PDA

View Full Version : Planes - the movie

rmac
20th Oct 2013, 15:02
Took the kids to see "Planes" this morning ...actually quite good and should get a lot of little minds thinking about GA :-)

Airbus must have paid for product placement...almost every airliner in the movie was an A380...

Liked the in-jokes, like the mechanic replacing (do bears sh*t in the woods) with "does a PT6A have multi stage compressors" ?...only to be met with silence and blank looks from the assembled planes (pilots)

LOL..my position too..I don't know how they work..I just fly them ;)

Good clean fun :-)

Lew747
20th Oct 2013, 16:14
Used my 7 year old bro as an excuse to see it self a few weeks ago. Good movie! I noticed the A380's too. Surprising being an American movie. Lots of Cessna 152/172's though in the background. :cool:

Genghis the Engineer
20th Oct 2013, 17:08
I took two neices and a nephew to see it just after it came out.

With a 45 year age span, all of us pronounced it excellent. To quote my nephew Kublai (9)"when the sequel comes out I want to see it, and Planes 3, I want to see that as well." I agree with him completely.

Generally it has got quite poor reviews in the film press. In my opinion most of those reviewwrs are snobs who need to re-find some sense of play in their lives. Utterly recommended.

G

tmmorris
20th Oct 2013, 18:26
The plot is incredibly obvious, but everything else about it is great and the kids loved it. I suspect we will have to get the DVD. Mind you, my children don't need converting to GA...

g0kmt
20th Oct 2013, 20:56
I normally don't post but I had to add to this thread.

I took my nephew and his family to see this when it came out. The cinema was empty, I cant understand why. It was a great film, I missed the airbus bits though. What made me smile was that they got so much right. Except of course interchangeability. But hey its a kids film. One word though - Brilliant.

It cost me £1500 for a new telly though lol..

flyinkiwi
20th Oct 2013, 21:02
Liked the in-jokes, like the mechanic replacing (do bears sh*t in the woods) with "does a PT6A have multi stage compressors" ?...only to be met with silence and blank looks from the assembled planes (pilots)

When they said that I unintentionally said "yes" aloud and got puzzled looks from the kids sitting around me. :O:O:O

Genghis the Engineer
20th Oct 2013, 21:08
When they said that I unintentionally said "yes" aloud and got puzzled looks from the kids sitting around me. :O:O:O

Glad that wasn't just me then. The kids thought that was hilarious, my wife even more so.

G

Dave Gittins
21st Oct 2013, 13:33
BA have been advertising that it will be shown on their flights from mid- October.

I know what I'll be doing on the way to Denver in December.

sunday driver
21st Oct 2013, 21:59
BA were showing it in the back of the 'bus coming back from Athens a couple of weeks ago. Loved it - great attention to detail.
SD

Rwy in Sight
29th Oct 2013, 17:44
After reading the thread, I went yesterday to catch practically the last show. It was nice that my mate's wife ask for some space and send him along since I had two tickets for the price of one. We were the only adults without kids and fortunately we did not get any funny looks.

He is an aerospace system engineer and he did enjoy as well although he was trying to identify the Canadian plane. I pointed out it was Beechcraft but if someone knows more please drop a line. I did notice the A380's and I was curious why it took so long to remove the spray system.

Rwy in Sight
Nice film anyway