PDA

View Full Version : 1000' wind for T/L

gengen
18th Oct 2013, 15:21
Hello. Last week the wind was 35kts at 1000' and 40kts at 2000'. Surface wind was less than 15kts and vis/cloud base was not an issue. Some instructors thought this too much for a trial lesson or any sort of instructional flight, others thought it was ok for a 30 minute trial lesson. Any views?

Genghis the Engineer
18th Oct 2013, 15:40
You can see their point.

For a relatively inexperienced student, those conditions are going to be quite demanding and the learning benefits will be few.

On the other hand, for a trial flight conducted by a commercially qualified pilot familiar with the aircraft - it's entirely safe and flyable, and reasonable conditions to give somebody an air experience flight.

G

gengen
18th Oct 2013, 16:05
Thanks Genghis, I also thought it would be fine for an introductory 30 min air experience lesson for someone who had signed up for their PPL (not a dinner lady with an unwanted gift). Unfortunately others disagreed.

FlyingOfficerKite
21st Oct 2013, 11:29
I should have thought 20kts at 1000ft a reasonable maximum for a trial lesson.

In my opinion it's not the wind speed per se, but with a wind gradient of 25kts between ground level and 1000ft turbulence could be encountered somewhere in the flight (depending on location, terrain etc).

It's the likely turbulence which would be the consideration, not the absolute wind speed.

Trial lessons in any kind of turbulence can upset students (physically and/or mentally) and it would be a shame to spoil the experience and possibly lose a student if they were put off by a rough ride on their first flight.

FOK :)

FANS
21st Oct 2013, 13:51
Would expect it to be choppy.

It could be useful experience for a good & experienced PPL student.

Trial students - you'd probably put most off for life.

We always need a reminder that this is done for fun, not a scheduled service.

Cobalt
21st Oct 2013, 22:02
It all depends if you have enough sick bags left for the day...

I had students who got seasick on turn-out on a day as smooth as silk, and others who took roller-coaster rides that made grown men cry in their stride.

I would probably ask an instructor who has been up before how bad it was, and discuss it with the student, making it clear that there is no penalty for cancelling.

foxmoth
23rd Oct 2013, 12:15
I would probably ask an instructor who has been up before how bad it was, and discuss it with the student, making it clear that there is no penalty for cancelling.

Certainly ask someone who has flown if that is an option, and discussing with the customer is also a good option. Not likely to be smooth in these conditions, but it can happen, in which case no problem.

GgW
23rd Oct 2013, 18:35
Some instructors thought this too much for a trial lesson or any sort of instructional flight

Absolutely nothing wrong with those conditions. Ex 12,13 and 16 might be a little bit tricky for the student, but good practice. At the end of the day you want your student to be a competant pilot and not just somebody that can pass a skills test. However I would be careful with trail flights on windy days. I dont want to scare of a potensial student and only carry a limited supply of sickbags with me.

gengen
23rd Oct 2013, 19:48
Thanks guys. A good spread of opinions, as was the case on the day.