PDA

View Full Version : Skydiving cats and dogs

mary meagher
18th Oct 2013, 20:33
One of the finest U-tube offerings, perhaps somebody technically competent could post it here, of a dog enjoying a negative gravity experience.

Wonder how many of you chaps take your mutt flying? any rules apply?

And what was that old story about testing a cat's ability to descend and make a landing without getting injured, which started out with somebody taking his cat as a passenger; it panicked, jumped out, and ran off, never to be seen again....so some Australian or other bushwanger type of pilots began deliberately dropping cats out of aeroplanes....I'd love to see some detail on this one...

WAC
19th Oct 2013, 00:08
Actually, from the science of it they would probably survive... Veterinary studies show that cats have a "dangerous range" of heights that falls within are the worst... Below the minimum they don't have time to position and land awkwardly with minor injury, but not fast enough to be severe, in the range they hit fast and still don't have time to prepare so cop the worst. Above the top of the range they hit their terminal velocity, which in their adopted falling position is lower than when not prepared, and land legs first absorbing shock. They suffer injury(pelvis and ribs most common) as they flatten out but survive with less damage than lower falls....even onto concrete.
So.... As weird as it seems a cat from altitude will probably walk away...

Pilot.Lyons
19th Oct 2013, 06:11
I saw a couple of videos once, cant remember on what, may have been u tube

One was of a man who took his dog everywhere he flew and the dog loved it and the other was a cat that sat on the dash in front of right seat watching everything!

Not sure how legal that is... Or what they would do if the animals had a **** fit and panicked

Bob Bevan
19th Oct 2013, 06:46
Given that I help my wife run the local branch of Cats Protection can I just suggest that testing out the theory on a cat's ability to cope with falling from a height is not a good idea! :=

Shaggy Sheep Driver
19th Oct 2013, 07:56
It's fine to drop dogs, though. :E

monacam44
19th Oct 2013, 07:57
Flying dogs are more common than you might think. I know several who fly with their dogs, both in helicopters and fixed wing. Chloe, my Mini Schnauzer, flies with us in the RV quite often and is quite happy. She normally sleeps!

jxk
19th Oct 2013, 13:02
Bulldogs and Terriers seem to cope OK:-)

S-Works
19th Oct 2013, 13:27
My Yorkie comes all over with. Several hundred hours of flight time. Gets the hump if she finds a human in the right hand seat!!

Nige321
19th Oct 2013, 17:57
86fVoioExE4:ok:

Whirlybird
19th Oct 2013, 19:02
Poor cat, he didn't like that. :{:{:{

BEagle
19th Oct 2013, 19:35
Actually, Whirls, Iris is a Bengal (hence utterly nuts) and she seems totally fearless - and a real sweetie! Google 'Bengal Cat Iris' for more clips of the little scamp.

Anyone even contemplating dropping a cat from an aeroplane should first be invited to experience the sensation themselves. Without a parachute. Such animal cruelty is utterly abhorrent....:mad:

Whirlybird
19th Oct 2013, 20:16
OK BEagle, possibly, if you know her. To me her thoughts looked like my partner's cat's did when he lived with her on a boat....I'll just sit here and put up with it, because I have to...miaow, MIAOW. Bengals are very vocal so maybe I read the miaows wrong, but I thought she looked quite disturbed at the end.

fernytickles
20th Oct 2013, 11:29
Loved the Iris videos - all of them - flying, sailing, doing her bit to clean up the environment. What a cool little cat :ok:

AirborneAgain
20th Oct 2013, 12:01
Clearly, the cat was disappointed because the fun was over... :)

Seriously, it seemed like the cat replied to the pilot talking to her. I don't know about Bengals in particular, but some breeds -- notably Siamese -- "talk back" to you when you talk to them.

Bob Bevan
20th Oct 2013, 12:14
Can I suggest you don't try going up with one of these in the RHS (the cat that is :)). They are called Maine Coons, and while they are as soft as they come, they may well put you over your weight limit!!!

I've met a few in real life and found myself doing a double take when seeing how big they are.

http://www.booksoncats.co.uk/images/articles/coon/coonbig.jpg

Whirlybird
20th Oct 2013, 16:38
What a gorgeous cat! I have two Maine Coons, but mine are "small" ie only around 6 kgs - some are 7-8 kgs. :) The older one wanders quite a lot, and is known locally as "That big cat who looks like he just walked out of the jungle". And...I haven't taken them flying.

Hydromet
20th Oct 2013, 21:17
I have a blind mate who parachutes with his guide dog.

He knows he's near the ground when the leash goes slack.

Hat, coat....

gemma10
21st Oct 2013, 09:37
Anyone got a headset for my german shepherd? :ok:

Pilot.Lyons
21st Oct 2013, 19:34
I have a blind mate who parachutes with his guide dog.

He knows he's near the ground when the leash goes slack.

Hat, coat....

Hahaha Love it

Victorian
22nd Oct 2013, 12:40
Our American cousins in the deep south go a little further with this by dropping live Turkeys out of aircraft (http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/FAA_Warns_Turkey_Drop_Pilots_205524-1.html)for Thanksgiving. So much so that the FAA have reportedly banned the practice, not so much because of the sickening animal cruelty aspect but because of the risk of them hitting persons or property on the ground. Still, when your mother is also your sister, what else do you do for amusement?