PDA

View Full Version : Transiting Solent CTA

StuartUK
13th Oct 2013, 19:36
Evening,

The majority of yesterday was spent on a training flight from Shoreham to Bournemouth and then onto Blackbushe before back to Shoreham. Having done a bit of research about transiting Solent CTA I was a little apprehensive. I'd heard that they were unhelpful and would almost certainly refuse my request at transiting their airspace. But this wasn't the case at all! I called them 15nm east of their zone, overhead Hayling Island at 2,500ft and to my surprise we were given transit clearance not above 2,500ft. Both of the controllers were happy & helpful, we received a radar service upon entering Solent CTA (which was fantastic as this was the first time I'd ever had this) before being passed through to Bournemouth.

This post is mainly just to say that if you're in the area then why not give the guys & girls at Solent CTA a call. They were nothing like what a few people have said about them on a couple of forum posts I've read. Happy, helpful, and professional.

Stuart

Genghis the Engineer
13th Oct 2013, 19:40
I'd heard that they were unhelpful and would almost certainly refuse my request at transiting their airspace

You were misinformed - I've been flying in that area for many years, and always found them as helpful as you did.

G

Lord Spandex Masher
13th Oct 2013, 20:18
You obviously didn't sound like the standard biffer on the radio:E

18greens
13th Oct 2013, 20:44
It's so pleasing to hear they are now a normal service.

I must admit my experience of them has been so full of curmudgeon to the point I simply ignored.

soaringhigh650
13th Oct 2013, 22:20
I'd heard that they were unhelpful and would almost certainly refuse my request at transiting their airspace.

It only applies to slow old men.

The rest of us can fly and talk on the radio okay.

piperboy84
13th Oct 2013, 22:44
While we are on the subject of highlighting great service from ATC, I would be remiss in not thanking Dundee tower for going above and beyond during my Friday evening stop over, On turning onto the active for departure the bracket that anchors the piston for my right brake pedal snapped. I requested a taxi back to the terminal which was approved with an offer of any help I may need, after shutdown and an inspection I determined the pedal was completely knackered and had a choice, fly back right seat or let my non pilot passenger work the right brake from his side (as I called out for it) and I would work the left. As light was fading fast I opted to stay left seat and taxied passed the tower with a bunch of zig zagging as we perfected our synchronized braking technique, which I suspect must have looked like we were completely pissed up. Upon approaching my home field Dundee again extended me the courtesy of providing me their current wind as they frequently do unsolicited ( my home field is close) and additionally requested that I call the tower when I get back on ground to make sure all went well with the landing, which I thought was damned decent of them. Again, thanks.

Edit:Sorry for hijacking your thread Stuart.

2 sheds
14th Oct 2013, 09:03
piperboy84

With no disrespect to Dundee ATCU, you are very kind but that's hardly above and beyond the call of duty, just the practical application of ATC responsibilities!

2 s

pudoc
14th Oct 2013, 11:16
I don't know who you've been talking to, Solent are great. I've never been denied a transit of Southampton or Bournemouth, I've done it at least 6 or 7 times. Always very helpful.

Marchettiman
14th Oct 2013, 11:48
I agree, and have always found Solent Radar really helpful in giving transits. I normally ask for 5000ft VFR or IFR and have never been refused. The only problem arises when some pilots start rambling on for 20 seconds or more, giving their life stories on the R/T instead of making a short transit request. It blocks the frequency for everyone else including the Controllers who sometimes seem to exhibit the patience of Job.

OhNoCB
14th Oct 2013, 14:15
we received a radar service upon entering Solent CTA (which was fantastic as this was the first time I'd ever had this)

I post this as much of a question as anything else.

It is my understanding that anytime you enter controlled airspace (D+) where the controller can see you on radar, you are under a radar control service and should be told so.

Talkdownman
14th Oct 2013, 15:23
CAS should have radar (but I can't find the definitive reference...) and type of air traffic service should be specified (somewhere in MATS Part 1...). ATCOs managing CAS are under direction to specify Radar Control Service, in the same way that Type of Service is specified outside CAS. RCS is regardless of whether the aircraft is being vectored or whether the pilot is navigating the aircraft. VFR pilots are usually left on own navigation as far as possible for obvious reasons but will still be told 'Radar Control Service'.

we received a radar service upon entering Solent CTA (which was fantastic as this was the first time I'd ever had this)
Er...don't get too excited about this...it's merely routine...

OhNoCB
14th Oct 2013, 15:50
Unless I'm mis-understanding the post TDM, I was not aware that CAS should have radar?

City of Derry / Eglinton (EGAE) For example have CAS on one half of the airfield (a laughable situation IMO) but as far as I am aware they are strictly procedural with no radar (though they may have an un-official feed). Perhaps this is a CAA / IAA difference (and hence the reason for the laughable situation?).

soaringhigh650
14th Oct 2013, 16:00
CAS should have radar

No. That's why a Procedural Control Service exists.

Tomg89
14th Oct 2013, 19:31
I'm a new PPL, and have completed training at EGLS, and now EGHO based, and have always found Solent extremely helpful, and more than happy to help, even when my R/T was a little obscure in the early days!
Heading down Southampton water between Totton and Calshot VRP's is really nice on a sunny day!

eastern wiseguy
15th Oct 2013, 02:10
CODA Eglinton has no radar period. The CAS you refer to is that portion of the approach to runway 08 which is contained within the SHANNON FIR . The rules in the Irish Republic require CAS of Class C. Any differences between states ......well take it up with the Belgrano.:rolleyes:

Morris542
15th Oct 2013, 09:55
Never had a problem with Solent and Southampton. Always had a request for a transit approved, they even offered me a transit when I was planning on staying outside which allowed me to cut the corner.