PDA

View Full Version : EASA PPL VFR minima?

Contacttower
4th Nov 2013, 19:28
I'd be grateful if someone could help clarify this for me...

My understanding at the moment is that an EASA PPL, of any EASA state, can, if flying below 3000ft AMSL and 140kts IAS be legally VFR in 1500m flight visibility and in sight of the surface. They may also be out of sight of the surface above 3000ft AMSL.

The old restrictions on JAR/UK PPL VFR privileges have been dispensed with.

EASA PPLs can fly VFR to ICAO VMC minima which are also reflected in the UK ANO as the minima for VFR flight.

I know EU-OPS has a restriction on VFR needing 3000m visibility but that is for commercial operations so not relevant to a PPL holder. I know the European Rules of the Air are not in force yet but the version I have seen appears to allow VFR flight down to 1500m in the same circumstances as permitted in ICAO VMC minima.

Part-FCL does not mention anything about licence weather minima (I don't think?) and neither does Part-NCC/NCO. So therefore I assume that for private VFR flights the ICAO/ANO minima apply irrespective of whether an IR/IMC is held?

Have I misunderstood/missed something here?

Are there any other relevant documents?

Whopity
4th Nov 2013, 19:45
You are quite correct. The 3K limitation was part of the UK issued licence privileges as stated in the ANO schedule 7. This still applies to holders of a UK National PPL (5K for NPPL) but there is no equivalent restriction on the holder of an EASA licence (includes all JAA licences) and there is no limitation for such licence holders to remain in sight of the surface either.

skyfox2
4th Nov 2013, 19:49
It also depends which kind of airspace you re Flying in: F airspace minima is 1500 m with ground eye contact. In a D airspace minima is 5 km 300 m out of clouds and 600 m in Vertical out of clouds. You could request a special vfr to tower but you need the clearance

BEagle
4th Nov 2013, 20:57
VFR minima for EASA Part-FCL licence holders are the ICAO minima.

End of.

AberdeenAngus
4th Nov 2013, 21:02
Depends on whether you're in sight of a motorway :}

Contacttower
4th Nov 2013, 21:15
OK thanks people, you've confirmed what I believed...:ok:

bookworm
4th Nov 2013, 22:24
EASA PPLs can fly VFR to ICAO VMC minima which are also reflected in the UK ANO as the minima for VFR flight.

Have I misunderstood/missed something here?

Only that the UK Rules of the Air minima for VFR are in some circumstances less restrictive than the ICAO ones.

The requirement for a PPL without instrument qualification is to fly VFR, whatever that might be in the airspace. SVFR is also an option in a CTR.

Contacttower
5th Nov 2013, 22:44
Only that the UK Rules of the Air minima for VFR are in some circumstances less restrictive than the ICAO ones.

Just out of interest do you know which ones specifically are less restrictive? They look the same to me. :confused:

Big Pistons Forever
6th Nov 2013, 00:32
What is legal isn't necessarily what is smart. 1500m means that you will see very little of what is around you. It is extremely easy to get lost and/or disoriented in these conditions so you better have a good plan......

bookworm
6th Nov 2013, 07:22
Just out of interest do you know which ones specifically are less restrictive?

Rule 27(3) allows an aircraft to fly in controlled airspace without the specified distance from cloud when at or below 3000 ft and at an IAS of 140 kt or less. That one's important for the transition to SERA.

Rule 28 allows an aircraft to fly in uncontrolled airspace out of sight of the surface when at or below 3000 ft. That one's more academic.

Contacttower
6th Nov 2013, 07:45
Thanks. :ok: