Severance
19th Oct 2013, 16:10
Yep, sure is.

NutLoose
19th Oct 2013, 16:12
Ahhh Brize Norton overflow ;)

Severance
19th Oct 2013, 16:19
The all important second runway. Good luck to the Voyager...... ;)

Wander00
19th Oct 2013, 16:40
Sev - wondered if there are any more photos from different angles, or of landing or take off - thought I might try a water colour..........but I am not that good..............

Severance
19th Oct 2013, 16:42
Happily I was on board for the take-offs and landings. What sort of composition are you after? I may have something similar kicking about....

Wander00
19th Oct 2013, 17:07
Lucky guy - just a field approach/landing or take off - grateful if you have something in your archive.

Severance
19th Oct 2013, 18:29
How about this one? Same aircraft taking off from a strip.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m298/zahc66/CRW_4090-1.jpg

Chaz

Wander00
19th Oct 2013, 18:50
Fantastic, thanks, will have a go at that next week, also the one of a C-130 taking off from Saunton Sands

Onceapilot
19th Oct 2013, 18:56
Superb. Aircraft, pictures and everyone who is involved.
Thanks for all the flights over the years, Albert!

OAP

haltonapp
19th Oct 2013, 21:01
The number four prop does not look right, is it set for a windmill start?
I can remember getting a buddy start from a Belfast, directly behind did not work, so we put right wing behind left wing, or the other way, can't remember which donk would not start. We did get the motor running but the co had to fly the ailerons to stop the aircraft tipping over! There that's dated me!!!
I can remember also doing strip landings on the "Upavon Gallops" the co was told to fly the elevators to cut down the stress on the nose gear from the dreaded hump and we got airborne at 80kts, acceleration was very poor!

glad rag
19th Oct 2013, 21:09
Re the static pics, gorgeous skies as a backdrop. :D:D:D

Severance
19th Oct 2013, 21:30
#4 is 'cuffed' for a piggy back start should the GTC fail. I've yet to have a GTC that's beaten me so I've never experienced the buddy start, thankfully.

side salad
19th Oct 2013, 21:32
A great aircraft and I'll raise a glass to some great crews that operated them :)

ancientaviator62
20th Oct 2013, 07:54
Severance ,
I think it was called a 'Buddy' start during my time on the Herc.
You would not really want to attempt a windmill start on a short strip as it took up a lot of runway. When SF Flight was first set up there were no dedicated airframes for SF.

Severance
20th Oct 2013, 10:27
I've been on quite a few windmill starts because I hate changing starter motors. :p

ksimboy
20th Oct 2013, 17:35
Only "Buddy"start I was ever part of was at Benbecula. Scared the willies out me watching Albert shake itself to bits. Amazing just how much vibration the tail withstood.

smujsmith
20th Oct 2013, 20:51
As a GE in the 80/90s I was unfortunate enough to experience both Buddy and Windmill starts. The Buddy start seemed, from the point of view of a mere simpleton like myself, to be nothing too demanding and a matter of throwing lots of prop wash at our "needy" donk. My first experience of a windmill start was "above and beyond".

We were returning from points East, and had night stopped in Riyadh. The start at our departure point on the No 4 engine seemed to drag itself out, and on arrival at Riyadh the Eng asked me to see if there was anything obvious to explain it. I looked inside the panels, no sign of damage, leaks, wear anything that could cause a slow start. I did a start on No 4 and it lit up nicely. After 3 hours, beyond the 15 hour day, I called it a day, got a cab and, believe it or not, set the alarm and went to bed.

The start the next morning is quite predictable. On pressing the "Tit" on No 4 no rotation was noted. With three running a quick discussion on't flight deck ensued, decision, offload pax, windmill start, collect pax and bugger off to LCRA, and a kebab. Gratefully, I was not awarded the status of "pax", and was allowed to observe my first windmill start, from a position behind the captains seat. ISTR an OAT around 32C and we shot off down the runway on 3 donks. As I saw it the windmill was basically an "air start" done on the ground, it needs some forward airspeed and we needed to stop before the end of the runway to collect our passengers (one of whom was a high ranking Diplomat). Well, No 4 started and Captain stood on the brakes, all 4 by now in reverse. Lots of stopping and a nice "fast" taxi off the last exit from the active. We collected our passengers and a quick look around the main gear bays confirmed some hot brakes, but nothing untoward. We sat on the parking spot for around 30 minutes to allow the brakes to cool,p and on taxiing the crew did a very thorough check that they were operative. Our progress towards Lyneham continued. I was lucky enough to find a spare starter motor at TASF Akrotiri, always a great place to get to for a GE. Especially when Libby was the encumbent. But having to change the two rear main wheels was a surprise, never noticed that in Riyadh:eek:

From personal experience, I feel that a "Buddy" start was probably less stressful for the aircraft and its components than a Windmill, unless of course, you could continue the take off after the windmill. Happy daze !

Smudge:ok:

haltonapp
20th Oct 2013, 22:00
I remember doing a windmill start as part of my OCU course at Thorney island, we went to Manston to do it, Len Schofield was my instructor, him of the famous "can you get me the Barnsley QNH co"! "Why"? "Cos I come from there young man"!!!

ExAscoteer
20th Oct 2013, 22:02
Never really liked Windmills nor Buddys.

Still, they were better than a Ferry Take Off!

ancientaviator62
22nd Oct 2013, 08:31
As I recall you needed a long runway for a windmill start as the SOP was to stop and resume normal procedures. Experienced several at Akrotiri using the 'offload/reload pax/cargo ' system as described by smudge.
Longest three engine ferry was Seeb To Akrotiri after offloading the gentlemen (and their kit) from Hereford after an exercise recovery. The engine was changed at Akrotiri and we set forth with a VC10 load of pax and aeromeds.
On the climb out the new engine developed an oil leak so we returned to Akrotiri. We were met by a huge, disbelieving reception committee. However as we shut down and the oil splattered on the pan the committee melted away just leaving the normal reception team !