomg89
14th Nov 2013, 07:36
Bear in mind that you cannot plan a flight on the aware app, however you can on RunwayHD, and you still get the airspace warnings in RunwayHD....

banditb6
14th Nov 2013, 09:50
Or as an alternative depending on your requirements a Wifi only 8gb Samsung tab 2 with 7" screen is currently £89, or the new tab 3 is £139, I use the tab 2 with Skydemon.
£179 for first year then £89 each year after.
So £268 for your tablet and 1 years subscription, I bought an airbox aware and was a little dissapointed for the cost of it, if you just need a position fix then fine (although your phone can probably do that) but otherwise a bit slow and clumsy to use, or that might be me!

Skydemon have a video on Utube that shows you it all, I dont need an additional GPS receiver for the Tab 2 either.

Worth a look!

dublinpilot
14th Nov 2013, 12:25
If you only want a moving map with airprace, but no flight planning, you should consider UK AirspaceAVOID (http://www.pocketfms.com/AirspaceAVOID/indexUKAA.asp).

It's totally FREE and available on iPad, iPhone and Android.

All updates are also totally free, and airspace is updated every 28 days in accordance with the AIRAC cycle.

It's got the NATS 2013 compliance mark for airspace awareness.

Okavango
15th Nov 2013, 07:29
Thanks all. I contacted the developer of Aware & RunwayHD and there's no immediate plan to put them on Android. The planning facility looks good so it looks like it's a straight decision between Skydemon & Android or RunwayHD & Ipad.