PDA

View Full Version : Schools abroad

Muppetfly!
9th May 2002, 17:12
Apologies if this is a regular question - but has anyone got any good recommends for schools abroad doing the JAA FI (R)??

FTC South Africa looks promising - does anyone know if they will quote in Rand (and not GBP)??

Thanks very much!!

clear prop!!!
9th May 2002, 20:40
MF

It’s not clear where you are based or where you intend to use your FI rating.

If you are in the UK and intend to seek out one of the few FI jobs on offer here at the moment, I strongly suggest that you train here.

Most clubs and FTO’s are now very choosy, …‘cos they can be. Most that I know will offer jobs in the following order

1 an FI trained by themselves

2 an FI trained locally

3 an FI with loads of UK hours

9 a 'foreign' trained FI

No doubt, there are excellent approved schools abroad, but don’t put hurdles in your way, there are enough there as it is.

Good luck

Muppetfly!
13th May 2002, 12:16
Clear Prop,

Apologies if I was a bit vague. I'm currently US based but will shortly be returning to the UK. My thinking was that FI(R) ratings abroad could be done cheaper than in the UK, in much the same way as all the others.

Going on to your points regarding liklihood of employment they all make sense, however my impression was that now with the 700 hr CPL being reduced fewer instructors are coming into the business. I know given the current industry downturn those instructors already in jobs are less likely to be moving on, however I thought there were less coming in to take any places available.
I realise this may be a slightly rose-tinted view of the situation - what is the state of play in reality??

Thanks guys!

GoneWest
13th May 2002, 13:23
Muppet...call European Flight Training at Ft. Pierce, Florida.

Instructional quality is very highly regarded by the examiners that subsequently go through there.

Trevor Brackston is the FIC man - not cheap (heard $90 an hour for instruction, as well as cost of aircraft) - and will only work 4 days a week...but good instructor.

Phone: (772) 388 0834 or e-mail [email protected]

To be politicaly correct, there is also another school who are highly regarded by the examiners...IFT @ Stuart (International Flight Training - have no numbers to hand) .... but whilst they may be regarded as good by the examiners, their clients don't always agree.