PDA

View Full Version : SEP Renewal By Flight test

JT8D-17
23rd Oct 2013, 18:12
Hi

I am just wondering if anyone with a bit of knowledge on this subject help me out. Unfortunately it looks like I won't make the 12 hours requirement for the revalidation of my SEP rating this time. I still have 4 months or so left but with winter approaching and a busy few months at work coming up, I doubt I will get the hours in.

So what is involved in getting the rating back down the line in EASA land? What's involved in the flight test and will it cost me a small fortune and a lot of hassle? I have not done a check in a single for many years and the prospect of one scares me....

I would also like to get back my SEIR and use the 3 IFR departures and approaches rule along with the LPC from work to keep it valid. So again what is involved in getting this back.

Thanks for the help!

GipsyMagpie
23rd Oct 2013, 18:26
Srg 1157 shows the sep requirements for renewal or reval. Everything with an M is mandatory everything else at examiner discretion. No idea about the IR sorry. Basically it is 30 mins with an examiner. However, really try to get your 12 (Inc 1 hr instructional sortie). Far easier.

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Oct 2013, 21:48
The term is "Proficiency Check", but in reality it is basically a PPL skill test, except that there's no nav component (although getting lost during it, may well be cause for failure).

My advice would be to go and fly with a friendly instructor, ideally at a school with an in-house examiner. Have him/her take you through the mill a bit, and then debrief if about your skills and whether you're good to go straight for the PC, or need some remedial instruction. If as it sounds you are a current ATP with significant SE hours, I'd hope than an hour or two with an instructor will sort everything out and hopefully a good briefing and an hour with an instructor might be enough.

If it was at the school I do bits of instructing at, then I'd guess it would cost you in the order of £170 for an hour or so with an instructor, £250ish for aeroplane + examiner for a PC, maybe another £170 for a second brush-up hour with an instructor.

I don't know about the IR I'm afraid, but any school with an IRE/IRE on the team should be able to advise.

G

GgW
24th Oct 2013, 06:32
except that there's no nav component (although getting lost during it, may well be cause for failure).

Genghis, look at UK/CAA form SRG/1157 page 2. There is a Nav part to an LPC.
I keep it very short when I do LPC's. This is really the only part a candidate can get lost. For the General Handling part I (the examiner) is responsible for the Navigation and RT.

Genghis the Engineer
24th Oct 2013, 07:18
Fair comment - I suppose I really meant nothing equivalent to the NFT.

G