PDA

View Full Version : Gadgets to fly with

hegemon88
16th Sep 2013, 09:49
Hello everyone,

Before starting a new thread I did some searching through the forum and while I found a few threads about GPS/nav applications, I couldn't find much about the hardware which I'm about to use. Suppose I have already made up my mind to purchase a full SkyDemon subscription for my UK and nearby Continent flying. Suppose I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 phone and a Samsung Galaxy tablet. I know I can open SkyDemon on both of these, as well as on my PC when not flying. Now, both my Samsung gadgets have in-built GPS which I found has a short reaction time and generally knows where it is at all times. Do I still need an external GPS "dongle" like this (http://www.flightstore.co.uk/aviation-gifts-c221/writing-sets-c251/garmin-glo-bluetooth-gps-for-ipad-ipod-iphone-and-android-devices-p3471) or this (http://www.flightstore.co.uk/pilot-supplies-c1/ipad-ipad-mini-c31/ipad-bluetooth-receivers-c32/dual-xgps-160-skypro-gps-receiver-p4130)? I think it is necessary for the iPad for example - has any of you got experience with Samsung (or other Android) stuff?

Thanks,

/h88

BabyBear
16th Sep 2013, 09:56
iPad 2 has been great with internal GPS, Samsung Galaxy 3 has been very poor with it dropping SD on a regular basis.

BB

dirkdj
16th Sep 2013, 10:05
I use a Nexus7 with Skydemon. After last week's update, it performs flawlessly (scrolling was a bit slow before). I never had a drop in GPS signals using the internal GPS receiver. The size and picture quality are perfect for cockpit use.
Remember to turn off the GPS when not using it since it draws quite some power.
I have about 25 hours with the combination since April, both IFR and VFR. There is a new version of Nexus7 (FHD?) coming out right now, but older versions can be had for less money.

BackPacker
16th Sep 2013, 10:47
There are only three reasons why you would need an external GPS (such as the Garmin Glo).

1. Your tablet doesn't come with an internal GPS (which is the case with the Wifi-only iPads for instance. But all 3G iPads have an internal GPS).
2. You suffer from bad GPS reception in whatever location you mounted the tablet. This is mostly airframe dependent. Some people have never had a drop of signal no matter what they do, others report consistent drop of signal as soon as they move into the cockpit. Me, I know I should not put the iPad between the seats, but otherwise it's fine.
3. The Garmin Glo and similar supposedly have a higher update rate than an internal GPS, which leads to a more accurate track recording/position fixing. Plus, these external GPSs typically record the track you flew, independently and automatically. Which might be useful if you use an app on the tablet which doesn't do track recording.

My advice would be to try it out without an external GPS first, on a few flights. You can always get an external GPS later.

hegemon88
16th Sep 2013, 11:58
Thank you all for the replies so far. Does anyone know where one could get a mount system for the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 or 8? Whichever pilot store I go to, most of the stuff there is for iPads! :ugh:

/h88

BackPacker
16th Sep 2013, 13:35
It all depends on how/where you want to mount it, and what type of surface you mount on.

These guys seem to be able to have a mounting solution for everything, but you do need to mix & match a bit to get optimum results. If you click on "Aviation" there's a wizard which will help you choose, and it seems to include the Galaxy Note.

RAM Mounting Systems, Inc. (http://www.rammount.com/)

dirkdj
16th Sep 2013, 14:40
I put it on my lap, just like the old non-moving paper maps. What you don't want to do is to look at it constantly. You find a heading that will work and then you hold that heading (or the autopilot does).

You need some kind of cover, I have one in leather that folds open like a book. About 15-20€ will get you a nice one. This will also give some protection against shocks and falls.

Depending on the sun angle, I put the Nexus7 on my left leg, my right leg, or on the RH seat if unoccupied. A cigar-lighter USB adapter provides plenty of power. If aircraft power would fail, I still have more tablet duration than fuel duration.

I do airways flightplanning on Rocketroute and then copy/paste the route data to Skydemon. I have wifi-only and in most hotels and airports you get access. I have 32GB version and that is plenty but I do a lot more on the tablet than just aviation.